GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB2 Infotainment firmware update question

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
NAR maps were never free to download AFAIK, so there's no public link for them.
Yeah I was thinking more like firmware/software update info. I got downgraded when I went up to the MST nav unit so trying to see if I can get back up to a newer version. MST2_US_VW_P0867D

acegp1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
Has anyone been able to extract the files downloaded from http://mibsolution.one/ ? If so, what's the trick?

I've downloaded both of the firmware files below but for some reason I can't unzip these with 7-zip to put them on an SD card.
MST2_US_VW_P0870D_MU0870.7z
MST2_US_VW_P0867D_MU0867.7z

"Can not open the file as [7z] archive. Unexpected end of data"

If anyone can point me to a better host for the MST2_US_VW_P0870D_MU0870.7z file it would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 075902.jpg

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Use Free Download Manager to download it. This update should be 2-3GB, not 120MB.

acegp1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
Use Free Download Manager to download it. This update should be 2-3GB, not 120MB.
Thanks! The Free Download Manager worked to get the full file to download.

I now have an issue where the car (2018 VW GTI SE USA) is not allowing me to select to update from SD Card (grayed out).

The .7z firmware was extracted to a folder 'MST2_US_VW_P0870D_MU0870' which was then transferred to a FAT32 formatted SD card. The SD card was placed in the slot in glovebox below the CD player but when going to update the software the options to select CD / USB / SD Card are all grayed out.

Did I miss a step by chance?

Screenshot 2023-02-01 182630.jpg

acegp1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
Haven't updated in a while, but I think you need the contents of that extracted folder on the root of the SD card.
You're right.
The SD Card should only have the folders/files below:
STD2Nav_NAR_VW
STD2Plus_NAR_VW
metainfo2.txt

With this folder structure I was able to succesfully update from 867 to 870 (MST2_US_VW_P0870D_0870)

Thank you all!

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
For future reference: any update or installation (firmware, maps, PPOI, Toolbox, More Incredible Bash) requires files to be placed on the SD/USB in such way, that the metainfo2.txt file is in the top directory.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
You're right.
The SD Card should only have the folders/files below:
STD2Nav_NAR_VW
STD2Plus_NAR_VW
metainfo2.txt

With this folder structure I was able to succesfully update from 867 to 870 (MST2_US_VW_P0870D_0870)

Thank you all!
Is 870 the most recent 8xx US firmware available? I'm also on 867 (Discover Media). Assuming yes, I didn't know it was as easy as just loading this into an SD card and the MIB UI for update... is there a chance of bricking with this method at all?

Last edited:

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
It's as easy as loading the FW via SD card. As long as your system is stock. not talking about custom coding/adaptations (those will be fine after the update) but some unofficial Component Protection or FEC/SWaP activations. If you enabled CarPlay outside the dealership, ,most likely those will be overwritten by the update.

There's always a risk. For example, if the SD card is not high quality or you turn the power off during update. Or the eMMC memory chip fails while writing.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Actually, if anyone is interested in FW updates, conversions, patching, etc... I strongly recommend checking the video below. This is what happened to me when trying to force 04xx firmware into a 02xx Technisat unit. It was caused by bad SWDL patch.

diarkowski

Car(s)
2017 VW Jetta GLI
Question for you form the US side.

Currently have MST2_US_VW_PQ_P0359T. Downloading from the library MST2_US_VW_PQ_P0367T. Reading a lot about failures and red screens, etc.

Two questions:

1. Do you see any reason to not go from 359 to 367? Any known issues in doing so?
2. Any idea what 367 upgrades? I'm okay not having five clocks instead of one. But, if it fixes bugs, I will do it.

Very cool forum. Glad I found you guys. Looking forward to your insight.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Based on my own observations, I only have a change log for 02xx to 04xx upgrade.
Going from 0359 to 0367 is most likely just bug fixes. So if you don't have any issues with unit and you don't have OCD, you can stay at current firmware.

• Support for facelift glass displays with APP buttons,
  • Support for VC/AID (Virtual Cockpit / Active Info Display),
  • Support for new USB HUB,
  • Updated graphics with facelift car models,
  • New skin layouts (grid) and new system-wide color theme,
  • Refreshed VW startup animations and new trim options (beatsaudio, FAMILY, Elegance),
  • Skin and startup animation for MAN vehicles,
  • 6 presets in Radio section,
  • 6 favourite contact in Phone section,
  • Media covers higher resolution support (needs to be confirmed),
  • CAR menu selection is remembered after switching ignition off,
  • Off road mode oil temperature gauge without red zone and rescaled fot 100 degrees in top position,
  • Start/stop system status popups with option to disable them,
  • Air Condition option in menu,
  • VW Media Control option in menu,
  • Configuration Wizard in Settings,
  • Traffic menu with map preview,
  • WLAN media source option,
  • 4 clock faces in standby,
  • After reboot user interface goes back to the last used screen,
  • Sound type name displays on the OSD when adjusting volume,
  • Updated SFX when touching the screen,
  • FEC/SWaP hidden menu available without active developer mode,
  • Testmode menue available from hidden menu (3 seconds press instead of 10 seconds press),
  • FEC/SWaP code 00070400 for in-car communication is supported,
  • GEM version 4.11 with touch screen navigation support,
  • Testmode menue touch screen diagnostics no longer works,
  • Left and front right speaker channels are inverted (here’s how to fix this by repining QuadLock),
  • New adaptation channels (Key_code_monitoring, Vehicle function list BAP 2nd generation, expansion, Deactivation/activation of the pop-up for active tracking services, nhtsa_properties),
  • New cpu modules (fpkimagetransfer, i2cbridge, nuanceres.arw_EU).

diarkowski

Car(s)
2017 VW Jetta GLI
Thanks for the reply. I read earlier in the thread that you can go "in the same family" from 03xx to 03yy, but not from 03xx to 06xx. I mean, I would go up to 09xx if I could to get some cool new features, but thought i could only stay witin 03.

What are your thoughts?

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
”T” at the end of the SW train indicates that you have a Technisat unit. Most recent firmware for it is 0480T.
the 02xxD, 06xxD, and 09xxD series are for Delphi units.