GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Micro SD card recommendation?

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Hey guys, so I had my head unit (2019 SE) fail to turn on and display the rear back up cam on a few occasion. I took it to the dealership to have it looked at and they blamed it on my sd card. They said that my sd card is prob corrupted and needed to be replace but never gave me a proper answer as to which sd card I should get.
Has anyone have a similar experience on this and can chime in to recommend a VW compatible sd card? I mainly use it to store music when I don’t have access to radio or internet services.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
I don't think there's a 'compatible' SD card, just use a good quality SDHC (not micro, unless yours is diff from mine). I'm using a 128gb SanDisk Ultra class10.
Pull your current card and pop it into your computer and run a test on it...

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
I don't think there's a 'compatible' SD card, just use a good quality SDHC (not micro, unless yours is diff from mine). I'm using a 128gb SanDisk Ultra class10.
Pull your current card and pop it into your computer and run a test on it...
I’m ignorant on this subject but how do you test it?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
No SD card is 100% foolproof and they are all prone to corruption. I've had several go bad over the years but, since they are relatively cheap these days, I just toss the old one, get a new one, transfer the data to it and move on. Just get a name brand like Kingston, SanDisk, Samsung, and get the largest you care to afford as well as the fastest one they make.

As for checking it on a PC, on Windows you just right click it in Windows Explorer, select Properties, Tools and then Error Checking - Check. If it finds issues it tries to fix them. That's the basic way. Not always successful. You can also reformat it and don't check "quick format". Let it do a full format which checks it and marks any bad sectors as bad and won't use them for data. That helps. But, in my experience, once an SD card starts to go bad, it's not long before it's really bad and useless. So a new one is probably best.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
No SD card is 100% foolproof and they are all prone to corruption. I've had several go bad over the years but, since they are relatively cheap these days, I just toss the old one, get a new one, transfer the data to it and move on. Just get a name brand like Kingston, SanDisk, Samsung, and get the largest you care to afford as well as the fastest one they make.

As for checking it on a PC, on Windows you just right click it in Windows Explorer, select Properties, Tools and then Error Checking - Check. If it finds issues it tries to fix them. That's the basic way. Not always successful. You can also reformat it and don't check "quick format". Let it do a full format which checks it and marks any bad sectors as bad and won't use them for data. That helps. But, in my experience, once an SD card starts to go bad, it's not long before it's really bad and useless. So a new one is probably best.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out on this. I’ll do some more research and get that going.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Not sure the connection between the SD card and the backup cam issue. Did the dealership swap one to show it worked?

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Not sure the connection between the SD card and the backup cam issue. Did the dealership swap one to show it worked?
Nope. I suspect it had something to do with them working on my hatch door due to a faulty cracked hatch grommet and screwing up the harness then blaming it on my sdcard. Of course I don’t have definitive proof of this.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
If that problem is caused by a corrupt or otherwise defective SD card, I'll eat my airedale.

That said, try a high-quality one as others have suggested. I doubt it will make any difference, but gotta eliminate the card or these JAMFs probably won't help you. Good luck, thankfully still under 6/72 warranty.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
SD card causes head unit/b/up cam failure?

cough *bullship* cough

I wouldn't want to troubleshoot an intermittent electrical problem in a VW either

take card out and see if the display unit/camera works. If it does look them in the eye when you ask "why does it work now?"