GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mass inspections exhaust question

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
If I have a catted downpipe and an awe track exhaust with no mufflers would I fail mass inspections? (my CEL is not on and my dp has the O2 spacer so my dp won't be the issue). It's. More a question about the catback exhaust. Will they fail me for not having a muffler?

OldnSlow

Car(s)
2015 GTI S 2-Door
When I had my POS Toyota in the early 2000s, there was no issue with the aftermarket exhaust. The state's looking for the downstream/post-cat O2 sensor to be "Ready," which is the only exhaust thing I can think of MA looking at.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

OldnSlow

Car(s)
2015 GTI S 2-Door
This is very good news. I have a 42dd spacer around somewhere that I never used. I've seen differing opinions on how to orient the spacer's dogleg (pointed up or down). Any sense if this actually makes a difference?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
from cranston which station did you go to for your inspection? i am stage 2 inspection due next month
Are you needing ri or mass inspections? I know your in cranston rn but yeah. As long as you're not throwing codes you should be fine tbh. If you have a cat and have the readiness monitors are all set you should be fine

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Ho
This is very good news. I have a 42dd spacer around somewhere that I never used. I've seen differing opinions on how to orient the spacer's dogleg (pointed up or down). Any sense if this actually makes a difference?
Honestly however it screws in is how I did it 🤣

Last edited:

BrianB1993

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI S 6MT
Also looking for location, im around the Boston area.. i used to take my EVO to lawrence or woburn has no issues.. but now my mk7.5 has a catted DP and MBRP cat back with no mufflers so very loud lmaooo need a good spot to get my inspection done by april!!

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
https://g.co/kgs/HGEKj5
Also looking for location, im around the Boston area.. i used to take my EVO to lawrence or woburn has no issues.. but now my mk7.5 has a catted DP and MBRP cat back with no mufflers so very loud lmaooo need a good spot to get my inspection done by april!!

BrianB1993

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI S 6MT
thank you. We have a very similar setup for parts.. I do have full turboback exhaust now tho, thats my main concern is how loud i am lol CTS catted DP into MBRP's no muffler setup is very loud lol. Im also running the EQT 2 93 tune while im waiting on my Sneekytune. I do have a CEL from my DP (i dont while i have EQT map flashed) Do i need to flash back to stock or a Cobb OTS map to get inspected? I know ill have a CEL from the DP, i have like 5 different brands of defoulers i can try to use to get the light off, but i dont want to bring it to be inspected while on EQT if his stage 2 tune disables the o2. Im not sure my OBDeleven can check readiness on IOS yet. waiting on another cheap scan tool to check my sensors. I asked EQT if his tune only has 1 monitor read not ready or if there are multiple. I dont have a CEL on EQT's map. But i know once i flash back to cobbs OTS or stock ill have the light come back. Did you flash off the EQT tune to something else to get inspected or did you pass with EQT's tune.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
thank you. We have a very similar setup for parts.. I do have full turboback exhaust now tho, thats my main concern is how loud i am lol CTS catted DP into MBRP's no muffler setup is very loud lol. Im also running the EQT 2 93 tune while im waiting on my Sneekytune. I do have a CEL from my DP (i dont while i have EQT map flashed) Do i need to flash back to stock or a Cobb OTS map to get inspected? I know ill have a CEL from the DP, i have like 5 different brands of defoulers i can try to use to get the light off, but i dont want to bring it to be inspected while on EQT if his stage 2 tune disables the o2. Im not sure my OBDeleven can check readiness on IOS yet. waiting on another cheap scan tool to check my sensors. I asked EQT if his tune only has 1 monitor read not ready or if there are multiple. I dont have a CEL on EQT's map. But i know once i flash back to cobbs OTS or stock ill have the light come back. Did you flash off the EQT tune to something else to get inspected or did you pass with EQT's tune.
EQT didn't disable for me. I ran eqt when I got it inspected. Just make sure your readiness monitors are good and you should be fine. The Cobb AP can check readiness.

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
I have an AWE track exhaust with stock DP and I had a place flat out tell me they would fail me because its "aftermarket". I went down the street to another place who said that an aftermarket exhaust could be failed if its was too loud but they passed me with no issues.