GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Transmission Redline

elamothe15

Ready to race!
I am fairly new to driving a manual transmission and I am just wondering about redlining the MK7. As I'm sure most of you know, there are two redline thicknesses on the tachometer. One is at approximately 6000rpm and the other is at about 7200rpm. I am just wondering how safe it is waiting to shift within the “first redline thickness?” For example, say shift around 6300rpm.

My car has about 4500 miles on it now, so it is past the break in period. The most I have ever pushed it is about 5500rpm

LG3MK7

Ready to race!
I usually shift like 6,500 car pulls like a beast uptop

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I am fairly new to driving a manual transmission and I am just wondering about redlining the MK7. As I'm sure most of you know, there are two redline thicknesses on the tachometer. One is at approximately 6000rpm and the other is at about 7200rpm. I am just wondering how safe it is waiting to shift within the “first redline thickness?” For example, say shift around 6300rpm.

My car has about 4500 miles on it now, so it is past the break in period. The most I have ever pushed it is about 5500rpm

Are you planning on redlining a lot or this is jus a once in a while thing? Just keep in mind that this is not a race car just keep that in mind especially if you are new to manuals. Enjoy the car
In my case I drive kind of fast but I redline once in a blue moon.

Garynovis

Ready to race!
I've gone up to 6,800 but losing power there

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Looking at a dyno chart, and being much cleverer than me, surely it is possible to pick the optimum shift point?

If a gear change drops the revs by, say for example, 1,000 revs, and the maximum BHP (assuming that is the correct figure to be using, occurs between 5,000 and 6,000, then 6,000 is the shift point?

Whereby the total power available between 4,900 - 5,900, or 5,100 to 6,100, is less than 5,000 - 6,000

The power builds up, then drops off, so there is surely an optimum peak you can use?

Apologies if that is not correct,

G

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
You can safely take this car to the first red line. I enjoy a spirited drive, and usually hit the red line when I get on an launch ramp... I mean on ramp...

The only time I have pushed it too hard was trying to go up a steep hill (Honestly, who puts a stop sign at the steepest part of a hill???). I had to put a lot of gas on the car just to get it not to stall out. I hit the gas a little too hard and the tires lost grip and started to spin.

I thought I was going to start getting the rev bounces that I got on my old cars, but this car didnt rev bounce. I actually tried hitting the gas down harder to see if it would, and it just kept the revs around 6500-6800. Then the tires started smoking so I decided to shift into second.

Long story short, I dont think this car will let you over rev the engine. I think the computer puts a stop to it, once it detects you are being stupid with the gas pedal.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Thanks for all of the help everyone! I don't bring it to 5500rpm that often (once a week) and I was just wondering if when I do that would it be ok to push it a little further. Seems like I'm good to go! Thanks!

Shifty6

Ready to race!
Spin it spin it spin it. I had a 276,000 mile passat I often (several times a day) would shift at redline. Once broken in (fairly quickly and with oil warm) my car will see frequent visits to 6K. I don't shift much higher than that just because this car will never be that quick. There should be a tach redline and a fuel cut off. I am guessing the fuel cut off is somewhere north of the red on the tach. I think on the Mk6 the redline is 6500, and the cut off is 6800.

Once the oil is warm you are not going to damage the engine by revving it to 6500 regularly.

Radfox

Ready to race!
FYI. The car protects itself if you try to over rev it while accelerating. It will cut the throttle and you will feel the car stop accelerating. I wouldn't make a habit of doing it but as far as I know you cant blow the engine up hitting the cut out point repeatedly.