GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mib doesn't know the car is running

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
So my 2016 gti mib ii doesn't register that the ignition is on. Recently had a pioneer deck in there and put the mib back this weekend. I have the front speaker wires cut and sealed at the quadlock. The rears mrears are hooked up and still have radio sound coming out. I tried holding the power button for a reboot and disconnected the negative from the battery. No luck. Car remembered the date but lost time. Can't change time unless the ignition is on. Backup cam opens but doesn't show on the screen. The cluster shows speed and such. Everything worked fine with mib front speakers to an audison bit ten.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
So my 2016 gti mib ii doesn't register that the ignition is on. Recently had a pioneer deck in there and put the mib back this weekend. I have the front speaker wires cut and sealed at the quadlock. The rears mrears are hooked up and still have radio sound coming out. I tried holding the power button for a reboot and disconnected the negative from the battery. No luck. Car remembered the date but lost time. Can't change time unless the ignition is on. Backup cam opens but doesn't show on the screen. The cluster shows speed and such. Everything worked fine with mib front speakers to an audison bit ten.

Revert to stock - does it work?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Can you be more specific about what's the problem?

What do you mean about the front speaker wires "cut and sealed"? Are they spliced back together? Or are the severed?

Why were you trying to reboot the system?

The cluster in the dash or the cluster in the infotainment shows the speed?

Are you trying to feed an amp with the MIB-II or have you gone totally stock?

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Gotcha, sorry. Front wires are cut completely and have a butt connector on each so the wires don't contact anything. I spliced my amped output back to behind the mib to feed the front doors. So the mib is no longer reaching the front speakers or any device. It was sending front output to my dsp before the pioneer went in. I went back to the mib setup because i lost too many features with the pioneer. Now i have a hi res portable player outputting via optical cable to the dsp. Rear speakers aren't seeing amplified power. I just want the mib back for car features, no audio needed.

I was trying to reboot it because the backup cam doesn't show on the screen anymore. I can hear it open. The speedo cluster stuff works and shows speed, miles to empty, etc. Also the gauges in the mib don't show any numbers, tpms doesn't work, no check engine lights though. If i try to set up bluetooth, says i can't do it with the ignition off. Same with setting the clock. But this happens with the car running. Also the mib stays on when i turn the car off, even after opening and closing the door. Only turns off when i lock it with the fob.

Maybe something is pinched behind the glove box unit.

Oh and thank you guys for reading and trying to help.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Thank you, that makes sense. I'll check it out tomorrow hopefully.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I agree, Tom. I didn't know what a quadlock was when i got the car and did the audio upgrade. It was a hasty effort and this is the result. I can't fully go back to stock without putting the oem woofers and tweeters back in. That's too much to do at this point. That's left for trade in time.

The mib didn't mind sending front speaker signal to my dsp. Curious if its freaking out that it has zero resistance to the front outputs. Might have to run the speaker outs back to the dsp if i can't find a power/ accessory power issue in the quadlock.

Thank you all.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I agree, Tom. I didn't know what a quadlock was when i got the car and did the audio upgrade. It was a hasty effort and this is the result. I can't fully go back to stock without putting the oem woofers and tweeters back in. That's too much to do at this point. That's left for trade in time.

The mib didn't mind sending front speaker signal to my dsp. Curious if its freaking out that it has zero resistance to the front outputs. Might have to run the speaker outs back to the dsp if i can't find a power/ accessory power issue in the quadlock.

Thank you all.

Could you confirm which wires you cut? Pin numbers should be visible if you look closely on the connectors

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
It was 2,3,6,7. I pulled the glove box unit and the quadlock was loose. I broke the lock thing last time i was in there. I re seated it and now everything is kosher. Thanks you guys!

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Very fortunate for me. I should have known from the start it was the quadlock. I'll have to find a replacement lock lever if it happens again. I hope you guys will help with my next inevitable blunder which is yet to be determined. Thanks again for your time and efforts!