GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

May have found the replacement for starting vibration reduction on the MK7.5

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I'm willing to bet that the systems that VW are using in the Porsche's are very similar to these ones, just biased more towards what enthusiasts want. Would make sense to adapt the tech that you already have instead of developing an entirely new system. You're right, it would be very nice to have control over these systems integrated into the infotainment. I'm willing to bet that the reason that they aren't is to help idiot-proof the cars. When it comes down to it, ASR, ESC, and SVR/RRO are safety systems. For the average driver who treats their car like an appliance, the factory config is adequate and makes sense. It's trying to remove any chance at losing control, which it does very well and is exactly why we butt heads with these systems. We want as much control over the car as possible and the safety systems are getting in the way of that. We want to control the car instead of the car controlling itself.

Yeah, it's just a shame they can't trust people who'd be willing to pay more for the access. Some of this stuff isn't bad near the limit in certain circumstances, even on a track. By itself, for example, ABS traction control can indeed be predictable and useful, and ABS in general is convenient much of the time. Tie it into other systems, though, and things change. You've attached suspenders to your belt, and while it still holds your pants up, you're now in trouble if you have some bad shrimp.

I don't blame VW as much as I blame the morons they have to serve; but to be fair they've taken intervention beyond the pale, here. They did go much farther than they needed to.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Has your friend been able to disable “starting vibration reduction”? Which is of course a different setting vs coding ESC full off.

That's what this thread is about; though I think the setting was still available in 2017, if I've been listening right.

At least on the 2019s, it seems (so far) to be at least partially wrapped under the rough road stuff.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Nah, I'm pretty sure practice makes perfect when it comes to launching the manual.

Anyway, not trying to start anything, just posting nonsense to amuse meself.

Let me guess, you have a DSG?

Because practice won't make the clutch engagement in these cars any more consistent. Or maybe my 35 years of racing and driving manuals just isn't enough practice?

Back to the thread.

Did the RRO deactivation. No more intervention. I'm liking the throttle adaption too.

Last edited:

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion

Because practice won't make the clutch engagement in these cars any more consistent. Or maybe my 35 years of racing and driving manuals just isn't enough practice?

Back to the thread.

Did the RRO deactivation. No more intervention. I'm liking the throttle adaption.

Anyone who thinks these issues are normal and that people should drive around them simply hasn't driven enough cars to make that determination. This stuff sticks out like a sore thumb; it's plain as day.

VW built the car the way they did specifically for those people.

I'm glad disabling that feature helped you as well. The OP has really turned the tide for later models, here. (y)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anyone who thinks these issues are normal and that people should drive around them simply hasn't driven enough cars to make that determination. This stuff sticks out like a sore thumb; it's plain as day.

VW built the car the way they did specifically for those people.

I'm glad disabling that feature helped you as well. The OP has really turned the tide for later models, here. (y)

Especially with me coming from a Miata. They're still very analog.

VW does a poor job integrating nannies into the driving experience.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I miss her, but it was brutal commuting over an hour each way to work.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1562593029129.jpg
    FB_IMG_1562593029129.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 135

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Because practice won't make the clutch engagement in these cars any more consistent.

I have a manual.

It's the worst manual gearbox I've ever operated, but its stupid quirks can be compensated for once you've experienced them enough. Having driven brilliant manual transmissions in the past is actually a detriment while learning this gearbox since it doesn't behave like those.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's the inconsistency that's the issue. A friend that's a multi time national champion wanted to try my car when it was GS prepped. He instantly crossed it off his list due to the inconsistency in the clutch. Trying to launch it at a pro solo would be awful.

Launching at a normal autocross wasn't too hard, you have a 5ft role out. The RRO still kicked in with 245's 200tw tires and even mild launches on stock power.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I have a manual.

It's the worst manual gearbox I've ever operated, but its stupid quirks can be compensated for once you've experienced them enough. Having driven brilliant manual transmissions in the past is actually a detriment while learning this gearbox since it doesn't behave like those.

No human can add power to that engine by wishing upon their left foot, and it still doesn't matter.

It is not clutch related; it's clutch adjacent. What happens with that pedal is a tertiary association. People are going to get the wrong idea about this...

The transmission itself is just a transmission. The clutch has a bit of a delay, but that's solved elsewhere, and it's not really a deal killer. This will help with that issue simply by giving you what you expect to get, but it's not going to solve a clutch problem that someone hasn't already corrected with the established mechanical solutions.

This may remove the vehicle's tendency to cut off fuel and some early assistance engagement, but it's also releasing a noose around the engine's neck in first and second gear.

That can't be understated. You paid for X, but you're only getting Y. The numbers don't matter; as long as Y is lower than X, there's a problem. The car may as well have come with a restrictor plate installed. This removed it.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
The thread is about how you can’t access and disable it through carista?

Yes. As well as VCDS, OBDeleven, and probably even "Fengshu Computer Happy Relationship Trainer Program Computer Car Personality Mind Modify"...

It's not the interfaces being unable to find it. The setting was MOVED in later models; or at least removed and replaced with something else.

The OP took it upon himself to find out if it had simply been renamed. This is all right in the original post.