GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Trans Fluid?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Now, I never hear people talking about manual trans fluid change, so please enlighten me.

What difference does this make, really? Make revs drop faster/slower? Make clutch engagement more uniform? My car currently feels rougher when the car is really warmed up, like after a couple hours of driving. Revs drop slow, clutch pedal stiffer and squeaky, jittery, etc. Transmission is super smooth in the first hour of driving then it slowly gets worse.

Do the options you guys have listed help alleviate this by making the first hour notchy then the rest of it buttery smooth? What's goin on here

Basically it's preventative maintenance. Changing fluid to rid the transmission of metal shavings from break in and wear up to this point.

Changing oil weight will swing the "sweet spot" of butter smooth shifts to the heat range you want. For warmer climates or heavy track use heavier weight (will shift hard till it's warm), or for cooler climates and more mild use the OEM fluid is probably best even if you do drain and replace it from time to time

ashiun

Ready to race!
Basically it's preventative maintenance. Changing fluid to rid the transmission of metal shavings from break in and wear up to this point.

Changing oil weight will swing the "sweet spot" of butter smooth shifts to the heat range you want. For warmer climates or heavy track use heavier weight (will shift hard till it's warm), or for cooler climates and more mild use the OEM fluid is probably best even if you do drain and replace it from time to time

So it appears what I'm looking for is a heavier weight because it gets rid of the notchy gearbox and transmission when the car is warm, but the trade off is a rough transmission on cold starts and in colder climates.

Though I may have to decide against this because I live in Canada and it's about to get cold.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure what the OEM weight is but the lower number is cold viscosity and the higher is for operating temp. There may be a best of both option here but I haven't looked into it much

Edit: looks like 75w90 is oem, so there's definitely solutions out the that retain the 75w cold viscosity with a higher one for operating temp

ashiun

Ready to race!
I see. I'll talk to my mechanic about it. Thanks for the tips

ashiun

Ready to race!
My mechanic told me MK7 GTI's OEM gear oil is 75w80.

I changed it out to Fuchs straight 75w. Feels better thus far and surprisingly there appears to be less chatter, though that could be just because my previous gear oil had 65k km on it and was basically sludge.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Anyone remeber how many liters? Another important question haha.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Took about two and a half quarts to fill mine. But you fill till it overflows. Maybe closer to 2 and 3/4 quarts

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
I've always previously used redline shockproof in my previous manuals. This time around i used motul gear 300 75w90. Its definitely an improvement over the OEM fluid. The trans doesn't have that whine sound when decelerating in traffic.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The correct spec is 75w

Nothing more..not 75w80 not 75w90

I have spent the past couple of days pinning down this via several oil companies tech depts. & VWUK.

VW only spec the correct oil for these manual gearboxes in the MK7 via a part number which is G052512A2, & this applies to all the MK7 manual gearboxes.

They do not give out any "w" ratings or any of the older 501 etc specs...just a part number.

Fuchs state their 75w Titan fully synthetic is to the G052512A2 part number spec. This is what I will be using shortly.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I've always previously used redline shockproof in my previous manuals. This time around i used motul gear 300 75w90. Its definitely an improvement over the OEM fluid. The trans doesn't have that whine sound when decelerating in traffic.

That's a cool transfer pump, coulda save me a lot of cussing on past projects lol

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
That's a cool transfer pump, coulda save me a lot of cussing on past projects lol
Lol, harbor freight has them for about 7 bux plus tax each. I have 3 of them to avoid cross contamination. One for motor oil, another for gear oil and one more for ATF.

Makes life alot easier especially in places where you cant fit a bottle to gravity feed into the fill areas.

I'm thinking about buying another pump for doing the haldex fluid for the PP diff.