GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mazda Swap

Omax Vaar

Car(s)
2017 Mk7 GTI
Hey guys I'd go to a mazda forum, but they are honestly not fun to deal with. My friend owns a speed3 and a regular 3, both are gen 1. He bent a rod in his speed3 and 3 months ago he was t-boned by a car running a stop sign. Simple question really. How possible is it to put the NA engine from the regular 3 into his speed3? As far as I know youd need to change fuel pumps and oil pumps/lines probably. It is not our first swap, but we have only gone from NA to boosted not the other way around. If anyone could shed light on this it would be greatfully appreciated. Also, its not to be kept we are going to rebuild his speed3 engine from the bottom up for big turbo so in the meantime he just wants to drive it.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
But why on a GTI forum?!?

Just buy a GTI.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Why bother with swapping the engine over? He should just use the NA Mazda3 and build the Speed3 motor in his spare time.

The other option is to sell both and get a GTI. It's a much better car all around. I had an '07 Speed3 from new and my girlfriend had an '08 3 sedan. My Speed3 was custom tuned with a COBB AP. When I traded in my Mazda for my current '10 GTI, I was blown away at how much better it was in every way, except for power. At 600 miles, I had an APR Stage 1 flashed onto it and never thought about missing performance again.

Ten years later, my GTI still looks and performs fantastic. Wonder why you hardly ever see Speed3's on the road, regardless of year? The VW is the wiser choice.

BTW, you came to a VW forum with a Mazda question. 😁

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
1600804276531.png

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
Just buy a GTI.

This.

Take the insurance money from the totalled car and buy a GTI, sell the Speed3 as a carcass to someone who wants a project and use that money to K04 the GTI with an LSD and never look back. :cool:;):)

Or take all the money and get into a Golf R like the cool kids...... :ROFLMAO:

That's the best answer to your Mazda question. (y)

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I had a speed3 a few cars ago. I enjoyed the heck out of the thing.
However, when it did inevitably go zoom zoom boom, it was most definitely time to get a different vehicle. Those cars are not known for their reliability.

If it was my money, I wouldn't spend it on replacing the MZR in the speed3. There are plenty of good cars out there. Be a good friend and give him some advice against fixing it.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Nothing like sitting at a red light or drive thru in a smoking Speed3. Been there, done that. Fucking things should come with a free toaster.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
^ Right!!

I considered a Speed 3 along with a FiST/FoST and WRX.

I think I made the right choice.

Omax Vaar

Car(s)
2017 Mk7 GTI
Why bother with swapping the engine over? He should just use the NA Mazda3 and build the Speed3 motor in his spare time.

The other option is to sell both and get a GTI. It's a much better car all around. I had an '07 Speed3 from new and my girlfriend had an '08 3 sedan. My Speed3 was custom tuned with a COBB AP. When I traded in my Mazda for my current '10 GTI, I was blown away at how much better it was in every way, except for power. At 600 miles, I had an APR Stage 1 flashed onto it and never thought about missing performance again.

Ten years later, my GTI still looks and performs fantastic. Wonder why you hardly ever see Speed3's on the road, regardless of year? The VW is the wiser choice.

BTW, you came to a VW forum with a Mazda question. 😁
I feel like you did not read the post and that is okay. The NA car is totalled. I have a GTI this is my friends cars. Im GTI till i die. I came here because this si the forum i use and mazda forums are a bunch of dicks.