GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mechanical difference between 2015 TDI 2.0 and GTD

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
As the title states curious to know since GTD has its own sub-forum. I know what the numbers are just want to what is mechanically different as in parts between TDI 2.0 and GTD aside from NA spec emissions parts and the fact that they are not in the US yet

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
The GTD has bigger brakes on the front. I doubt there is much difference in the engine and drive train construction. My guess is the 150 and 184ps are just tuned differently. It wouldn't be the first time VW did this. The mk5 GT sport TDi was available with 140 and 170ps

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
I read somewhere its a bigger turbo and fuel injectors and then some suspension upgrades looking to see if i could find someone who has some info to confirm or deny. Because a tdi with new springs and a tune would get you or close.

Mk620T

Ready to race!
I believe the 150hp engine is completely different than the GTD engine.

Check out this study - http://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2014/05/1...ily/ssp-840233-ea288-diesel-engine-family.pdf

The ea288 is pretty weird. The valve arrangement has each camshaft opening both intake and exhaust valves instead of just an intake cam and an exhaust cam. Its pretty strange - must be efficient otherwise VW is just being difficult.

Normal engine
II II II II
EE EE EE EE

Ea288
IE IE IE IE
IE IE IE IE

The ea288 uses an air to water intercooler vs the normal air to air intercooler. There are also three different cooling circuits to help the engine reach temperature more quickly.

It's also a really modular engine. The camshafts are sealed into a "girdle" that bolts onto the head followed by the calve cover. The camshafts are geared together - no more chain. The timing belt is a "lifetime" belt and is sealed and bathed in engine oil. This allows the engine to be assembled quicker (I guess) and should help in the interchangeability of things like injectors.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Such a great amount of information on that link. The exact reason for creating this thread! Thanks!

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Thanks waggers ive read alot of you input on here. Can you confirm or deny the a difference in turbo? You all in the UK sure have an awesome selection of cars to pick from. Its because of a trip i did over there for work that has me in my golf today

James75

Go Kart Champion
I read somewhere its a bigger turbo and fuel injectors and then some suspension upgrades looking to see if i could find someone who has some info to confirm or deny. Because a tdi with new springs and a tune would get you or close.

I think the GTD is a very different beast - it's not just about a tune and suspension. I am not saying the GTD is 'special' but engineering tends to be more than power.

James

pipsyp

Ready to race!
The GTD other than the motor and some v subtle suspension tuning differences (believe mainly on the front to accomodate the heavier diesel motor) is pure GTI. The press says its a little softer than the GTI but i put this down to it probably being a little more nose heavy and so more prone to understeer. Its bloody firm enough so if the GTI is any firmer I am not sure id like it v much.....GTD is acceptable but I wouldnt want it any firmer.

The 184 TDI I believe has bigger injectors...not sure on the turbo this time around. I did read somewhere it has variable valve timing too....bit odd for a diesel but might also account for its slightly more free revving nature vs the regular 2.0 TDI.

fastlane1

Passed Driver's Ed
two completely different cars.