GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

May have found the replacement for starting vibration reduction on the MK7.5

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I'm not trying to be a dick about it, just trying to be realistic. It's not a good idea to make coding changes without knowing exactly what is being changed. When making the changes manually, you can reference the history stored in the app if you need to troubleshoot. As far as I'm aware, that doesn't work with the apps.

I didn't really take your comment to be rude. I just looked up some stuff on various sites and seems like coding probably is the way to go the majority of the time.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Should I use xds strong on my gti s 15?
I "fully send it" in my wagon and I have left mine on standard/as it came. Mess with it, you won't hurt anything.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Should I use xds strong on my gti s 15?

It depends.

If you track or carve up the canyons on weekends , I'd set it low or off, because it really beats up the brakes and front tires.

For DDing, it's fine.

If you added a LSD, then try it in all the different settings and see what feels best.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I will say, w/r to the XDS/XDS, I did some logging a while back - you can watch your live data with OBDEleven and see it working. The ONLY time it engaged was under several wheel spin conditions - it's not coming on during sweepers, tight turns, etc. I had to turn out of a parking lot from a stop and spin it to get it to engage. Folks talk this is happening all the time - it's not.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I will say, w/r to the XDS/XDS, I did some logging a while back - you can watch your live data with OBDEleven and see it working. The ONLY time it engaged was under several wheel spin conditions - it's not coming on during sweepers, tight turns, etc. I had to turn out of a parking lot from a stop and spin it to get it to engage. Folks talk this is happening all the time - it's not.

I own an 18 S and 19 Rabbit. XDS cooks the brakes autocrossing and on track without a LSD. Sorry, that's just the reality of it.

On the street, probably make no difference, but it does when driven hard.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I own an 18 S and 19 Rabbit. XDS cooks the brakes autocrossing and on track without a LSD. Sorry, that's just the reality of it.

On the street, probably make no difference, but it does when driven hard.
That was my point...99% of owners mess with these settings and will get nothing. You are in conditions where this system will be active. But to be fair wouldn't your brakes be cooked in autocross regardless?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That was my point...99% of owners mess with these settings and will get nothing. You are in conditions where this system will be active. But to be fair wouldn't your brakes be cooked in autocross regardless?

The 19 with the VAQ stays significantly cooler. I melted the center caps on the 18 S, water would sizzle when spraying the tires down and it would take an hour before they were cool enough to swap back to streets and put them in the trunk. It had to be killing the bearings too. Heat cycled out a set of RE71R's before hitting the wear bars, which is crazy.

19 they get slightly hotter than the rears and July was the first time I needed to spray them down. Still weren't very hot though. Approaching wear bars and tires still have good grip.

In a purely street car, I'd totally leave it on though.

mk7point5

I too have a 2019 gti se dsg I changed the setting and IT WORKS!
THis is what I am not understanding. I have a 2018 GTI S, built in August 2018. You have a 2019 and it works for you, and the 2018 gti friend I have with a build date of late 2017, his works too. What am I missing lmao, why is mine different in the middle of the years... smh VW

Did you find starting vibration ? Or Rough Road Adaption worked for you?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
THis is what I am not understanding. I have a 2018 GTI S, built in August 2018. You have a 2019 and it works for you, and the 2018 gti friend I have with a build date of late 2017, his works too. What am I missing lmao, why is mine different in the middle of the years... smh VW

Did you find starting vibration ? Or Rough Road Adaption worked for you?

With a 2019 he must mean Rough Road optimization. I have a 2018 build date 2/18 and it does not have the starting vibration reduction setting.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So the going hypothesis is that on newer MK7s, since the “starting vibration reduction” adaptation in the brake control module is no longer there, that it has been replaced with the “rough road optimization” adaptation. I don't buy it. My 18 GSW has both adaptations available so on newer models where you don’t have it, I don’t see that it’s replacing anything….you just don’t have SVR anymore and RRO is a separate adaptation all-together. Rough Road Optimization doesn’t sound anything like SVR in terms of the naming convention and both are in the braking module. My hypothesis is that RRO is just helping with rough undulating surfaces where your traction control will sometimes intervene as wheels are bouncing and not making contact allowing spin so ABS speed sensors see what they think as slip and intervene to keep thing moving along smoothly. There appears to be some backing for this here:

18014/P1606/005638 - Ross-Tech Wiki (ross-tech.com)

In that way, RRO being off *could* be helping the fwd folks slip more on launch but does anyone have actual repeatable data (60’, 0-60) that shows this actually improves anything? I just see this thrown around as fact when to me, there needs to be some more backup and testing here.