GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin PSAS 4

w124_karl

Ready to race!
Just FYI to everyone, there are some pretty good incentives on Michelins right now and the Pilot AS 4 is included.
I might not be able to hold out any longer. :)

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, I need two new AS 3+, but the lower pricing on AS 4 has me considering just moving over to them completely.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Mine were a bit delayed. ETA now next week.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Installed this morning. Moved from 225/40/18 A/S 3+ to 235/40/18 A/S 4.

I know the tire size is not the same. So it’s not exactly apples to apples. Old tires had only ~15k KMs on them.

The A/S 4 are much quieter and the ride is a lot better. Dry traction and handling is at least as good. I found the 3+ were excellent in this regard anyway.

Attaching some (crappy) pics. Need to get the mounting grease and crap off of the wheels / tires now.

Attachments

• DDFBCD8F-8060-4F71-90C5-BFCF8C675703.jpeg
    DDFBCD8F-8060-4F71-90C5-BFCF8C675703.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 1F73989D-B0B2-42A5-B03E-75EF7179DD83.jpeg
    1F73989D-B0B2-42A5-B03E-75EF7179DD83.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 62254652-A87B-41C7-8305-E0B0CD0D89AE.jpeg
    62254652-A87B-41C7-8305-E0B0CD0D89AE.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 380

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

I know the tire size is not the same. So it’s not exactly apples to apples. Old tires had only ~15k KMs on them.

The A/S 4 are much quieter and the ride is a lot better. Dry traction and handling is at least as good. I found the 3+ were excellent in this regard anyway.

Attaching some (crappy) pics. Need to get the mounting grease and crap off of the wheels / tires now.

They definitely look good.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah, they claim the Corvette can put up 0.99g on those tires. I imagine when they say "all weather" they just mean you can drive very slowly in a dusting of snow. I had a constantly flashing stability control light the last time I was in about three inches of snow with the AS3+.

I've got all weather Nokians on my car while I wait for the Apex wheel buy to happen for my summer tires. The Nokians are a pleasant surprise, performance-wise in the summer. They're shockingly good in the snow. I'm looking at the PS4S as my 3-season tire, as I have to deal with a wide temperature range. Performance summer tires aren't the best when the temps drop below 50 degrees or so. The Goodyears might be a good alternate choice for me.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've got all weather Nokians on my car while I wait for the Apex wheel buy to happen for my summer tires. The Nokians are a pleasant surprise, performance-wise in the summer. They're shockingly good in the snow. I'm looking at the PS4S as my 3-season tire, as I have to deal with a wide temperature range. Performance summer tires aren't the best when the temps drop below 50 degrees or so. The Goodyears might be a good alternate choice for me.
Same boat as you with regard to the Apex. And yeah, my M Coupe was a handful below 40 degrees, regardless of precipitation.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Aren’t the PS4S performance summer tires?

Didn’t realize they were calling the A/S 4 “all weather” as opposed to “all seasons”.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie

Literally got this done today. New RSe10's 18x8 with 235/40/18 PSAS (the new ones to replace the A/S3+). I would agree with the quiet ride but then I am chalking that up to comparing to old tires that had more than 40k on them plus a few DE's, and I went up a notch from 225's to 235. So, all in, thought that had more to do with it than anything else. Surprisingly, the A/S3+ still had some tread on them. I could probably track them one more time if I really wanted to squeeze all the juice out of them...

Attachments

• RSe10.jpg
    RSe10.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 633

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Aren’t the PS4S performance summer tires?

My bad- I gave an incorrect tire model name. The all-season tire is the PS4AS https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+All+Season+4

Didn’t realize they were calling the A/S 4 “all weather” as opposed to “all seasons”.

The Michelin, Continental and Goodyear are "all season" tires. The Nokians are an "all weather" tire- a weird hybrid of a high performance winter tire with decent summer performance.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Same boat as you with regard to the Apex. And yeah, my M Coupe was a handful below 40 degrees, regardless of precipitation.

The Z3 M Coupe has always been a favorite of mine. Ever take it out on the Three Sisters?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

I had the same trouble as you with the AS3+ even in light snow, yet someone in another thread tried telling me they are the best All Seasons you can buy for the snow before going to winter tires. They don't seem to understand All Season tires come in a few different categories.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The Z3 M Coupe has always been a favorite of mine. Ever take it out on the Three Sisters?
I mainly had it in Dallas and Laguna Beach, so plenty of Motorsports Ranch, Mulholland Hills, Glendora Mountain Road, Ortega Highway (nearly broke the wife on that one, chasing a 996TT) and one Laguna Seca trip. I did get down here a little, mostly just runs out 2222, Lime Creek and Devil's Backbone. Oh, and lots of terrorizing Santa Fe, where my parents live. Many runs up and down the ski hill.
Funny, I hadn't really missed that car until we moved down here. Dallas just sucks for driving roads. I'm happy with this car, but have considered an M2C to fix the rwd joneses, it's just over my arbitrary weight limit and my dog would be mad about rear windows that don't go down.

Loopy

Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I have new AS/3+ on my 2018 autobahn (stock suspension) and am pretty disappointed in them. They replaced the factory all seasons and although they have more outright grip I find they have worse “turn in” on sweeping curves than the crappy factory tires. Like the car has more understeer. I live in CA and dont need AS but sort of believed they were nearly as good as summer tires for a DD so why not, but I find them quite annoying , I always seem to need more steering angle than I should on fast curves and end up ‘sawing’ at the wheel.
But after reading https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...stickier-tires-impact-an-electric-cars-range/ they seemed to get a massive jump in grip going from AS/3+ to Pilot Sport 4S - going from .87g to 1.1g is incredible. Any comments? I’m ready to dump the AS/3.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I have new AS/3+ on my 2018 autobahn (stock suspension) and am pretty disappointed in them. They replaced the factory all seasons and although they have more outright grip I find they have worse “turn in” on sweeping curves than the crappy factory tires. Like the car has more understeer. I live in CA and dont need AS but sort of believed they were nearly as good as summer tires for a DD so why not, but I find them quite annoying , I always seem to need more steering angle than I should on fast curves and end up ‘sawing’ at the wheel.
But after reading https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...stickier-tires-impact-an-electric-cars-range/ they seemed to get a massive jump in grip going from AS/3+ to Pilot Sport 4S - going from .87g to 1.1g is incredible. Any comments? I’m ready to dump the AS/3.
I don’t know why you bought all seasons considering where you live. Get the PS4S and call it a day.