GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

May have found the replacement for starting vibration reduction on the MK7.5

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Found this - certainly seems plausible in terms of whatever the "rough road" system is w/r to the brake system and it's impact on limiting engine torque.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18014/P1606/005638
That's a great find. Since it's called Rough Road/Engine Torque signal, that gives us a better idea of what the setting affects. Lends some credibility to the theory that the system uses the ABS sensors to detect and monitor wheelspin. I'd bed that it compares the rotation rate of the front and rear wheels to determine if the front's are spinning faster than the rears and interprets that as wheelspin, then acts accordingly.

honestly... you don't need to go back and forth. if you own one of these cars you know how disappointing they are from a dig. i was really considering taking a loss on the car. the difference is night and day. similar results to pulling the abs fuse without the bullshit and losing functionality.

i don't know how or why. def need more information on exactly what is happening and whether this is safe long term. i reached out to another gti owner. he said it didn't help and he seems to know really know these cars...

sorry for my ramblings... i need coffee. very happy with how the car is behaving currently.
The only risk that I'm aware of is for wheel hop to occur. The chance of it happening on dry roads is minimal, but it can definitely happen on wet roads, especially on modified cars with greater than stock power levels. As long as the driver understands what wheel hop is and knows how to counter it, they should be fine.

I did some more testing last night. Turned the setting back on, then did some aggressive acceleration from a stop and a slow roll. As soon as wheelspin occurred, the power was reduced. I turned the setting back off, then did the same types of aggressive acceleration on the same section of road and didn't get any power cuts. The wheels spun freely and I could control it with the accelerator.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Yeah I don't really understand some of this. My 18 all I've done is code esc button and my dbv2 and is38 both just smacked off rev limiter for as long as I wanted. Never had any power cuts or anything.

Now my friends 17 gti was constantly flashing tc and pulling power even with esc coded to off. So I don't understand why some models do it and others don't.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Sounds good - you are doing it right then...the key is controlling variables. I just have this thing about folks posting up a VCDS mod without any testing and then everyone accepts it as gospel. The science-guy in me I suppose! I love this stuff!

Yup, that's why I'm so annoying when it comes to details. Variables are important to eliminate; and while I can't eliminate or record them all, I can use proper deduction.

I've found many assumptions to be incorrect over the years in regard to specific vehicles; especially with high degrees of system integration.

That also includes "Flintstone Simple" classics, though.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah I don't really understand some of this. My 18 all I've done is code esc button and my dbv2 and is38 both just smacked off rev limiter for as long as I wanted. Never had any power cuts or anything.

Now my friends 17 gti was constantly flashing tc and pulling power even with esc coded to off. So I don't understand why some models do it and others don't.
Which DSG tune are you guys on?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion

Mine (and others, apparently) significantly reduces available power well beyond normal turbocharger limitations in lower gears; and I'm stuck with a manual which, given these limitations, was a terrible choice in this car. It's just not fun at all. It's a chore; making the whole car pointless. May as well have bought a base model Golf for all the juice I've got pulling away from a traffic light.

That darn three second rev hang into second and third wouldn't be so bad if I got moving at a decent rate to begin with.

No joke, it comes off the line like my Land Rover in third low; but without naturally aspirated torque to kick you in the ass. Even when the turbo spools, you're driving a tractor off the line; and that's just in everyday driving.

That's flat-out dangerous in modern, impatient traffic, and this car has the power on paper to do much better. It's never going to be a naturally aspirated vehicle, but it can do a hell of a lot better than this. I don't expect to be "fast", but I do expect to at least be able to get out of the way of a 1992 Oldsmobile.

It doesn't completely kill the fuel until I'm pushing things, but it's limiting my output to begin with; just enough to drive me batty when traffic becomes heavy.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks, this was really bothering me that some 2018 and all 2019 couldn't optimize the launch like earlier. I was going to try playing around and finding it, because I know it still had to be there, but just hadn't had the time due to work. Thanks again, if you're ever in Jacksonville FL area, you've got a beer coming your way.

Last edited:

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Well, I've done it.

There is NO WAY this can be interpreted as any manner of placebo or "butt dyno" experience.

It's a completely different car now.

This makes two cars that the OP just saved. If this couldn't be solved, I was going to have to trade it in and lose out; and I've only had it for a month.

Hell, I'd already started test driving Subarus, and would have probably done it next week.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
So what is the trade off for doing this? My little hatch is just a weekend toy so I am just curious if (at all) there is a downside?

I'll be checking to see if I can detect any; making sure certain features still function when desirable, and so on.

Finding any downsides will take a while, and a lot of digital switch-flipping.

Right now it just seems like it's eliminating the perpetual intrusion, quite a bit of the power limitation in first and second, and unnecessary power theft in general; which is a stupid, unsafe feature to begin with.

So, it appears at this time that what it's doing is mitigating the overly aggressive "preventative" nature of some of the systems but, again, it'll take a while to really figure it all out.

Minivans aren't beating me off the line at red lights, anymore. It's revving more readily in those gears, as well, which allows me to engage that three second long first to second shift when I'm actually moving and out of the way now; and I don't have to wait until third to rocket off.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
to clarify, is this different than when you change the coding for the traction button to be "1 push ASR off, long hold ASR/ESC off" ? that's how i have my car now but it would be nice like mentioned above to not have to hold the button down everytime i restart the car.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
So what is the trade off for doing this? My little hatch is just a weekend toy so I am just curious if (at all) there is a downside?
The trade off is the potential for wheel hop and the issues that can cause. As long as you're ok with that and understand how to stop it/respond to it if it happens, then you're all good. A little bit of wheel hop isn't going to hurt anything, but repeated and strong instances of it can.

I'm glad that this find is helping people out.

Minivans aren't beating me off the line at red lights, anymore. It's revving more readily in those gears, as well, which allows me to engage that three second long first to second shift when I'm actually moving and out of the way now; and I don't have to wait until third to rocket off.
Another thing to try is to change the acceleration setting to "direct controlled over". This will help to sharpen up the throttle response and remove some of the input lag. I've seen positive results on a '16 and '19 myself. Many other people have seen positive results from it. Coding is as follows:

44 steering assist →security access 19249→adaptation→driving profile swtichover→set "incremental controlled over time" to "direct controlled over"

Here's the relevant thread with more info:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/direct-acceleration-tweak-via-vag-com.344677/

to clarify, is this different than when you change the coding for the traction button to be "1 push ASR off, long hold ASR/ESC off" ? that's how i have my car now but it would be nice like mentioned above to not have to hold the button down everytime i restart the car.
Yes, this is different to that. Think of this as a supplement to that. Kind of like the next step in turning of the electronic nannies that prevent you from having fun. You'll still need to turn off ESC manually each time you start the car. This is a different system that works in tandem with ESC.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
The trade off is the potential for wheel hop and the issues that can cause. As long as you're ok with that and understand how to stop it/respond to it if it happens, then you're all good. A little bit of wheel hop isn't going to hurt anything, but repeated and strong instances of it can.

I'm glad that this find is helping people out.

Another thing to try is to change the acceleration setting to "direct controlled over". This will help to sharpen up the throttle response and remove some of the input lag. I've seen positive results on a '16 and '19 myself. Many other people have seen positive results from it. Coding is as follows:

44 steering assist →security access 19249→adaptation→driving profile swtichover→set "incremental controlled over time" to "direct controlled over"

Here's the relevant thread with more info:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/direct-acceleration-tweak-via-vag-com.344677/

Yes, this is different to that. Think of this as a supplement to that. Kind of like the next step in turning of the electronic nannies that prevent you from having fun. You'll still need to turn off ESC manually each time you start the car. This is a different system that works in tandem with ESC.

Yeah, I did change the throttle reporting a little while ago. That made a big difference in control; it's not perfect, but it's much better. Tightening up the differential helped, as well.

Combined with this alteration, it's a huge difference. This car was terrible before, and the only reason it was still around was the nice interior and good looks.

Now to chase that rev hang as far as possible without a tune and a flywheel... ?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I have to check if I have that setting and if it is just disabled on mine, never had powercut the way some of you are describing only TC interference when it is active.

I did have wheelhop with stock Potenza S001s but that went away when I got PS4s.