GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Messed up my rear bumper

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
Well, as it turns out, just having a backup camera doesn't keep you from having fender benders (or bumper bumps in my case).

I was backing out of a parking spot, and had just checked the backup camera as well as my mirrors. There wasn't anyone coming. I looked to the left and right, as people tend to try to nail you from the side when backing out of a spot. As I was backing out, I looked back at the camera just as I saw the other guy back into me from the other side of the lot. We kissed bumpers at about 1-2 mph, just enough to cause some damage. I reviewed my dash cam footage and found that his backup lights came on right as I started to back out when I was checking the sides. Figures.

Insurance is going to pay for it, but it still sucks. My perfect little Golf TDI is no longer perfect. Ahh, well.

This happened just 2 weeks after my father passed away. I'm having a great year so far.

I was already careful as hell when in parking lots. Now I'm just plain anal about it.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I got rear-ended by a flatbed tow truck while sitting at a red light. Was sitting there for about 30 seconds before she hit me too. Barely hit me hard enough to feel, I just thought my brakes gave out or something and i rolled forward a couple inches. A big bolt-head on her front bumper took a gouge out of the bu,per cover but other than that no damage. I know the feeling, small damage but still enough to be pissed. The company paid for my repairs next day, but still. the bumper doesnt look like a stock GTI bumper anymore but nobody would notice other than guys like us

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
That sucks. It is good practice to always back into a space if you have the chance.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My GTI got hit while it still had the paper plates on it.

Still remember that dude's name: Clifford Montez.

The kind of driver who guns it behind you when you inch forward to see better at a highway intersection 😐

Sorry about your dad man. Everything else just seems like the universe piling on afterwards. It's understandable to be extra disappointed in the outcome in the parking lot, given the circumstances.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Sorry to hear about that and sorry for your loss.

I’m the dork that parks 8 miles away from the entrance if I can help it. Drives my wife crazy.

lol same here. Then when she does it in her 2009 beat up Honda Accord when I'm in that with her and I bitch about, lol. She's like, "Remember the last time I was in your car? WE'RE WALKING".