GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin PSAS 4

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
The Michelin AS3+ ride far too harshly for me. It seems the AS4 may have softer sidewalls. I am considering ordering the Quatrac Pros for year round use. They have been receiving great reviews on Tire Rack and are rated as an Ultra High Performance All Season tire by Consumer Reports with the same overall score as the AS3+.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
400 treadwear, 40k treadlife warranty and not michelin thats a hard pass from me dawg.

Had lots of tires that were other brands over the years, all of them inferior to michelin. There's a reason they're more expensive, they are better and they have a better warranty.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If I don't need winter use, which the AS 4 improved upon, should I go with the AS 3+ instead (if I can find them).....or is the AS 4 still going to be the better tire regardless?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If I don't need winter use, which the AS 4 improved upon, should I go with the AS 3+ instead (if I can find them).....or is the AS 4 still going to be the better tire regardless?
Dry grip improved on the as4. Even though the as4 is an all season, it’s outperforming max summer tires. That’s pretty unprecedented.

michilin (spelling?) used some kind of sunflower oil in the compound. Hence why it can perform great in the dry while not cracking and chunking off in the cold.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Well I'm just looking for more grip, but something that won't wear out quick either & these seem to fit the bill.
I have snow tires, but I don't want to be swapping them on when it gets 40 degrees & hovers around there....I wait until last second/when it starts snowing to throw those on, so that's why I want A/S's too.

And Tire Rack lists these 5lbs lighter/each than my current tires too, so that's a HUGE plus too IMO.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well I'm just looking for more grip, but something that won't wear out quick either & these seem to fit the bill.
I have snow tires, but I don't want to be swapping them on when it gets 40 degrees & hovers around there....I wait until last second/when it starts snowing to throw those on, so that's why I want A/S's too.

And Tire Rack lists these 5lbs lighter/each than my current tires too, so that's a HUGE plus too IMO.

Coming from Indy 500 I don’t feel like I’ve given up an dry warm day grip at all.

Needless to say on my 47* commute just five minutes ago their cold dry performance was night and day better than the Indy 500.

I still haven’t found the limit or any indication of it, and probably won’t on the street because the car just works with them. Granted I’ve done some suspension mods recently that also have the car feeling great but can’t see these tires letting you down regardless of stock/modded suspension.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I’ve had the AS 3+ (225/40/18) and the AS 4 (235/40/18) back to back. Granted a bit more sidewall on the 235s but they definitely ride better. Improved grip as well. Cold...we shall see soon enough.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I didn't read every post but the UTOG for the "All Season" PSAS4 is 540 vs. 300 for the PS4S, with the same 10/32 tire depth. It can't possibly ride as well or handle as well with that hard a rubber.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I didn't read every post but the UTOG for the "All Season" PSAS4 is 540 vs. 300 for the PS4S, with the same 10/32 tire depth. It can't possibly ride as well or handle as well with that hard a rubber.
Sidewall is a touch softer on the as4 vs the 4S’s. It makes up for it. The rubber also loosens up rather quickly too. It does harden up at rest though.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's better wearing, but not harder sidewalls, two different things going on there. The AS3+ did have harder sidewalls than the PS4S, but I think the AS4 seem to be roughly similar. And you are certainly correct that in warm conditions or on track, a PS4S will have a clear handling advantage over either AS tire. However the AS will be much better behaved in cooler weather. It's all a trade off, I've had the AS3+ on this car and now the AS4 and will likely do PS4S when the Apex wheels drop. I've had the PS4S on different cars and they're a good tire, the all seasons are just a better fit for my immediate needs, but splitting usage between AS and Summer doesn't bother me either as the AS3+ were almost sufficient for my snow needs and I'm hoping the AS4 will be that little bit better.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It's better wearing, but not harder sidewalls, two different things going on there. The AS3+ did have harder sidewalls than the PS4S, but I think the AS4 seem to be roughly similar. And you are certainly correct that in warm conditions or on track, a PS4S will have a clear handling advantage over either AS tire. However the AS will be much better behaved in cooler weather. It's all a trade off, I've had the AS3+ on this car and now the AS4 and will likely do PS4S when the Apex wheels drop. I've had the PS4S on different cars and they're a good tire, the all seasons are just a better fit for my immediate needs, but splitting usage between AS and Summer doesn't bother me either as the AS3+ were almost sufficient for my snow needs and I'm hoping the AS4 will be that little bit better.
On tire racks site. U can see the snow performance of the as4. It’s better than the dws by a good bit!