GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual trans fluid?

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I have a 2017 GTI. A manual transmission flush with the Genuine VW fluid (75 weight, so I hear) will run about $150 for 3 bottles at ECS Tuning. Yipes!

Some people upgrade to the Motul Gear 300 75W-90, but this is my daily driver, so the cold shift issues with that take it out of consideration. I am not tuned, so don't need its extra protection. This is about $75 for 3.

Motul also makes Motul Motylgear 75W-90, the same weight, I don't know what the cold shift quality is, but it is supposed to be for hard to shift gearboxes. It's only $53 for 3 bottles. I wonder what the difference is between it and the Gear 300? Same multiviscosity, same GL-4 / GL-5... AH! This is "semi-synthetic"!

Motul Motylgear 75W 80 has a very slightly higher viscosity range than a single-weight, and is $50 for 3bottles. I'm not sure how it compares to its big brother above. Just a slightly different additive package?

Liquimoly has a 75W-90 as well, I don't know how it compares to the Motuls on cold shifting. Fully synthetic, on sale for $60 for 3 bottles.

The prince range of these (besides the OEM) is not enough to make me choose on that basis. The Gear 300 is out, because: Winter. I do autocross, but nothing extreme. I'm mainly interested in shift quality that is equal or better than using the OEM fluid. Or... are there others I should be considering? Red Line MT-LV 70W-75W synthetic? Would there be a fuel mileage hit going to a 75W-90 fluid?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Check fcpeuro.com, they have oem fluid and redline

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Back in September I replaced Motul 300 with the Redline MT-LV and am loving the shift feel. No need for double clutching to avoid the notchy shift in the cold mornings anymore. And definitely look to FCP Euro like @OldVWFan said! Fair prices, quick shipping (even if you choose the free option), and their lifetime replacement warranty just can't be beaten.

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Thanks for reminding me of FCPEuro! They also have Febi Bilstein, 75 W, for almost half of what the Redline MT-LV is. It is shown as "OEM", but without the high price of "genuine VW".
They sell a kit, with two drain plugs... I'd replace the drain plug, sure, but will the fill plug leak?? I doubt it!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Back in September I replaced Motul 300 with the Redline MT-LV and am loving the shift feel. No need for double clutching to avoid the notchy shift in the cold mornings anymore. And definitely look to FCP Euro like @OldVWFan said! Fair prices, quick shipping (even if you choose the free option), and their lifetime replacement warranty just can't be beaten.
Motul 300 is garbage. How do I know? It's still in my tranny. Gar.... bage.

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
My understanding ("guess") is that Motul Gear 300 is for high-power applications, racing use, or those who want to use "the good stuff". It should work fine once warmed up and driven hard. This does not describe my typical use; even my autocross use should not stress the OEM fluid.
Again... I don't have any direct experience here, going on other's experience, including yours. I'll stay away from Gear 300, and maybe stay away from 75W-90? MT-LV is 70W-75W GL-4, Febi B is 75W. I'm thinking the viscosity isn't the big deal (the "75W" should mean all the cold viscosity should be about the same) but rather the additive package that makes the difference in cold shifting.

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Wait... do we really need to replace the drain and fill plugs?? Do they wear out? They don't appear to have a gasket, so I'm thinking a used one is still good?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Gear 300 is great when warm, but when cold, can barely get into reverse

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
It's pretty good, Blackstone labs tests have confirmed that. Not meant for daily driver cars.
Yea.. It's "fine" when it's warm. But damn does my transmission hate life when the fluid isn't up to temp. The take away is, most guys don't need Motul 300 in their transmissions.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
It's pretty good, Blackstone labs tests have confirmed that. Not meant for daily driver cars.

Yea.. It's "fine" when it's warm. But damn does my transmission hate life when the fluid isn't up to temp. The take away is, most guys don't need Motul 300 in their transmissions.

Yeah. I can't even get it in reverse when it's cold. Perfect when it's warm though

JonesZ

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE, "75 TR
I have a 2017 GTI. A manual transmission flush with the Genuine VW fluid (75 weight, so I hear) will run about $150 for 3 bottles at ECS Tuning. Yipes! Some people upgrade to the Motul Gear 300 75W-90, but this is my daily driver, so the cold shift issues with that take it out of consideration. I am not tuned, so don't need its extra protection. This is about $75 for 3. Motul also makes Motul Motylgear 75W-90, the same weight, I don't know what the cold shift quality is, but it is supposed to be for hard to shift gearboxes. It's only $53 for 3 bottles. I wonder what the difference is between it and the Gear 300? Same multiviscosity, same GL-4 / GL-5... AH! This is "semi-synthetic"! Motul Motylgear 75W 80 has a very slightly higher viscosity range than a single-weight, and is $50 for 3bottles. I'm not sure how it compares to its big brother above. Just a slightly different additive package? Liquimoly has a 75W-90 as well, I don't know how it compares to the Motuls on cold shifting. Fully synthetic, on sale for $60 for 3 bottles. The prince range of these (besides the OEM) is not enough to make me choose on that basis. The Gear 300 is out, because: Winter. I do autocross, but nothing extreme. I'm mainly interested in shift quality that is equal or better than using the OEM fluid. Or... are there others I should be considering? Red Line MT-LV 70W-75W synthetic? Would there be a fuel mileage hit going to a 75W-90 fluid?

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 43

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I went with the Febi Bilstein 75W, which I am led to understand is OEM fluid without the price. I seriously considered the Motul Motylgear 75W80, but nobody seems to be using that...
So far, happy with the Febi Bilstein, shifts great, but the weather has been warm. (I don't expect any issues when it's colder.)