GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB2 High / Discover Pro toolbox!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I barely know what I'm doing, but here's my first attempt at colorizing, using GIMP (also for the first time). Took me about 25 minutes while reading through and following a tutorial. The result is exciting but I don't have time for this, haha. Is there an editor than can use machine learning to do this better, or at least automatically? There must be... right?

Anyway, original on the left. Still gotta clean up the red left over in the transparent portions of the picture. I'm also now looking for the stylus that came with my Surface Pro so I can do better with the lines. But this is 400% zoom, my sloppiness is magnified.
First Try.PNG

Now that I've had dinner my mind is working better. I suppose I could use the lasso tool in combination with layers (somehow) to select areas that I want to exclude from my "colorization layer" and avoid having to un-colorize those areas by hand later. I think I'm getting it now, haha.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Back when I was looking to buy this car I had made all the arrangements based on a Reflex Silver car. Drove to the dealer, couple hours away to pick up the car. Went out to look it over and parked right beside it was a red one, same spec. Asked if I could have that one instead and it was no problem. But now... should have got Silver, haha.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
extracted the archive in skin0 and it has almost 1,000 files o_O. I don't know where to begin. Anybody have a "cheat sheet" of sorts that says what images correspond to which screens? At some point I'll trial and error some things, and try to document what I find. Should be fun either way.

You can let the extract-mcf tool sort the images.mcf from skin0 to seperate folders if you have the imageidmap.res file in the same folder when you're extracting :) That might help!

By the way, great work!

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You can let the extract-mcf tool sort the images.mcf from skin0 to seperate folders if you have the imageidmap.res file in the same folder when you're extracting :) That might help!

By the way, great work!
That would make things easier, haha. So the imageidmap.res file needs to be in the same folder as the extract-mcf script? I'm not at my home computer now but when I put my destination folder (C:/images) in the argument for the extract script I think it created a "C:/imagesunsorted" folder, which makes sense now... duh!

I played around some more in GIMP, feels like I'm one more "duh" moment away from figuring out a less time intensive way to recolor.

I'm thinking duplicate a layer with the full image, call the duplicate "Layer 1." Use the fuzzy selection/lasso tool to remove everything I don't want colorized. I then colorize Layer 1 (which requires adding a colorization layer).
Can I then combine Layer 1 and my colorization into a single layer? And after that place my new colorized Layer 1 on top of the original layer, giving me the colorized image? Would that work?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
You'll get a nice folder structure with all filenames and such :)

You can even use this folder instead of the images.mcf on your MIB. If you remove images.mcf and imageidmap.res from your skin0 folder, and replace it with a \Images\ folder with the entire subfolder structure.. you can do whatever you like. You could even change resolutions of your graphics, add ambient lighting feature graphics and such!

Code:
+---0400000000
|   +---CarImages
|   |   +---Areaview
|   |   |       Front.png
|   |   |       Rear.png
|   |   |       
|   |   +---Car
|   |   |   +---Bordcomputer
|   |   |   |       Car.png
|   |   |   |       
|   |   |   +---Range
|   |   |   |       
|   |   |   +---Think_Blue
|   |   |   |       
|   |   |   \---Tire_Pressure
|   |   |           Car_OK.png
|   |   |           Car_Pressure_Warning.png
|   |   |           Car_Tire_Front_Left.png
|   |   |           Car_Tire_Front_Right.png
|   |   |           Car_Tire_Rear_Left.png
|   |   |           Car_Tire_Rear_Right.png
|   |   |           Car_Warning.png
|   |   |           
|   |   +---Climate
|   |   |       Car.png
|   |   |       Car_Heating.png
|   |   |       Car_Ventilation.png
|   |   |       
|   |   +---Compass
|   |   |       Car_Compass.png
|   |   |       
|   |   +---Eco_Comfort
|   |   |       Car_LHD.png
|   |   |       Car_RHD.png
|   |   |       
|   |   +---Pure_Air
|   |   |       Car.png
|   |   |       Car_RHD.png
|   |   |       Step_1.png
|   |   |       Step_2.png
|   |   |       Step_3.png
|   |   |       Step_4.png
|   |   |       Step_5.png
|   |   |       Step_6.png
|   |   |       Step_7.png
|   |   |       Step_8.png
|   |   |       Step_9.png
|   |   |       
|   |   +---Seat_Specific
|   |   |       Car_OFF.png
|   |   |       Car_Scalable.png
|   |   |       
|   |   \---Sound
|   |           Focus_Left.png
|   |           Focus_Rear.png
|   |           Focus_Right.png
|   |           Interior.png
|   |           
|   +---CarStatus
|   |       car.png
|   |       car_transp.png
|   |       feature_0.png
|   |       feature_1.png
|   |       feature_10.png
|   |       feature_11.png
|   |       feature_2.png
|   |       feature_3.png
|   |       feature_4.png
|   |       feature_5.png
|   |       feature_6.png
|   |       feature_7.png
|   |       feature_8.png
|   |       feature_9.png
|   |       
|   +---Climate
|   |       Exhaust_LHD_0.png
|   |       Exhaust_LHD_1.png
|   |       Exhaust_LHD_10.png
|   |       Exhaust_LHD_11.png
|   |       Exhaust_LHD_2.png
|   |       Exhaust_LHD_3.png
|   |       Exhaust_LHD_4.png
|   |       Exhaust_LHD_5.png
|   |       Exhaust_LHD_7.png
|   |       Exhaust_LHD_8.png
|   |       Exhaust_RHD_0.png
|   |       Exhaust_RHD_1.png
|   |       Exhaust_RHD_10.png
|   |       Exhaust_RHD_11.png
|   |       Exhaust_RHD_2.png
|   |       Exhaust_RHD_3.png
|   |       Exhaust_RHD_4.png
|   |       Exhaust_RHD_5.png
|   |       Exhaust_RHD_7.png
|   |       Exhaust_RHD_8.png
|   |       Interior_LHD_0.png
|   |       Interior_RHD_0.png
|   |       
|   +---GenericCarAdjuster
|   |   \---AmbianceLight
|   |           Feature_LHD_0.png
|   |           Feature_LHD_1.png
|   |           Feature_LHD_2.png
|   |           Feature_LHD_3.png
|   |           Feature_LHD_4.png
|   |           Feature_LHD_5.png
|   |           Feature_LHD_6.png
|   |           Feature_RHD_0.png
|   |           Feature_RHD_1.png
|   |           Feature_RHD_2.png
|   |           Feature_RHD_3.png
|   |           Feature_RHD_4.png
|   |           Feature_RHD_5.png
|   |           Feature_RHD_6.png
|   |           Interior_LHD.png
|   |           Interior_RHD.png
|   |           
|   \---OPS
|           Areaview_Front_Active_Mini.png
|           Areaview_Front_Inactive.png
|           Areaview_Front_Inactive_Mini.png
|           Areaview_Left_Active_Mini.png
|           Areaview_Left_Inactive.png
|           Areaview_Left_Inactive_Mini.png
|           Areaview_Rear_Active_Mini.png
|           Areaview_Rear_Inactive.png
|           Areaview_Rear_Inactive_Mini.png
|           Areaview_Right_Active_Mini.png
|           Areaview_Right_Inactive.png
|           Areaview_Right_Inactive_Mini.png
|           car.png
|           car_mini.png
|           car_ro.png
|           OPS_Texture_Backgrounds.png
|           OPS_Texture_Backgrounds_Areaview.png
|           OPS_Texture_Backgrounds_Areaview_Mini.png
|           OPS_Texture_Backgrounds_Mini.png
|           OPS_Texture_Backgrounds_RearOnly.png
|           OPS_Texture_Segments.png
|           OPS_Texture_Segments_Areaview.png
|           OPS_Texture_Segments_Areaview_Mini.png
|           OPS_Texture_Segments_Mini.png
|           OPS_Texture_Segments_RearOnly.png
|           Track.png
|           Track_Alpha.png
|           Track_Alpha_Areaview.png
|           trailer.png
|           trailer_mini.png
|           trailer_ro.png
|

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Very cool... so if I remove images.mcf and imageidmap.res the MIB will look at the actual folder instead? I haven't yet read through the documentation on how to get data back into the MIB yet, probably this weekend.

Will it only look at folder "0400000000" or will it use the folder corresponding to my 5F coding?
My 5F is coded 027301 and I think the folder where I am editing is named "02070-something" (not at my home computer right now)

Unrelated, kinda... I really wish VW still supported Google Earth, I want those 3D buildings from your drive2 page, haha.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Very cool... so if I remove images.mcf and imageidmap.res the MIB will look at the actual folder instead?

Exactly this :)

Will it only look at folder "0400000000" or will it use the folder corresponding to my 5F coding?

It will look at the folder that has the number of your car derivate. What can help if you're not sure is to mark an image with a text or something, upload it and see if it shows up on your car.

Unrelated, kinda... I really wish VW still supported Google Earth, I want those 3D buildings from your drive2 page, haha.
Yes me too.. driving Seat nowadays, and I especially miss the 3D terrain and trees. It felt so next-gen!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Thanks again @Chillout. I think I've got it now, and got a good (better) handle on colorizing too. I'm down to somewhere around 5 minutes per image, compared with almost an hour for my first attempt. Going to start working my way though the images here soon, and maybe try adding my actual wheels to the pictures. None of the resolutions are particularly high so that makes things easier. Now here's a question for the people of the forum...

Does anybody have a set of skin images pulled from an "early" MIB 2 High (assuming such a thing/images exist)? I only have those pulled from my MIB 2.5 so they are all facelift, Mk7.5 pictures. My Golf has dual exhaust, and that's easy enough to copy/paste out of the GTI car pictures. But I would love to have pictures of an Mk7 car to start, so the front grill matches my car too.

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
Go ahead in this topic. The MIB1-high isn't actively being developed anymore, but feel free to ask questions :)
There's isn't much development but I was wondering if I can be of any help since I'm still using MIB1 Discovery Pro
However, my car was imported from Japan so i'm not sure if it's compatible with the tools you've made

Was wondering how easy/hard to port the stuff from MIB2 HIGH toolbox to MIB1

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
There's isn't much development but I was wondering if I can be of any help since I'm still using MIB1 Discovery Pro
However, my car was imported from Japan so i'm not sure if it's compatible with the tools you've made

Was wondering how easy/hard to port the stuff from MIB2 HIGH toolbox to MIB1

Japan devices should be compatible, as long as it's all Harman.
Most of the MIB2 stuff should work on MIB1 as well, although it needs a lot of paths to be modified.