GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

May have found the replacement for starting vibration reduction on the MK7.5

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yes. As well as VCDS, OBDeleven, and probably even "Fengshu Computer Happy Relationship Trainer Program Computer Car Personality Mind Modify"...

It's not the interfaces being unable to find it. The setting was MOVED in later models; or at least removed and replaced with something else.

The OP took it upon himself to find out if it had simply been renamed. This is all right in the original post.
Haha, oh

sorry I should not have used the literal acronym of SVR... here ya go.

“anyone still with just carista, you cannot access the rough roads setting or any of the setting that would provide the same or similar effects as disabling the SVR. All that’s optioned is to make the esc and asr disabled through the center console button and from my understanding of a response I received in this thread - This setting of “rough roads” (that is similar to SVR being disabled) would be a supplemental nanny to disable in addition to asr/esc.

Last edited:

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Haha, oh

sorry I should not have used the literal acronym of SVR... here ya go.

“anyone still with just carista, you cannot access the rough roads setting or any of the setting that would provide the same or similar effects as disabling the SVR. All that’s optioned is to make the esc and asr disabled through the center console button and from my understanding of a response I received in this thread - This setting of “rough roads” (that is similar to SVR being disabled) would be a supplemental nanny to disable in addition to asr/esc.

Oh, you're saying that Carista doesn't have this option at all, regardless of whether it's called "Rough Road", "Starting Vibration", or even Fredrica?

Put differently, you suggest that Carista has a limitation in this regard that VCDS and OBDeleven don't have.

It's certainly possible, if that's what you mean. I'll bet it's possible and even already there, but simply hasn't been added to the user interface. They've got a broader demographic to think of, being a more mass-market solution; so I wouldn't blame them for an update delay in regard to safety systems.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That wouldn't be a bad test, but I think that you could remove the chance at bias/expecting a change. Have him drive it on the same stretch of road in both a relaxed and aggressive manner before and after making the change. Don't tell him that anything has been changed and ask him if anything felt different. Don't mention anything about the changes so that he isn't looking for or expecting anything different. Might help to get rid of that variable and any placebo effect or confirmation bias.
I like how you think...yes, that would be the best way to do it. Record the setting and his response.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I feel I should point out that I'm still enjoying being one of the quicker cars away from traffic lights now, as well as having a much more relaxing time in heavy traffic and climbing through second on a hill start.

It went from being the worst manual I've ever driven to being as simple as an automatic; especially with the idiot-proof clutch still in effect. With the rev hang, turbo, and delayed clutch, it's about as smooth and quick as a good traditional "slushbox" automatic transmission. Good enough for road and track; though perhaps not good enough for a drag strip. That's not my thing, though.

This is obviously still a modern, mileage-focused six speed, and there's nothing to do about first gear being in the way, but now the power is there to use it up and forget about it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ok, so I don't know how SVR functioned, but I will say that in very wet conditions, with ESC full off and RRO disabled, I still get intervention, but it's only with ridiculous amounts of wheel spin in both 1st and 2nd.

I was not able to get it to intervene in the dry.

With RRO on, it definitely intervenes in the dry and much sooner in the wet.

If I remember correctly, SVR had 3 settings, something like normal, weak and inactive. Is it RRO had either active or inactive. I wonder if inactive is equal to the weak setting in SVR?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Ok, so I don't know how SVR functioned, but I will say that in very wet conditions, with ESC full off and RRO disabled, I still get intervention, but it's only with ridiculous amounts of wheel spin in both 1st and 2nd.

I was not able to get it to intervene in the dry.

With RRO on, it definitely intervenes in the dry and much sooner in the wet.

If I remember correctly, SVR had 3 settings, something like normal, weak and inactive. Is it RRO had either active or inactive. I wonder if inactive is equal to the weak setting in SVR?
RRO is either active or inactive. I'd be surprised if an inactive setting was still intervening. Are you sure that you weren't feeling the diff kicking in?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
RRO is either active or inactive. I'd be surprised if an inactive setting was still intervening. Are you sure that you weren't feeling the diff kicking in?

I could feel the car intervene with brakes and the light on the dash indicated that it was intervening.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I could feel the car intervene with brakes and the light on the dash indicated that it was intervening.

I caught a bit of it in snow-melt mud in my driveway the other day. I just figured the easiest way to push it would be to back out aggressively and when I got back just slam on the brakes to check the ABS system.

It's about what I expected. It seems to simply be ignoring things that would set the system off prematurely under adverse conditions, but it also opened up the power in the lower gears; so what it's done is essentially set the car up for people who live in areas with unimproved roads, where killing momentum is a severe inconvenience; and where you need more grunt at the bottom of the tachometer, such as starting in loose silt or sand. That's not normally an issue, but with a car that's already turbocharged, you want everything you can get down there.

Either way it's a night and day difference. Wouldn't be surprised if they came set up this way for African continental and Australian markets. I don't think I'd look forward to trying to push this on gravel, which is a bit of a shame for me (as if I'm going to do it anymore...), but it's a hell of a lot better on the road. (y)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Agreed, definitely better, but it appears that it isn't completely disabled. Like I said, I'd guess it's similar to SVR on the weaker setting.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
That's interesting, I never noticed that behavior on mine. Makes me think that it could be some sort of safety measure to prevent serious wheel hop, since the conditions you described are when the most serious wheel hop occurs in my experience.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That's interesting, I never noticed that behavior on mine. Makes me think that it could be some sort of safety measure to prevent serious wheel hop, since the conditions you described are when the most serious wheel hop occurs in my experience.
And don't get me wrong, deactivating RRO makes a huge difference,, especially in the dry, I just wanted to test in extreme conditions to see if all nannies were truly off. No one in there right middle is going to light the tires up like that in a heavy downpour.