GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Massachusetts Inspection questions

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I have a CTS Turbo Downpipe with the cat installed and I'm moving from RI to MASS. I want to make sure that I will pass inspection. The car is stock except for an I take and the downpipe with a cat. How do the inspections work in mass?? Will I have to replace my dp with the factory one every time I want to get inspected or can I just use the O2 spacer that came with the downpipe so it won't throw the CEL? I do not have the ability to stay registered in RI btw

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
https://www.mavehiclecheck.com/motorists-basicinfo/

MA has the same guidelines pretty much as RI. 1 monitored allowed as 'Not Ready', no emissions DTC\CELs allowed.

If you passed in RI with your downpipe and spacer, you should pass in MA.
I haven't had to get it Inspected yet lol. Bought the car on new years eve. It came Inspected from the dealer. I did the work more recently lol. So idk. With the spacer the CEL is off. Do they still check emissions by hooking a hoze up to the exhaust? Because idk how much I trust CTS's cat. I'm asking because I'm talking to someone who is willing to trade my factory dp, factory intake, and my 2018 MacBook pro that I'm selling for a Unitronic intercooler and an is38 turbo from a golf r with 10k miles on it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I haven't had to get it Inspected yet lol. Bought the car on new years eve. It came Inspected from the dealer. I did the work more recently lol. So idk. With the spacer the CEL is off. Do they still check emissions by hooking a hoze up to the exhaust? Because idk how much I trust CTS's cat. I'm asking because I'm talking to someone who is willing to trade my factory dp, factory intake, and my 2018 MacBook pro that I'm selling for a Unitronic intercooler and an is38 turbo from a golf r with 10k miles on it.

Nope, no hose as far as I know. It's all computer based nowadays checking for emission readiness and no faults.

Is the car tuned, or are you just running the downpipe without a tune?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Nope, no hose as far as I know. It's all computer based nowadays checking for emission readiness and no faults.

Is the car tuned, or are you just running the downpipe without a tune?
Without a tune atm. I'm trying to trade my 2018 MacBook pro for a Cobb AP with DSG unlocked so I can get a tune but no one has wanted to make the trade

mfrench2022

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk7.5 r
Emissions in mass is done solely through OB2 port. You typically can get away without one readiness monitor but beyond that they will fail you. I find if you go to a dealer they are more lenient when it comes to inspections and passing you if your car is not super loud with super dark tint.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Emissions in mass is done solely through OB2 port. You typically can get away without one readiness monitor but beyond that they will fail you. I find if you go to a dealer they are more lenient when it comes to inspections and passing you if your car is not super loud with super dark tint.
Even tuned the dealer will be willing to do it?

mfrench2022

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk7.5 r
Even tuned the dealer will be willing to do it?
Yup. Used to do it with my sti's all the time and have done it with this car. Although i just had jb4 on it so easy to unplug. Just say your new to the area and looking for a dealer to bring your car for work in the future. Even modded i still get my factory service done at dealership since i have prepaid maintinance. Colonial has been my go to and a lot of the techs have modded cars.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Yup. Used to do it with my sti's all the time and have done it with this car. Although i just had jb4 on it so easy to unplug. Just say your new to the area and looking for a dealer to bring your car for work in the future. Even modded i still get my factory service done at dealership since i have prepaid maintinance. Colonial has been my go to and a lot of the techs have modded cars.
Thank you. For this

mfrench2022

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk7.5 r

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S