GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metallic Trim around DSG Gearlever

Dean_F

Car(s)
GTI 2015 PP
Hello everyone.
I am new to the forum.
I have a 2015 GTi which is out of warranty. The metallic trim on the console has peeled off as you can see in the pics. VW South Africa says that the interior trim is only covered for one year, so I am unable to follow that route.
Their solution was to replace the whole gearlever unit at approx R6000 (which is nothing in US $) but way too much for just this trim. (I do believe there was potentially a class lawsuit in the US for this issue?)
Anyway, I have cut myself on more than one occasion on this. So I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue and how they have resolved it sans a solution from their dealer? I am considering pealing it all off and wrapping it with the GTi red as a solution.
Anyone done anything similar or have any novel and cool looking solutions?
Thanks in advance.

Newbie here.
20201017_181726.jpg
20201017_181715.jpg

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Google search this issue, theres lots of threads about it. Its a safety hazard, dont cut yourself

cb1111

While I'm not familiar with the regulatory process for cars in South Africa and could be the NRCS it seems like the regulators don't really care about auto safety.

I would write a letter to VW SA asking for a goodwill repair and see where that gets you

PN_Mk7R_SFbay

Car(s)
2016 Mk7 Golf R
I agree with cb1111. Had the same problem on my Golf R and VW North America covered it under good will gesture. I told them I cut my hand while wiping the area. Good Luck!

PN_Mk7R_SFbay

Car(s)
2016 Mk7 Golf R
VW North America covered a new manual gear shift boot, and trim ring plus installation at a local dealer. This part comes together and is pretty expensive. If I paid it would have cost me close to $450.00 USD. Even just buying the part would have been $200.00 plus shipping with me taking the time to install.

Mark_evich

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI Mk7
For anyone interested in this, VW has an active recall going for these things! I'm well out of warranty, but got an appt based on this recall to replace it.

Here's from vw.com:

Other Service Campaign

Repair Needed
Gear Shift Cover Trim
VW Action Code
34J7
Service campaigns shown may be available for a limited time only. Please contact your authorized VW dealer for additional information.

Start date
01-19-2022

Description
The chrome trim frame on the gear shift cover may begin to show signs of peeling.

Remedy
Replace the gear shift cover chrome trim frame.
https://www.vw.com/app/dccsearch/vw-us/en

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
@Supermoto

yeah, I've seen these, but why wait + pay (even if it's funny money) when I can come and get it replaced for free at the stealership within one day?
My ex had hers replaced and the new one peeled. I ordered the ali express one and its not a foil wrapped plastic, its just made in the right color.

zoomnad

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI s
I sanded mine and then painted it black. No more cuts.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
This is now an open recall. We have 70 in stock at my dealer for warranty replacement. Call your service advisor and go get it replaced for free

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
This is now an open recall. We have 70 in stock at my dealer for warranty replacement. Call your service advisor and go get it replaced for free

Good to hear they made it official. I reached out through VW customer care chat back in October and told them mine was peeling. I was out of warranty but once I told them I cut myself they scheduled the repair through my local dealer and replaced the whole shifter boot + trim.