GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

May have found the replacement for starting vibration reduction on the MK7.5

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
That's the "premature engine failure" setting. You are in for a ROUGH ROAD ahead.

partout

What do you mean by this?

I've encountered similar features in other vehicles, and they generally either tamed the ABS or just stopped snooping so heavily for knocks, pings, misfires, and things of that nature.

The objective of this setting is generally to tell the vehicle that it's on a rough road (owners in developing nations, for example), and to stop worrying about every little bump you hit or low-traction scenario; because the vehicle is misinterpreting the conditions of the terrain for the condition of the engine. In that event, if the engine isn't misbehaving, there's nothing to worry about. I'm not sure if that's accurate on this particular vehicle, though.

My hope is that the starting vibration reduction feature is actually tied to this system now, and that it will eliminate or minimize the vehicle's tendency to nerf power in lower gears.

As noted, I don't know the first thing about what this setting does on a Golf MK 7.5, or any VW, for that matter; but as usual, I want to know everything I possibly can.

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
What do you mean by this?

I've encountered similar features in other vehicles, and they generally either tamed the ABS or just stopped snooping so heavily for knocks, pings, misfires, and things of that nature.

The objective of this setting is generally to tell the vehicle that it's on a rough road (owners in developing nations, for example), and to stop worrying about every little bump you hit or low-traction scenario; because the vehicle is misinterpreting the conditions of the terrain for the condition of the engine. In that event, if the engine isn't misbehaving, there's nothing to worry about. I'm not sure if that's accurate on this particular vehicle, though.

My hope is that the starting vibration reduction feature is actually tied to this system now, and that it will eliminate or minimize the vehicle's tendency to nerf power in lower gears.

As noted, I don't know the first thing about what this setting does on a Golf MK 7.5, or any VW, for that matter; but as usual, I want to know everything I possibly can.
He's joking, don't take it seriously

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Folks need to get actual data on these changes vs. feel - what can you log to see what that changes, if anything,for this?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Folks need to get actual data on these changes vs. feel - what can you log to see what that changes, if anything,for this?
Not sure if anything can be logged, but it's easy to test. Do a launch before the tweak and after the tweak on the same stretch of road. Make sure ESC is set to Off during the test. Before the tweak, power will be cut in 1st and 2nd when the wheels begin to spin once traction is lost. After the tweak, you should be able to spin the wheels freely through all of 1st and most of 2nd with no power cuts.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion

That's why I've been keeping my long-winded thread going. I like to know how things actually work, and I think underneath just enjoying the cars, quite a few other people do, as well.

If enough of this is put together and combined with the information we already have; even if incomplete, a much better picture of how these systems operate will emerge.

As owners become more curious, the limitations and potential drawbacks of the adjustments may become known; or at least suspected based on observation.

It ain't perfect, but upgrading one's understanding of a vehicle is a much more significant performance boost than upgrading the vehicle itself.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if anything can be logged, but it's easy to test. Do a launch before the tweak and after the tweak on the same stretch of road. Make sure ESC is set to Off during the test. Before the tweak, power will be cut in 1st and 2nd when the wheels begin to spin once traction is lost. After the tweak, you should be able to spin the wheels freely through all of 1st and most of 2nd with no power cuts.

I'm very tempted to try this out, but it just started sleeting here, and nobody knows how to drive in such conditions in my area. :(

Looking forward to being able to do it, though. Has it done anything for the annoying power loss in general in first and second, or has it seemed to simply eliminate fuel being cut off?

Either way it's an improvement. If the car can be steered with the throttle, it becomes a hell of a lot more safe at the limit; and that's where safety matters on the road. That split second with something goes wrong, and you have to actually drive... That's when it all matters. That's why performance cars are built to begin with; not just to drive around tracks and speed up mountain switch-backs or blast down a highway. That's just playing around.

When that bro-dozer blows a front tire three car-lengths up, and when there's a minivan full of kids beside you... When you have to break traction to prevent an accident...

A computer that suddenly robs you of power in that scenario and therefore robs you of control is worse than a texting teenager driving a Hummer through an amusement park.

Power IS control. That is a law in this universe, and it applies to cars, as well. You steer with the throttle as much as the wheel.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Just wait for traffic to clear up a bit. The roads being slick will actually make testing easier since you'll be able to break traction more easily. You may get some wheel hop on the slick roads though, so watch out for that. If the drivetrain starts to shudder or violently shake, back off the throttle immediately. You don't want to break anything. You shouldn't get much wheel hop, if any, at stock power levels but it can still happen on slick roads. And yes, the power loss in 1st and 2nd is completely gone on my car. Even when not launching or already moving I've got full power available with no cuts.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I don't understand why you need a replacement for "reduce starting vibration" though. I already have it disabled on my 2018 GTI. So now you're saying I have to disable rough roads too?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I don't understand why you need a replacement for "reduce starting vibration" though. I already have it disabled on my 2018 GTI. So now you're saying I have to disable rough roads too?
Sounds like your car has the old module which has the SVR option. Appears that there's a newer module in the 19's and possibly the later build date 18's where the SVR setting has been renamed to Rough Road Optimization.

I too have a 2019 gti se dsg I changed the setting and IT WORKS!
That's great to hear. Hopefully more people are able to try it out too.