GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

May have found the replacement for starting vibration reduction on the MK7.5

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Was playing around in OBDEleven the other night and found a setting under the same module and in a similar location called Rough Road. It has two options, Disabled and Enabled. Default setting was Enabled. I switched it to disabled and did a bit of testing on wet roads. It felt very similar to my old 2016 with SVR disabled. I'll be doing more testing tonight on dry roads and I'll update this with the results. Car is a stock 2019 GTI SE DSG with a few VCDS/OBDEleven tweaks

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
subscribed... I've been pulling the abs fuse on my 2018 golf R. seems to work as a starting vibration canceler on the R. car pulls way harder from a dig. won't work on gti because it also disables the PP diff

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
subscribed... I've been pulling the abs fuse on my 2018 golf R. seems to work as a starting vibration canceler on the R. car pulls way harder from a dig. won't work on gti because it also disables the PP diff

Wait reduce starting vibration disables the VAQ differential in the GTI?!

Navi

Autocross Champion

That's not true. My PP diff still works fine.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Pretty sure he meant pulling the ABS fuse on a GTI disables the VAQ. No idea if that is true, but I know the VAQ requires certain input to work.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Did some more testing on my lunch break tonight. More positive results. On dry roads, starting at 5mph in 1st, full throttle through 1st and 2nd with no power cut. Going to try some launches on my way home before I definitively say anything, but so far it's exactly how my '16 felt after disabling SVR.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Did multiple launches tonight and I can confirm that I don't get any power cuts. Was able to spin the wheels all through 1st and almost all of 2nd with no power cuts and no wheel hop. This is on a stock ECU and TCU tune. Only mods are lightweight wheels, ESC Off, diff set to increased traction, and Rough Road setting disabled.

Coding is as follows:
03 Brakes - Adaptation - Rough road optimization - not activated

Screenshot_20200219-212914.png
Screenshot_20200219-212925.png

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
Pretty sure he meant pulling the ABS fuse on a GTI disables the VAQ

this is correct...

2018 and later golf R's without starting vibration reduction... you can pull the abs module and get some pretty good results. you lose a few other functions (abs, passenger airbags) I'm sure some other shit but, the car will pull from a dig.

i'll disable the "rough road" function tomorrow and report back. i'm also gonna try to get a few ppl to chime in that have tried swapping abs modules on PP gti's with zero luck.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Isn't this taken care of with traction control, through a tune?

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base

no. abs interferes regardless of traction control being on or off. ive reached out to a few tuners including ed at eqt. he told me there's no way to disable starting vibration through tuning. i even reached out to paul from shop dap. he hadn't heard about the issue until i brought it to his attention.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Nope, tuning doesn't modify this setting. This is different to traction control. This setting's job is to prevent wheel hop during aggressive starts/launches when it's set to "activated". It does that by severely limiting wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gears. It's pretty good at its job, but it can be too aggressive at limiting wheelspin. If you have an aftermarket tune with traction control/launch control or if you know how to control wheelspin and stop wheel hop, you don't really need this setting to be active.

i'll try this in my 19R & report back
Please do. The more data that we can get on this, the better off we'll be.