GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

May have found the replacement for starting vibration reduction on the MK7.5

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
Your sig has Dragy times posted. I don‘t own one, but if you do why not make the change in your coding and measure your times as you suggested? For me the drivability around town improved vastly on the bottom end of the powerband. I’m good with it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Your sig has Dragy times posted. I don‘t own one, but if you do why not make the change in your coding and measure your times as you suggested? For me the drivability around town improved vastly on the bottom end of the powerband. I’m good with it.
I have. My best times are with them all set to the stock settings...hahaha. I have a DSG 4Mo wagon.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I want to see someone who is feeling they are getting benefits from these changes - as I said above, I've done this six ways from Sunday and my times were best (or at least the same) no matter what I changed.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I want to see someone who is feeling they are getting benefits from these changes - as I said above, I've done this six ways from Sunday and my times were best (or at least the same) no matter what I changed.
We've chatted about these settings in the other thread, and I do believe certain ones offer some benefits. The starting vibration reduction one is one that only feels like it's doing something below 5mph. On road courses I rarely go down to 2nd, but when I do I feel the car has too much torque with it off and there was no point in being in 2nd anyway. I also feel that when the hill start settings are changed the svr is forced to interact more in specific conditions. With the hill start settings on normal i have zero issues off the line and on any hill I can get to 1300-1500rpm in sport going from brake to throttle which helps tremendously with a quick takeoff.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
We've chatted about these settings in the other thread, and I do believe certain ones offer some benefits. The starting vibration reduction one is one that only feels like it's doing something below 5mph. On road courses I rarely go down to 2nd, but when I do I feel the car has too much torque with it off and there was no point in being in 2nd anyway. I also feel that when the hill start settings are changed the svr is forced to interact more in specific conditions. With the hill start settings on normal i have zero issues off the line and on any hill I can get to 1300-1500rpm in sport going from brake to throttle which helps tremendously with a quick takeoff.
My primary interest is the topic of this post - that RRO is the new SVR. Just curious if anyone can post up some actual times to show that it helps.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
My primary interest is the topic of this post - that RRO is the new SVR. Just curious if anyone can post up some actual times to show that it helps.
I get it. I'd also be curious about manual vs dsg and with stickier tires. Your results are interesting, and make sense. SVR had zero impact for me on track times one way or the other.

Tjbell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE DSG
I have a 2021 gti and rro does not turn off with obdeleven

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
What's the verdict on disabling RRO? Anyone find any downside yet? I did my first obd11 mods on my 2018 MK7 5 GTI SE. So far I've made the following changes:

VAQ set to increased traction
Straight ahead brake stabilization disabled
Hydraulic brake assistance disabled
Soundactor to off
Esc on/esc sport/esc off

I went through an app to change the esc settings since I got frustrated trying to research what hex value to enter. After driving, it seems the app switched the byte 29 hex value from 89 to 88 which lines up with what I've read. The esc light does now illuminate along with a beep after holding the button.

Also really like the more predictable and linear brake feel from these changes. Still definitely getting some tc intrusion in 1st and second, but it's sort of liveable at least on the street right now.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What's the verdict on disabling RRO? Anyone find any downside yet? I did my first obd11 mods on my 2018 MK7 5 GTI SE. So far I've made the following changes:

VAQ set to increased traction
Straight ahead brake stabilization disabled
Hydraulic brake assistance disabled
Soundactor to off
Esc on/esc sport/esc off

I went through an app to change the esc settings since I got frustrated trying to research what hex value to enter. After driving, it seems the app switched the byte 29 hex value from 89 to 88 which lines up with what I've read. The esc light does now illuminate along with a beep after holding the button.

Also really like the more predictable and linear brake feel from these changes. Still definitely getting some tc intrusion in 1st and second, but it's sort of liveable at least on the street right now.
A pitch mount and 255 width RE71R's magically solves the traction issues. It's a murical. Lol.

Seriously, no matter what I did, couldn't get ESC and TC to stop kicking in. I've made all the changes you have and it's still an issue unless I have my RE71R's on the car with my Neuspeed pitch mount insert thing, even then, on track, I forgot to disable ESC at FIRM and it was still intervening. Once off, can't feel it on track anymore.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I went through the gamut of disabling things, including hydraulic brake assistant, turning down brake booster, starting vibration reduction, and on and on for all the standard stuff everyone does. After 3.5 years of track work, I turned back on almost everything except for straight ahead brake stabilization and vaq to increased traction.

Hydraulic Brake assistant in particular adds pressure when you're stopped and as you shift down. Starting vibration reduction smoothes the harshness on takeoff (extremely apparent with a new dogbone bushing).

When I do track this car now (I have a replacement toy and this is again my daily), I turn down the brake booster to 1, but that's only because I swap to track pads that are not at all compressible. I used to boil every kind of fluid I tried, Castrol srf, rbf660, among others. With my current settings and running rbf600 I can go a full weekend without boiling fluid. Ymmv

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I went through the gamut of disabling things, including hydraulic brake assistant, turning down brake booster, starting vibration reduction, and on and on for all the standard stuff everyone does. After 3.5 years of track work, I turned back on almost everything except for straight ahead brake stabilization and vaq to increased traction.

Hydraulic Brake assistant in particular adds pressure when you're stopped and as you shift down. Starting vibration reduction smoothes the harshness on takeoff (extremely apparent with a new dogbone bushing).

When I do track this car now (I have a replacement toy and this is again my daily), I turn down the brake booster to 1, but that's only because I swap to track pads that are not at all compressible. I used to boil every kind of fluid I tried, Castrol srf, rbf660, among others. With my current settings and running rbf600 I can go a full weekend without boiling fluid. Ymmv
Can you walk me through what settings you use on track now?

Are you saying all stock except increased traction, straight ahead brake stabilization and you run brake booster at 1?

So xds and all other abs and ESC are stock? You track in dynamic?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Can you walk me through what settings you use on track now?

Are you saying all stock except increased traction, straight ahead brake stabilization and you run brake booster at 1?

So xds and all other abs and ESC are stock? You track in dynamic?
Esc is set to off, and it never really triggers anymore... Only when I do something really sketchy/fun and try to keep up with a miata on turn in.

That being said, when Esc was in sport i just had to learn to slow down on turn in slightly and I never really triggered. Most of the time when people complain about "understeer" and "traction kicking in" it's really because of poor braking techniques and cooking corner entry (assuming they did an alignment before hitting the track...). The benefit from full off I've found to be when trying to take 90mph+ corners. That 9hp miata can really chuck into fast corners at 90+, and I was stuck at 75mph ish. Any faster on entry and it would toss me left and right as it tried to brake with the rears more (yes, even with straight ahead stabilization disabled) . Moving to full off allowed me to actually slide the rear end at about 90mph on same entry without bucking me around.

I do also have xds set to weak. It helps brake temps going from normal to weak. From weak to off my lap times dropped and the front end started feeling a lot more vague on sweepers. S turns and decreasing radius turns found massive benefit from going back to weak, and I think this has to do with the vaq interaction, but it's very hard to tell. Weak reduces rear brake temps enough to where a matched set of front and rear pads isn't as necessary, so you can run a lighter rear compound. My favorite so far has been gloc r16 front and r8 rear.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Esc is set to off, and it never really triggers anymore... Only when I do something really sketchy/fun and try to keep up with a miata on turn in.

That being said, when Esc was in sport i just had to learn to slow down on turn in slightly and I never really triggered. Most of the time when people complain about "understeer" and "traction kicking in" it's really because of poor braking techniques and cooking corner entry (assuming they did an alignment before hitting the track...). The benefit from full off I've found to be when trying to take 90mph+ corners. That 9hp miata can really chuck into fast corners at 90+, and I was stuck at 75mph ish. Any faster on entry and it would toss me left and right as it tried to brake with the rears more (yes, even with straight ahead stabilization disabled) . Moving to full off allowed me to actually slide the rear end at about 90mph on same entry without bucking me around.

I do also have xds set to weak. It helps brake temps going from normal to weak. From weak to off my lap times dropped and the front end started feeling a lot more vague on sweepers. S turns and decreasing radius turns found massive benefit from going back to weak, and I think this has to do with the vaq interaction, but it's very hard to tell. Weak reduces rear brake temps enough to where a matched set of front and rear pads isn't as necessary, so you can run a lighter rear compound. My favorite so far has been gloc r16 front and r8 rear.
I mostly do autocross, with 2 or 3 track days a year. In autocross, ESC is far more of a hindrance. Yesterday I forgot to turn it off for one of my runs and I thought something was wrong with the car. Kept losing power on tight corner exits and was a second slower.

On track, I run in dynamic and rarely feel it kick in, but that's at Daytona and Sebring, so YMMV.

I'm pretty much where you are now with settings and not have issues with brake or front tire heat anymore.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I mostly do autocross, with 2 or 3 track days a year. In autocross, ESC is far more of a hindrance. Yesterday I forgot to turn it off for one of my runs and I thought something was wrong with the car. Kept losing power on tight corner exits and was a second slower.

On track, I run in dynamic and rarely feel it kick in, but that's at Daytona and Sebring, so YMMV.

I'm pretty much where you are now with settings and not have issues with brake or front tire heat anymore.
Yeah in autocross I can see Esc being an issue.

Biggest difference was honestly getting away from Castrol srf. Everyone swears by it, but it's either not very compatible with the gti system or it just absorbs water too fast. I've used it successfully in other cars, but so far rbf600 is the ONLY fluid I've been able to run all weekend without having to do bleeds between sessions or days. Usually I only end up with one or two bubbles after the entire weekend. It's also nice to be able to just run one bottle throughout the year. With srf I was burning through one 55$ bottle per event...

Reactions: q74

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Wider wheels are tires are certainly on my short list of next mods. Regarding the hydraulic brake assist, I wonder if the "adding pressure when stopped" mentioned above is the weirdness I felt after the changes I made. It seems like after stepping on the brake when stopped, the pedal will slowly continue to depress after the initial hard pedal feel. Also at one point it felt like I wasn't getting consistent power assistance when stopped on a hill resting on the brake.

Certainly happy with the other changes made, but this is one I'm questioning. Also leaving xds at normal for now, but I'll see how it feels on track this coming weekend.