GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB 1 (Discover pro) Problem.

GTiTES81

Ready to race!
You should be able to hold the menu button for 10 seconds to get the information of hardware and software part numbers. After holding for 10s select Service Mode, the part number of the unit will be displayed. Else, pulling the unit is fairly straight forward, but you need the right keys (a couple bucks on ebay/amazon) to unlatch so it is released and you can pull out. Likely is part number 5G0035844 if non Nav from 2015. This thread should have information on how to pull out head unit and info on if you want to go MIB2. Also, has info on a few members who rent out their VAS5054 and D-link (needed for remote programming) https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...o-mib2-infotainment-conversion-part-1.343701/ Many people have upgraded to MIB2 and likely have their old unit laying around as doorstops, so $60 and shipping should get it done, rental of equipment which is minimal, and I am guessing for a straight swap well under $100 for component protection removal and reinstalling your functional enablement codes. So significantly cheaper then the dealer wanting $1,300 for a new unit and an hour or two at VW dealer rates for replacement.

$75 shipped for my perfectly working 5G0035844 from a 2015 SE. I replaced with another MIB2 in 2017 so it is has little use. I can also rent you VAS5054 and D-link for nominal fee, $30. Deposit will be a little over replacement cost. Simaservis can do the work. PM him for his cost. Details can be found here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/fs-mib1-discover-pro-vas-5054-d-link-rental.380358/

My part# is 5G0035876. Anybody know if this is the only part that will work? I keep seeing 5G0035878A all over the web.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Last edited:

cb1111

I'd like to give a general warning when dealing with hackers to unlock features on your car.

This is not a slam against simaservis or anyone else - it is a general warning when giving somebody you don't know access to a computer.

I have an old laptop that I've wiped and the only things that are on it is Windows. . It is set up without an account and has no password - a bit of a pain to set up that way. I've imaged that install. I connect to the internet via a guest account on my wifi.

After I've given access to someone, I wipe the computer twice and re-image it from the backup.

Again, this does not say anything negative about simaservis and I'll be happy to buy them a beer if I'm in their neck of the woods (or if they're ever in my neck of the woods) but it is good computer hygiene when dealing with somebody you don't know.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I'd like to give a general warning when dealing with hackers to unlock features on your car.

Per Wiki "A hacker is a computer expert who uses their technical knowledge to achieve a goal or overcome an obstacle, within a computerized system by non-standard means. Though the term "hacker" has become associated in popular culture with a "security hacker" – someone who utilizes their technical know-how of bugs or exploits to break into computer systems and access data which would otherwise be unavailable to them".

You are incorrect calling Jack and simaservis "hackers". Jack and simaservis have a license through Volkswagen erWin Offboard Diagnosis Information System. It is the same process a VW Technician would use, with the exception as I have found them more competent as they deal with on a regular basis. There are others who are hackers, and I have provided a link discussing the difference between "hacked" and legit conversion in my DIY MIB1 to MIB2 conversion thread.

Last edited:

cb1111

Per Wiki "A hacker is a computer expert who uses their technical knowledge to achieve a goal or overcome an obstacle, within a computerized system by non-standard means. Though the term "hacker" has become associated in popular culture with a "security hacker" – someone who utilizes their technical know-how of bugs or exploits to break into computer systems and access data which would otherwise be unavailable to them".

You are incorrect calling Jack and simaservis "hackers". Jack and simaservis have a license through Volkswagen erWin Offboard Diagnosis Information System. It is the same process a VW Technician would use, with the exception as I have found them more competent as they deal with on a regular basis. There are others who are hackers, and I have provided a link discussing the difference between "hacked" and legit conversion in my DIY MIB1 to MIB2 conversion thread.
I'm sure their license doesn't authorize them to do what they are doing - which puts them into your definition of a hacker. And I was using the term hacker according to your definition. In addition, what they are doing isn't sanctioned by VW. If they are a dealer, then they may be authorized to use the software when connected up to a car in their country.

That aside, so you really want to hand your computer over to a computer expert you don't know? It really is up to you.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
Hi cb1111,

No need to worry about anything about the PC that I am working on.
The reason being because I just install USB sharing driver and share your Vas5054 interface to my PC.
All the work is done on my PC.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

Sorry, but no, this is not the same process a VW technician would use.. because it's literally not possible legitimately.

They are hackers by all definitions of the word.

There is NOT a legitimate conversion. At all.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
Maybe not possible for some people to do.But try to do SVM on car after I have done it.
It will not report an error.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Maybe not possible for some people to do.But try to do SVM on car after I have done it.
It will not report an error.
Frankly fella I couldn't give a toss - however you do your work it is in breach of VAGs licence agreement, and cannot be done officially.

That's my point. Not whether it works or not.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I'm sure their license doesn't authorize them to do what they are doing - which puts them into your definition of a hacker. And I was using the term hacker according to your definition. In addition, what they are doing isn't sanctioned by VW. If they are a dealer, then they may be authorized to use the software when connected up to a car in their country.

This is Volkswagen's erWin online website. https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do It outlines the processes and costs independents go through to hook up to their ODIS along with security professionals (locksmiths) to be able to reprogram keys.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
In Europe,VW closed access to all independent shops so he doesnt know...
Fortunately I am not in EU.

And show me the license "we" are offending.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
In Europe,VW closed access to all independent shops so he doesnt know...
Fortunately I am not in EU.

And show me the license "we" are offending.
Uhh, no they didn't.

Check your GeKo application pack for the agreement you signed.

There is no question that removal of Component Protection is perfectly legitimate. The issue lies with how hackers manipulate the system to enable SWaP/FeC codes that should never exist on a vehicle. This is (as I'm sure you know) absolutely not permitted by VAG.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
I have read no where that it is not permitted.
It is just not been offered by VW in any way,but its far from not permitted.
I have done the MIB2 High retrofit on my car as soon as I drove it out of the dealership.
Warranty was not invalidated nor I was been investigated by VW.

But lets put that aside for now.I dont know why are we even talking about it??
Is it to refrain the people from cooperating with us?
I really dont know...

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I have read no where that it is not permitted.
It is just not been offered by VW in any way,but its far from not permitted.
Read your agreement. If you've lost yours, you can obtain a copy from your importer by providing your OrgID to the relevant IW team. They can pull up your original agreement.

I have done the MIB2 High retrofit on my car as soon as I drove it out of the dealership.
Warranty was not invalidated nor I was been investigated by VW.

Wholely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

But lets put that aside for now.I dont know why are we even talking about it??
Is it to refrain the people from cooperating with us?
I really dont know...

I have no issue with you or the service you provide. I have no issue with others providing similar services either..

I'm merely backing up the point made by @cb1111 in that by the literal definition of the word you and all others in your line of work are "hackers", thereby refuting the comments made by @George Ab.

I'm a stickler for semantics ;)