GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MDI Cables for MK7 GTI??!!

Ahmoodys

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Guys,

I've been searching all over the internet for an MDI cable which is a direct connection to the ipod/iphone 5th gen, I want one that'll display artwork and playback video, but all forums have no definite answer with lots of part numbers.

I called Ali & Sons Abu Dhabi, and they told me the have 2 cables with P/N 4F0051510AD and 4F0051510AC. keeping in mind that they told me that those are for Audi (I dont know if they're comaptible with VW or not) they cost 325 AED. So if anyone has a defenitive answer regarding which cable to buy for iphone/ipod 5th gen that'll playback video and artwork please share and help out.

Thanks

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

I've been searching all over the internet for an MDI cable which is a direct connection to the ipod/iphone 5th gen, I want one that'll display artwork and playback video, but all forums have no definite answer with lots of part numbers.

I called Ali & Sons Abu Dhabi, and they told me the have 2 cables with P/N 4F0051510AD and 4F0051510AC. keeping in mind that they told me that those are for Audi (I dont know if they're comaptible with VW or not) they cost 325 AED. So if anyone has a defenitive answer regarding which cable to buy for iphone/ipod 5th gen that'll playback video and artwork please share and help out.

Thanks

Hey man, I have the red collar 30pin connector for the previous gen iphone (4) and previous gen ipod. As far as i know this is the only one that displays artwork and plays videos.

The regular blue collared cable works fine in my Audi Q5, and i have swapped wires between the Audi and my GTI before if that helps!

I'm not sure of any part number to be honest but people on this forum have said that their album artwork displays with the new green collar iphone 5s lightning connector (MDI - Lightning) vs (MDI - 30pin).

So to confirm there are 3 cables
1. Blue collar 30 pin (basic)
2. Red collar 30 pin (video and artwork)
3. Green collar lightning

As mickR mentioned, people on various posts/forums have mentioned converting pictures/resizing them and adding them to itunes etc. I didn't do anything with my red collar cable, whatever music has artwork, it just shows up without any problems. This is probably because all my music has the album art already embedded into the files. Its a common problem for files that have no album artwork embedded in the file to not show up.
I just don't want to bother with the whole hassle of using apps to add album artwork on tracks that don't have them :p

Here's a few links to other threads:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115
http://golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198

Thats all the info I have buddy :)

Last edited:

Ahmoodys

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey man, I have the red collar 30pin connector for the previous gen iphone (4) and previous gen ipod. As far as i know this is the only one that displays artwork and plays videos.

The regular blue collared cable works fine in my Audi Q5, and i have swapped wires between the Audi and my GTI before if that helps!

I'm not sure of any part number to be honest but people on this forum have said that their album artwork displays with the new green collar iphone 5s lightning connector (MDI - Lightning) vs (MDI - 30pin).

So to confirm there are 3 cables
1. Blue collar 30 pin (basic)
2. Red collar 30 pin (video and artwork)
3. Green collar lightning

As mickR mentioned, people on various posts/forums have mentioned converting pictures/resizing them and adding them to itunes etc. I didn't do anything with my red collar cable, whatever music has artwork, it just shows up without any problems. This is probably because all my music has the album art already embedded into the files. Its a common problem for files that have no album artwork embedded in the file to not show up.
I just don't want to bother with the whole hassle of using apps to add album artwork on tracks that don't have them :p

Here's a few links to other threads:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115
http://golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198

Thats all the info I have buddy :)

Thanks for the reply, but if you by any chance tried your red collar cable with a 30 to 8 pin adapter and confirmed artwork and video functionality just let me know, another thing, sorry for asking much, if you take a look at the cable and tell me the exact part number (a picture would be great) i'll be much appreciated.

Thanks