GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Max safe tune boost pressure?

nis240sxt

Ready to race!
Nope, feels like a beast :) No abnormal noises, hesitation or anything. The tuned GTI is how VW intended to make this car but couldn't due to insurance and emissions regulations in my opinion, so they had to turn it down some. The new EA888 gen 3 is a tuners dream, strong engine thats built well and has tons left in it for us to play with. Honestly, that's the main reason I bought this car lol.

Exactly my thoughts also except for the early revision turbos. Hope all that has been sorted out.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
I haven't decided on which tune yet, APR or Eurodyne.

APR seems to have the more mature tune, but I can't flash it myself and I prefer the flatter torque curve of the Eurodyne based on the dyno pulls I have seen. I'd need to drive them both to decide which is best.

There are many APR dealers in my area to choose from. I plan to call them for quotes. If they throw in something extra, like a few dyno pulls, I may go APR.

I don't think Eurodyne has a PP specific tune yet (does it matter?) RjRacing has a PP specific APR tune so I am assuming it does matter.

I have seen the Neuspeed module. Would seem to be untraceable, which is nice. Howver, I don't like the idea of increasing boost without also tuning the engine paramters, timing, fuel curves, etc.

Napadirt, so have you made a decision on which tune you would go with? You can always go the NEUSPEED Power Module with a conservative 5psi increase until more information comes out from tuned cars about the various tunes on the market.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
The amount of boost pressure increase can be substabtial, E.g. from ~18psi upto 24psi (from what I have read, correct me if I am wrong).

My questions:
(And sorry if I am being a pain in the @$& here)

1. How do these tuners know the safe upper limit to boost pressure on my engine? Why not 27psi?

2. How do they know the longterm impact to engine wear (including the turbo) at these increased pressures? How could they know? Do they test to failure? Have acess to factory test data?

3. Assuming these tunes are relatively safe to install, meaning there is some risk involved but it's not a "gernade motor", is VW intentionally de-tuning my engine from the factory?

These are pretty valid questions and apply to all forms of motor vehicle modifications.

1. On a turbo car the psi added will dictate how much extra power and torque you will add. There is a restriction to this due to the limits of what kind of psi the turbo can produce before it starts building substantial heat where adding psi is no longer beneficial. At this stage you have to take into account the fuel quality available as the car might gain power but start detonating after a certain boost level. The timing can be altered to combat this to certain degree and a happy place needs to be found of timing vs boost vs octane available.
Thereafter the car needs to be tested under variable conditions. The standard ECU has a factor that controls boost vs intake temperatures vs ambient. You got to see the range of where this occurs so you can keep the tune within the limits of adaption but also not continuously adapting (this makes for a smoother driving tune). The perfect tune has no adaption in most conditions which means the preset settings is a happy place without requiring ECU correction as it would come from the factory. A example of this is a tune that continuously pulls timing. This means the timing is not set at optimum and requires corrections on a on going basis. You may find a position where the timing is also ok for winter conditions but find in summer it starts pulling again. So the tuner needs to set the happy place for both conditions potentially leaving power on the table knowingly. This may also be the case when a tune is set borderline for 91 but it would be happier using 93. The guys that I know that wholesale flash tunes generally find this happy place and pull it back 5%. The tunes may not break dyno records but it makes for a happy customer in the long run. This is the best choice in my opinion since they do not have to sit and market their products since other tuners are doing the reselling of their software.
The MK7 GTI in my case has been slightly harder due to various theories of why the turbos are breaking. The flutter that is heard is not normal in my opinion and points to spool surge. Research of early tune adopters with tunes that start balls to the wall with maximum boost available i.e. 380 torque from the onset have not had their turbo's last. This from a pool of 4 tuners local to me and probably in the region of 25 cars. Hence in my case a solution was priority before even considering release of a product.

2.Once the above is all figured out and is to each tuners liking a decision may need to be made on what amount of power is safe for the car. The VAG group generally over engineers the car to a large extent. Past history has dictated that the bottom ends can generally take whatever the stock turbo can throw at them on a continuous basis starting from the MK4 GTI and up. In all the past cases its generally a bad tune that breaks the motor and not a good powerful one.
With the turbos having a weakness the thrust bearing gets worn first. Its easy to test this as you can remove the intake pipe and check for play. We have done this on a continuous basis over various cars. When cars are first released tuners are each others best friends. I am not talking about what occurs in the US but their European counterparts and other places in the world. Disasters are discussed and information is shared. Most have gone out and purchased test cars and have driven them balls to the wall and to the point of recklessness to motor.
3. The power your car makes has already been decided before design phase and is purely a figure the marketing guys come up with. They need to keep check on what the competition is doing, keep fuel consumption levels competitive, meet emission average goals across the brand and build it in such a way that maximises profitability for the group. They also need to keep into account the other models within the brand and make sure up the price range the car does not trespass performance wise making it a non value car.

Hope I could satisfy your questions to a degree.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
When you blow a head gasket you know you have too much boost. But you won't, because even with a tune you still have limiting factors. It's either backpressure, turbo capacity, fueling, or intake restriction. I figure turbo capacity.

PatrickVas

Ready to race!
Don't wanna change the subject or anything but just wanna say a big thank you to George for always being helpful on here. Not many tuners (here, at least) share their findings with as much detail as you and you do it without being a smart ass, and I just wanna say I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) appreciate that. Most helpful tuner on here IMO [emoji106][emoji106].

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
George Smooth,

Thanks for the great information! That's exactly the kind of response I was hoping for.

Jentzchristian

Car(s)
2017 GTI
30.7 stage 2 FBO EQT 4500ft. Elevation

Attachments

• 92EF90B3-2263-4077-8E3F-5153C5E5BF17.jpeg
    92EF90B3-2263-4077-8E3F-5153C5E5BF17.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 142

RTFM

Ready to race!
Hey man so am I it’s still open Mr wanna be moderator
It wasn’t that you couldn’t revive the thread, it was that your post was a meaningless contribution to the thread. One turbo being able to hold 30.7 psi one time didn’t answer the question that was posed. It was what boost is safe on this car for a long time and how is that determined and one turbo doing it one time doesn’t mean that it is a safe level

Jentzchristian

Car(s)
2017 GTI
It wasn’t that you couldn’t revive the thread, it was that your post was a meaningless contribution to the thread. One turbo being able to hold 30.7 psi one time didn’t answer the question that was posed. It was what boost is safe on this car for a long time and how is that determined and one turbo doing it one time doesn’t mean that it is a safe level
So your saying Eqt doesn’t have safe OTS tunes? Seems to me that you want to be right about something? As so many kids do with Volkswagens...

Jentzchristian

Car(s)
2017 GTI
So your saying Eqt doesn’t have safe OTS tunes? Seems to me that you want to be right about something? As so many kids do with Volkswagens... It’s a contribution non the less so I would say your response probably has less to do with boost pressure than my initial response . Have a great day

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Peak boost tends to be a little higher at high elevation , since it's relative to baro pressure. Absolute pressure is lower than a comparable sea level car, other than maybe low rpm boost spike.