GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mid Life GTI Journey

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
This is the first I’ve heard of EQT TOP & my charge pipe not playing well together. Have any pictures?
It’s just barely off I’m not worried about the coupling coming off under boost. It just wasn’t perfectly lined up when tightening the clamps. I matched marked the piping when I initially took it off and the end coupled to the intercooler was about 1/8-1/4” away from the match mark. I’ll play around with the fitment again in the morning.
4DAD7714-6432-40A5-8D39-C7577544C8BC.jpeg

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It’s just barely off I’m not worried about the coupling coming off under boost. It just wasn’t perfectly lined up when tightening the clamps. I matched marked the piping when I initially took it off and the end coupled to the intercooler was about 1/8-1/4” away from the match mark. I’ll play around with the fitment again in the morning. View attachment 266083
Almost exactly what mine looks like too.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It’s just barely off I’m not worried about the coupling coming off under boost. It just wasn’t perfectly lined up when tightening the clamps. I matched marked the piping when I initially took it off and the end coupled to the intercooler was about 1/8-1/4” away from the match mark. I’ll play around with the fitment again in the morning. View attachment 266083

Looks like you reused the HPS 2.5 - 2.38 reducer.

EQT is 2.5” so you need a 2.5” straight coupler & 2.88” t bolt clamp (I use specific clamps to perfectly match so the one you’ve got on the small side of the reducer is 2.75”).

For reference those HPS reducers are $30+ each so definitely hang onto it.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
The GTI went through some major surgery the week before Thanksgiving. I really enjoy the research and installation of upgrades on my car. At this point I have installed everything on the car myself minus the BAUN FMIC and BFI motor and trans mount insert. I have purchased a few more tools and learned a lot along the way.

My vacation started off with the plan to just upgrade the clutch to the RSR hybrid unit. Once I gained access to the flywheel however, I was not 100% happy with how it looked. I opted to place an order that Friday night for a new oem Sachs dmf from FCPEuro. The flywheel did not arrive until the following Tuesday.

While the trans was out and the car was demobilized, I made the decision to remove the turbo. I completed the turbo removal on Saturday night and installed the new EQT IS38+ the following morning. With all the room I had to work with since the downpipe and LSD were removed, it made my first turbo swap enjoyable. Just because o-rings come with a kit doesn't mean you should install them. There were 2 o-rings with the kit, one being the turbo muffler oring which was pinched upon arrival, and a coolant line o-ring that was not the correct size, that I had to replace. I have an o-ring kit that has come in handy over the years that made this issue a no nevermind.

Once the new flywheel arrived I installed that, the clutch, the trans and LSD on Tuesday night. The following day I wrapped up reassembly and made the modification to my stock exhaust to accept the beautifully built BAUN performance midpipe and V2 downpipe. Once everything was wrapped up I used @GTI Jake suggestion of disconnecting the HPFP on first startup to help lubricate the new turbo. I did use some Liqui Moly turbo additive during initial installation but didn't feel like much got into the turbo. The car cranked about 10 time and actually started up with the HPFP disconnected. I then topped off the coolant and made a thorough inspection to ensure there were no leaks before taking her on a test drive. EQT does not claim that their wastegates are calibrated when you opt to purchase one from them but the one I received installed from EQT was at 3.7 volts per the COBB Accessport which made things easy. I did not do any sort of wastegate adaptation since I did not adjust voltage - I believe this to be correct, please let me know otherwise.

The new RSR Hybrid clutch bites nice and although there is significant chatter is is very nice to shift and a huge upgrade over stock. I am going to break it in for the suggested 1000 miles before I really get into boost, and man is that hard! I want to hear the new setup come to life!

I will be changing the oil for some fresh Liqui Moly 5w40 as well as a full coolant flush this week. I also contacted @StorableComa regarding his coil grounding kit and one is on its way. The oem setup is less than desirable as we all know. When cold, I would have to hold back the ground post hardware with needle nose vise grips just to get the jam nut loose.

My PLAN is to enjoy the car and get out on the track a few times next year. CMP and VIR are on my short list. I would also like to help organize a forum meetup and meet some of the other members in the coming year. Until then, I don't see too many other mods that I am itching to do, yet.

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I would also like to help organize a forum meetup and meet some of the other members in the coming year.

Back of the Dragon in mid-late January? @Treadup, @swcrow, @GTI Jake, @tigeo, @StealthGTI

EQT does not claim that their wastegates are calibrated when you opt to purchase one from them but the one I received installed from EQT was at 3.7 volts per the COBB Accessport which made things easy. I did not do any sort of wastegate adaptation since I did not adjust voltage - I believe this to be correct, please let me know otherwise.

Sounds good to me. 3.7v is within the good to go range and I wouldn’t have done the adaptation either if it was already there.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Back of the Dragon in mid-late January? @Treadup, @swcrow, @GTI Jake, @tigeo, @StealthGTI

Sounds good to me. 3.7v is within the good to go range and I wouldn’t have done the adaptation either if it was already there.
Be happy to join in, did it earlier this year on my way to Alpine Volks Fair down in Helen, GA and grabbed 1/2 dozen runs on the ToTD on the way back. Back is a lot of fun but still think Tail is a better road/more fun drive and it's shorter - but I get the crowd issue. When I did Tail it was light w/r to traffic and we had a blast. On the back on the run in the video below, I litterally had the entire run to myself b/c of the construction had it stopped for about 15 min and I negotiated with the couple cars in front of us to let my buddy and I get out in front when they opened it up. That time of year need to verify road conditions and ensure no snow/ice at upper elevations.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Would LOVE a dragon run! Been wanting to do one for a long time! Those shadowy areas on the way in at the 270 degree turns would be somewhat scary LOL

BUT DID YOU DIE?!

All the sketchy Rally car things, including dirt road ridge crossings, definitely made for better memories than a perfectly sunny day haha.

But yeah, 60-70F would be cool too

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
BUT DID YOU DIE?!

All the sketchy Rally car things, including dirt road ridge crossings, definitely made for better memories than a perfectly sunny day haha.

But yeah, 60-70F would be cool too
sure didn't, but I tore up my new ASPS4s FO SHO lol......those shadow turns had legit ice on them.....was awesome. Minus that stupid woman in a minivan that WOULD NOT GET OFF THE ROAD

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
We will be at my sister in laws place up in Canton, NC outside of Asheville the weekend of December 10th. Maybe we could figure out even a small meet up with whoever is around that weekend.

I want to run VIR so bad. I’ve walked that track at night several years back when we were there for a track day event.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
We will be at my sister in laws place up in Canton, NC outside of Asheville the weekend of December 10th. Maybe we could figure out even a small meet up with whoever is around that weekend.

I want to run VIR so bad. I’ve walked that track at night several years back when we were there for a track day event.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

It's so fun - do it!