GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin PSAS 4

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
The reason I went with the AS3+ over the PS4S is because I wanted something that would wear a little better.
My GTI is my DD so it is stock otherwise. If I had some supporting suspension mods maybe I would choose differently.
I have a pretty long daily round trip that is 90% highway driving so I don't need to overkill it in the tire department lol.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The reason I went with the AS3+ over the PS4S is because I wanted something that would wear a little better.
My GTI is my DD so it is stock otherwise. If I had some supporting suspension mods maybe I would choose differently.
I have a pretty long daily round trip that is 90% highway driving so I don't need to overkill it in the tire department lol.
Same, I was driving about 25k miles a year and feeding the PS4S habit just wasn't worth it. The extra life of A/S 3+ was nice. Now I'm down to about 6k miles a year, but we still use my car for skiing and such, so AS4 will likely happen.

Loopy

Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I don’t know why you bought all seasons considering where you live. Get the PS4S and call it a day.
Well, if you drive in local mountains in winter you can often encounter low temps 30-40 even is there is no snow. I bought into the idea the AS3 was almost as good as summers.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Well, they are pretty much as good as you're going to get for an all season and really not too far off from summers.
Not sure about the turn in issue you are having...I have not noticed that.
Not trying to insult your driving but are you sure you are not just pushing too hard through corners because the tires are grippier and you can actually take the turn a bit faster?

Edit: what tire pressures are you running?

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Agree, having had both PS4 and AS3+, if anything, turn in and sidewall stiffness on the AS3 is actually higher. Since the AS4 just came out, I'm sort of just waiting for the PS5 at this point. I've had PS2, PSS, PS4S and AS3 and AS3+, might as well keep up the collection.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Agree, having had both PS4 and AS3+, if anything, turn in and sidewall stiffness on the AS3 is actually higher. Since the AS4 just came out, I'm sort of just waiting for the PS5 at this point. I've had PS2, PSS, PS4S and AS3 and AS3+, might as well keep up the collection.
The tire installer said the sidewalls on the AS4 felt noticeably more stiff than the AS3+. But we didn’t know if that was related to the AS3+ having about 15k KMs on them (street only).

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The tire installer said the sidewalls on the AS4 felt noticeably more stiff than the AS3+. But we didn’t know if that was related to the AS3+ having about 15k KMs on them (street only).
Well that would certainly be a nice change.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I have new AS/3+ on my 2018 autobahn (stock suspension) and am pretty disappointed in them. They replaced the factory all seasons and although they have more outright grip I find they have worse “turn in” on sweeping curves than the crappy factory tires. Like the car has more understeer. I live in CA and dont need AS but sort of believed they were nearly as good as summer tires for a DD so why not, but I find them quite annoying , I always seem to need more steering angle than I should on fast curves and end up ‘sawing’ at the wheel.
But after reading https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...stickier-tires-impact-an-electric-cars-range/ they seemed to get a massive jump in grip going from AS/3+ to Pilot Sport 4S - going from .87g to 1.1g is incredible. Any comments? I’m ready to dump the AS/3.

Are you using them with the stock wheels? According to the Tire Rack measurements the tread width is not ideal for anything less than an 8 inch wide wheel. I believe the OEM wheels are 7.5 or 7.75 inches wide. I also experience sloppy steering with them but my main complaint is the ride quality. I am dumping mine in another month or two.

Well that would certainly be a nice change.

You want stiffer than the AS3+?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You want stiffer than the AS3+?
Yeah, but I've come from the world of BMW RFT's and M Cars, which both ride fairly rough. The GTI is almost comically smooth, I'd give some of that up for quicker turn in and a smidge of feel.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Just a follow-up on the new rubber: have had them on for a few days and put some miles on them recently. First, my impressions are based on the context of my previous tires which were the Michelin PSA3+. Second, my impressions are based on going down the same roads/routes I have done for years so I'm familiar with the nuances of the road and how it translates to the car.

The number one impression is the sidewalls are more compliant. That translates to two critical items; turn-in and general ride. The turn-in, though sharp, is not what it was with the older tires. Its not sloppy, simply feels like its not taking as hard of a line with initial turn-in, maybe a fraction slower to take a solid stance after the initial turn-in. Second, and has been my favorite, is the ride. Definitely more compliance over known bumps and expansion joints on the road. The tires are quieter but that may simply be me getting used to older tires and it was a known issue with PSA3+'s. So, new tires, less cabin noise. But for me the tires have been a nice surprise and personally like the pairing of these tires with my suspension setup. I haven't tracked them and I'm not sure I will but for a daily driver, not sure you could do much better.

imtimmy

Ready to race!
I have new AS/3+ on my 2018 autobahn (stock suspension) and am pretty disappointed in them. They replaced the factory all seasons and although they have more outright grip I find they have worse “turn in” on sweeping curves than the crappy factory tires. Like the car has more understeer. I live in CA and dont need AS but sort of believed they were nearly as good as summer tires for a DD so why not, but I find them quite annoying , I always seem to need more steering angle than I should on fast curves and end up ‘sawing’ at the wheel.
But after reading https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...stickier-tires-impact-an-electric-cars-range/ they seemed to get a massive jump in grip going from AS/3+ to Pilot Sport 4S - going from .87g to 1.1g is incredible. Any comments? I’m ready to dump the AS/3.
I have new a/s3+ waiting in the garage, about 2k left on the super sports. Tired of buying sport tires every 18 months so after reading reviews thinking the all seasons from Michelin will help in Texas rain with cold and still perform, dry or wet. Hopefully not giving up too much performance in dry. I’ve had the 4s before the super sports and yes, they grip better, and it is noticible at least on my car, Golf r. I went with the super sports because they were about $50 less a tire at the time than the previously purchased 4s’s. I am getting slightly better tread life on the super sports than I did the 4s, but maybe only 3k more. The reviews for the A/S 3+ has the tread life ranging from 20-40k actual user miles from what I read. If I can get 30k or more I’d be happy.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
The reviews for the A/S 3+ has the tread life ranging from 20-40k actual user miles from what I read. If I can get 30k or more I’d be happy.

I put my AS3+ on around 40k miles (maybe a little under) and just hit 60k the other day.
I bet I can put another 20k on them before having to replace them. Assuming they wear at the same rate they have been...
I am not very hard on them though. I can be at times, but it is rare. However it is all daily driving.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I put a little over 40k on my AS3+'s and probably could have squeezed a little more out of them but I was definitely getting hydro-planing and some general squirrelliness at that point. Just installed the new Michelin PSAS4's and really like them so far... treadwear rating is supposedly a little better than the AS3+'s but we'll see...