GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MazdaSpeed 3

NYUSMC

Go Kart Champion
I had a regular Mazda 3 pull up next to me at a light. It was red and said turbo on it in white bubble letters. Pulls up to me at a light with my gf in the car and revs his engine. I beat him to the next light with out a problem. Then i got on the highway and he could not keep up. i was confused about the turbo letters on the car but didnt seem like he wanted to talk.

NorthernDubber

Ready to race!
Holy shit, it's like an epidemic here. Again, good job on making huge leaps of judgement without having any clue as to what actually happened.

read the whole post. I didn't single you out. I actually went out of my way to say specifically that my statement was a blanket statement, I just happened to quote your post.

sooooo reading good, not reading baaaaad.

Japan8

Passed Driver's Ed
I had an awesome experience test driving the Mazdaspeed 3. It is quick, sporty and has a sharp interior/exteror. The price is very attractive as well. However, I wasn't very impressed with the craftsmanship. Panels sound hollow, the plastic in the car sounds cheap when you flick it. I didn't like the cheap looking door sill insert that says MazdaSpeed 3. It reminded me of a beer can turned inside out. Lot's of rattles when driving it. I know for a fact that Mazda had suffered in quality and craftsmanship since Ford bought them. But everyone has their own opinion. The GTI feels solid comapred to the MS3. The doors are heavier, the car feels tighter, the dashboard and all plastic trim don't sound hollow when flicked. The GTI is built in Germany, the quality is there. The GTI is not as fast as the MS3 but I would rather give up a few ponies knowing that there are performance upgrades out there that would make it comparable than to get a car that is pretty much hooked up and not have the quality I am looking for.

Dude. Ford has owned a stake in mazda since the late 70's, joint manufactured and shared models since the 80's and it was only finally in the mid-90's that Ford bought controlling interest.

You can tell Mazda's quality suffered since Ford bought them...:slice:

Japan8

Passed Driver's Ed
Holy shit, it's like an epidemic here. Again, good job on making huge leaps of judgement without having any clue as to what actually happened.

I was driving to school on the freeway after we had an ice storm. I was going 40mph on a 65mph road (which pretty much everyone else was doing) on the left lane, and as the road curved I hit an ice patch that was crossing the emergency lane onto the road. My front left tire lost traction but my rear ones still had it so it sent me smashing into the left-hand curb. The vehicle slid across the whole thing did a violent turn to the right as it was deflected, and stopped completely in the middle lane sideways. Then a humongous Volvo semi came and t-boned the car, which caused it to spin, knock me unconcious, and broke my colar bone prolly due to the fact that there was no side airbag and I hit the side windshield and hard plastic panel upon impact.

So far on these forums I haven't made claims that I personally can't back up. That just isn't my style. It's too bad so many people here have a hard time giving people credit just because they are newer.

PS: The GTI is still much better than the Masdaspeed 3 minus the horsepower.

Uh captain no clue...

1. The MSP was the last year of that platform. It originally came out around 1998 or 1999. It is also the sub-compact economy car of the line up. How many sub-compact economy cars had side airbags in 2003? Right.

2. You hit ice in a FWD car at speed (not like at 15mph or so). Did you at least have snow tires? Let's put our thinking caps on for a minute... even if your rear tires have grip, they are entirely NOT connected to the powertrain. A lot of good that does you. LSD and TCS/DSC? They aren't going to help you much here. The only thing that would is AWD and snow tires. In other words... you were just SOL.

3. The almighty GTI which God himself has made and blessed... happens to be FWD too. Just like the MSP. You would have still had an accident.

4. You're complaining about what AFTERMARKET MODS do/sound like on your car? The manufacturer is supposed to care and/or account for this?:rolleyes:

camoe

Dude. Ford has owned a stake in mazda since the late 70's, joint manufactured and shared models since the 80's and it was only finally in the mid-90's that Ford bought controlling interest.

You can tell Mazda's quality suffered since Ford bought them...:slice:

One thing that many do not realize is that MazdaSpeeds are different than Mazdas. Different production facililty, different design and engineering team, different parts bin (my MazdaSpeed MX-5 has only Mazda parts, although Ford may take from Mazda's bin), different target audience, etc.

So, In essence, saying a Mazda is a Ford is simplisticly ignorant. Sure some parts are shared by not only Mazda and Ford but Hyundai as well. Different engineers from different plants use common parts, this does not make them the same car and/or company.

Also, I find it ironic that so many dubbers blast Mazda for reliability....please. If that isn't hypocritical, I don't know what is.

Cheers

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
You're also forgetting one important thing the Mazdaspeed has that the Dub doesn't (and needs)... LSD. Seriously it is a great car esp for the price, sure it isn't up to the quality of the VW...but it also costs $10-15k less (in Aust). I switched from a Mazda 3 SP23 into my GTI and Mazdaspeed 3 (MPS3 in Aust) was a very real consideration... sure my mod'd GTI will prolly beat one... but then when they get mod'd we'll be left behind. The MPS definitely gets it power down better than the GTI... if they made a MPS with a DSG gearbox i may just have been swayed but the thing that put me off was the interior was the same as the car i'd already owned for three years. Bang for you buck though it's hard to go past.

Draw007

pdx_rox
I'm not entirely sure what the issue with Ford's SVT Focus? I have one, in addition to my GTI, and in some respects it's more in tune with the road than my dub. Do I prefer it to my GTI? Negative. The dub is way more polished.

My point? If you haven't experienced it, it's all assumption.

BTW, the SVT is NOT an upgraded ZX3. They (Ford) built the SVT when they had money to spend in the guts of a vehicle... at the time.:cool:

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
OK work on 4 door versions for a start, apples with apples... sport pack MPS can be had for $42k driveaway... a GTI with leather, DSG, metallic paint xenons to compare is already around $53k. Then factor in if you want to go to APR etc to keep up with those MPS guys and add another $4500 on to the purchase price. Thus why the GTI got caned in BFYB vs the MPS3 (disregarding mods).

gotboost

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
in my opinion it looks too much like a wagon.