GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metallic Trim around DSG Gearlever

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Good to hear they made it official. I reached out through VW customer care chat back in October and told them mine was peeling. I was out of warranty but once I told them I cut myself they scheduled the repair through my local dealer and replaced the whole shifter boot + trim.
The new part is just the trim. VW made it a separate part for the recall

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
The new part is just the trim. VW made it a separate part for the recall
interesting. Yeah, I remember even asking why they needed to replace the whole boot as well and the service guy told me it only came complete that way.

wickedfastgti

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
I don't think recall campaigns like this expire, do they? I would just wait. If yours never peels, great.
Yes, it does expire. I got the letter and it says they will replace it free of charge until January 19th, 2027. I would just get it replaced even if yours isn't peeling yet because it could start peeling in the future since this is a very common problem.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yes, it does expire. I got the letter and it says they will replace it free of charge until January 19th, 2027. I would just get it replaced even if yours isn't peeling yet because it could start peeling in the future since this is a very common problem.
Yeah but, if the campaign will only replace it once - why replace it when it doesn't need replacing - when one has 5 years to watch it?

cb1111

Yeah but, if the campaign will only replace it once - why replace it when it doesn't need replacing - when one has 5 years to watch it?
Unless you (or your passenger) don't notice that it is peeling and slice an artery open.

There have been reports of ER visits over this.

I'd get it replaced now. VW will have to replace it again if it peels.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Unless you (or your passenger) don't notice that it is peeling and slice an artery open.

There have been reports of ER visits over this.

I'd get it replaced now. VW will have to replace it again if it peels.
Really shocking it took as long as it did given we’ve seen these kinds of reports for years and years now, but we know how recalls go now don't we ;)

cb1111

Really shocking it took as long as it did given we’ve seen these kinds of reports for years and years now, but we know how recalls go now don't we ;)
If everybody had actually reported the problem to NHTSA, then it would have been fixed years ago (and VW would have been slapped). There are less that 50 reports in the NHTSA site. In general, it takes 150 or so complaints AND a petition for investigation to get lots of interest.

While I don't how it went down here (or maybe I do) but often somebody at NHTSA calls the manufacturer and says "we've had some complaints, what do you know?"

Manufacturers will do most anything to preclude a recall. In this case, they resolved it with a service action.

Billfromnj05

Car(s)
18 golf
I just brought a used 18 golf last October and the piece on mine is chipped and peeling as well. Sales guy said I have a 6 year 72,000 warranty on the car. But they should cover this no? My hood latch won’t open so I was going to bring it to the dealer so they can fix it. Should I mention the trim piece as well?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I just brought a used 18 golf last October and the piece on mine is chipped and peeling as well. Sales guy said I have a 6 year 72,000 warranty on the car. But they should cover this no? My hood latch won’t open so I was going to bring it to the dealer so they can fix it. Should I mention the trim piece as well?
There is an active TSB on the trim so even if out of warranty they'll cover the replacement.