GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB3 Discover Pro retrofit

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Well... that might just save me some money, haha. I guess they never wanted us updating our own maps or software in the US and maybe now that position has spread. And with wireless App-connect maybe you can just plug a usb-c drive into that port if you want to play your own media.

The 12V plugs are probably better for charging anyway if you don't/can't use wireless charging.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Well... that might just save me some money, haha. I guess they never wanted us updating our own maps or software in the US and maybe now that position has spread. And with wireless App-connect maybe you can just plug a usb-c drive into that port if you want to play your own media.

The 12V plugs are probably better for charging anyway if you don't/can't use wireless charging.
It's a shame, but looks like a resounding dead end!

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I guess they never wanted us updating our own maps or software in the US and maybe now that position has spread.
That's probably the reason why the NAV updates for the MK7 platform has been so weird as of late. They were just working on phasing out the consumer updates using SD or DVD.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

Actually.. thought occured to me.. I believe nav updates can be done via a USB flash drive...

Would need someone to check for an update menu to be sure, but this might not be a blocker.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ugghhh... now you're potentially costing me money again, haha. It would make sense to perform software/nav updates over USB. I can see software updates OTA as file size is probably reasonable.

Nav updates could be a concern if done over 3G/4G due to size, not that you couldn't pull 8GB down. My current phone plan is only 10GB/month of full speed data (not that I use that much). If all the nav capable units also have Wi-Fi that gets around that issue. Could still be slow but certainly doable, especially if downloads can be paused/resumed until it's all downloaded and ready to be applied.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Any news on whether the MIB3 from the '21 MY can be retrofit? I've got a '19 SE w/ MIB2 and the 8" screen, would be very interested in the jump to MIB3 + 9.2" Discover Pro screen down the road if it turns out to be feasible.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
I just found this thread as I recently did get my Android Auto Wireless dongle and made a guess that my Discover Pro is a MIB 2.5 unit, and it seems to be working well. I then did a search for MIB 3 and found it is the same essentially from a user view, but has the Wireless App Connect. I was hoping my car last year would get that but in Australia we got the 2.5 and USB A ports, while I saw the NAR market was getting the last of their 7.5's with USB C, and maybe MIB 3? Does a USB C port in the console denote MIB 3?

I did get a play of a MIB 3 last week as my mother is buying a Skoda Kamiq. The 2020 model we test drove didn't have Wireless App Connect, but the 2021 model did and it was very cool. She'll also have wireless charging so she is all set.

Now with the Wireless Android unit my need for MIB 3 is pretty negated considering the cost. At the moment in Aus we update our maps (that I don't really use) via an SD card slot. I have all these slots in the car I don't really need or use, but it's nice to have options.

Phone power is an issue running wireless, but mainly on longer trips. My phone is setup to provide a hotspot for the car and the kids to use and gets hammered, so at the moment I'll be plugging it in to power on long trips, but around town, and often by myself it's fine.

I am back to looking for an elegant wireless charging solution as I bought a nice setup to attach to the drivers side vent with a new charging holder but that all went out the window when I got a P3 gauge that sits in that spot. Easy to buy what I want from Ali Express for a LHD car, but not RHD.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm in the next batch of orders for the AA Wireless dongle because of the chip delays... I can't wait. I have MIB 2.5 Discover Pro with the 9.2" screen so the only thing MIB 3 would get me is wireless AA and USB-C. I bought the USB-C port but it doesn't work as a direct plug & play replacement. I'm not sure if it will work at all, depends on whether the MIB 3 is doing the handshake or if the logic for the handshake is in the port housing.

If I get the time I have no doubt I could get a working USB-C port into the stock location, would just require some custom work. It would be heavily inspired by the folks modding Sony PSP's to install USB-C ports. Some are doing it for charge only and some are doing charge + data transfer. It's a back burner project as wireless charging would be ideal to go with wireless AA.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
I'm not too fussed on USB-C ports, as long as I have something, and from looking into MIB3 units they seem like a pain in other areas. I guess I would have thought they'd have all these abundant slots and instead they have nothing and apparently it's a real pain to get map updates and station logos.

AAW is working pretty well for me. Sometimes even faster than a cable as the car seems to power the USB port even before the car is started, so it's a pretty quick sequence, and it seems to work very well so I'm not REALLY missing out on that part of MIB 3. It may be better to stick with 2.5 and get the wireless dongle suited to your phone type.

MIB 3 seems to make things more painful, like the way the newer cars are coming with crappy interiors running through the touchscreen, sliders and protection on the software.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I'm not too fussed on USB-C ports, as long as I have something, and from looking into MIB3 units they seem like a pain in other areas. I guess I would have thought they'd have all these abundant slots and instead they have nothing and apparently it's a real pain to get map updates and station logos.

AAW is working pretty well for me. Sometimes even faster than a cable as the car seems to power the USB port even before the car is started, so it's a pretty quick sequence, and it seems to work very well so I'm not REALLY missing out on that part of MIB 3. It may be better to stick with 2.5 and get the wireless dongle suited to your phone type.

MIB 3 seems to make things more painful, like the way the newer cars are coming with crappy interiors running through the touchscreen, sliders and protection on the software.
Off topic, but are there any features gained by going from MIB2 → 2.5 aside from support for the 9.2" screen?

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Off topic, but are there any features gained by going from MIB2 → 2.5 aside from support for the 9.2" screen?
I'm not sure myself, I'm new to the world of VW, this time last year I had none, and now I have two. One has the 9.2 screen and the other has the 8. Is the 8" screen a MIB2?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Not really, assuming your MIB 2 is Discover Pro. MIB 2.5 is Discover Pro only, in addition to the 9.2" screen. Big jump from MIB I to MIB II as it's much faster, to say nothing of adding app-connect. I can't say I noticed any difference in speed going from MIB 2 to MIB 2.5 though.

My MIB 2 retrofit had navigation but was not Disco Pro. So the MIB 2.5 got me the ability to show maps in the AID and on the main display simultaneously (cool, I do it all the time, but unnecessary especially if you're using app-connect on the main display), the ability to watch DVD's (I like and use this more than I expected), the ability to copy CD's to the jukebox (better to just rip them yourself to an SD card), and not needing to have the SD card inserted for maps (good if you keep multiple SD cards full of music).

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I'm in the next batch of orders for the AA Wireless dongle because of the chip delays... I can't wait. I have MIB 2.5 Discover Pro with the 9.2" screen so the only thing MIB 3 would get me is wireless AA and USB-C. I bought the USB-C port but it doesn't work as a direct plug & play replacement. I'm not sure if it will work at all, depends on whether the MIB 3 is doing the handshake or if the logic for the handshake is in the port housing.

If I get the time I have no doubt I could get a working USB-C port into the stock location, would just require some custom work. It would be heavily inspired by the folks modding Sony PSP's to install USB-C ports. Some are doing it for charge only and some are doing charge + data transfer. It's a back burner project as wireless charging would be ideal to go with wireless AA.
It isn't that hard to wire up a USB c port. But your not gonna get USB c speed, nor charging capabilities. Only benefit you get is the reversability of USB-C ports.