GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB1 and iPhone 11 bluetooth intermittent connection problems

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I have a '15 GTI, I just went from an iPhone 6s to an 11. With the 6s I had no issues with bluetooth audio connection, with the new phone it "skips" or momentairly drops the connection multiple times a day. And oddly, sometimes is doesn't do it, sometimes it does it as frequently as once every 1-2 minutes. I know MIB1 sucks, but the MIB2 swap seems way to intensive (mentally, lol, and financially). I know there are no updates for MIB1 since it was a single year model. BUT, does anyone have any advice on how to potentially remedy this?

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I hear you Ben...I am entering the give up phase too. I have done the delete and re-pair ~6 times and it just doesn't get better. Woe is us...lol

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I don’t know if this would make you feel better or worse lol, but I have an iPhone 6S and a 2018 GTI with MIB2 (autobahn) and I also get the random skipping while playing a song. It never outright disconnects but it’ll go silent for a couple sec in the middle of a song, randomly.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I would try deleting the phone from the car and re-pairing it.

Why not just copy your entire music library to a $15 SD card and avoid Bluetooth streaming altogether? You'll get proper album art and much more reliable operation, and lose the extra compression that Bluetooth transmission inflicts on the stream.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I don’t know if this would make you feel better or worse

That's super worse lol! I was starting to think I should just suck it up and do the MIB2 upgrade, but now I think I just live with it.

I have tried that a few times (deleted the phone from the car, and the car from the phone). No change. I listen mostly to podcasts for my commute so access to various streaming platforms is what I need. I am waaaay to lazy to download them weekly and throw them on a card!

ben tumbling

Passed Driver's Ed

Why not just copy your entire music library to a $15 SD card and avoid Bluetooth streaming altogether? You'll get proper album art and much more reliable operation, and lose the extra compression that Bluetooth transmission inflicts on the stream.
did that delete re-pair countless times
i need the bluetooth when receiving calls mostly

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD

That doesn’t work if you subscribe to a music streaming service like Spotify or Apple Music either.

I’m having the same problem with my iPhone XS and my MIB1 unit. I noticed it with my previous phone also (an iPhone 7) although it’s definitely worse with my XS but I can’t pin-point the source of it because it isn’t guaranteed it will do it from one journey to the next.

It seems to be most often when surrounded by other vehicles. On empty stretches of road, I am almost guaranteed it won’t happen.

There will be a software update available for your MIB1, it’s just whether or not you want to pay for it because the dealer will charge you for it. 🙄 Mine is running MU version 0421