GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Shift Knob feels rough

Yungjean

Car(s)
2015 vw gti
I bought my manual mk7 gti used and I noticed that physically putting it into 1st gear sometimes can feel very rough and 1st to 2nd gear can also feel rough. I’m talking about the shift knob I’m not sure if it has anything to do with the clutch but someone recommended removing the clutch delay valve. I also heard it could be synchros but I’m not sure any help would be appreciated thank you

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That’s not clutch valve related.

try adjusting the shifter linkage first, the left to right movement made in you shifter from the car is very precise and needs to be pretty perfect so the adjuster is pushed in at the correct depth on the actually transmission, you saying it’s happening the most on the 1&2nd is a good inclination that the cable adjustment on the side-to-side arm could be off since 1st and 2nd share the same position when shifting.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
That’s not clutch valve related.

try adjusting the shifter linkage first, the left to right movement made in you shifter from the car is very precise and needs to be pretty perfect so the adjuster is pushed in at the correct depth on the actually transmission, you saying it’s happening the most on the 1&2nd is a good inclination that the cable adjustment on the side-to-side arm could be off since 1st and 2nd share the same position when shifting.

I have a little bit of play side to side. Think I’m going to give This a try just in case. I never did it after installing my shifter a few months ago. Is it possible for the side-to-side movement to get ‘worse’ over time? Sorry, I was going to start a thread and/or google it but this popped up first. And I’m lazy lol

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have a little bit of play side to side. Think I’m going to give This a try just in case. I never did it after installing my shifter a few months ago. Is it possible for the side-to-side movement to get ‘worse’ over time? Sorry, I was going to start a thread and/or google it but this popped up first. And I’m lazy lol
Yeah it does change with age. But if you’re just dealing with play and not the alignment and smoothness getting into and out of gear it won’t help that.

the side to side play in the level is from the factory design, you need to do the superpin mod to tighten that up.

and since getting the sigma 6 shifter and working on the alignment and testing it, I’ve realized that even down to the mm that side to side cable makes a difference.

tried it with the 3/16 drill bit first and that leave a lot of play... just order the Alignment pin from diesel geek.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Yeah it does change with age. But if you’re just dealing with play and not the alignment and smoothness getting into and out of gear it won’t help that.

the side to side play in the level is from the factory design, you need to do the superpin mod to tighten that up.

and since getting the sigma 6 shifter and working on the alignment and testing it, I’ve realized that even down to the mm that side to side cable makes a difference.

tried it with the 3/16 drill bit first and that leave a lot of play... just order the Alignment pin from diesel geek.
First time seeing the super pin mod. Thanks for the info. Not sure if I want to take my center console out though Lol It’s not that bad, but if I need something to complain about it is there. I installed the euro short shifter months ago and love it. Never really had any issues. I may just be finding things to pick at since it is coming up to a year in ownership lol

SirlinuX

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
First time seeing the super pin mod. Thanks for the info. Not sure if I want to take my center console out though Lol It’s not that bad, but if I need something to complain about it is there. I installed the euro short shifter months ago and love it. Never really had any issues. I may just be finding things to pick at since it is coming up to a year in ownership lol
I felt the same when installed my euro short shifter, found a video on how to align the shifter and after that is like butter. I used an alen key, I believe 4.5, as my alignment tool. U dont need to remove the whole center console. Just pop up the shifter plastic cover. There are couple videos on youtube. Take like 10 mins at the most. U will not regret.

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Yea, I may realign it. I have a plethora of Allen keys lying around the garage lol. Thanks for the vid!

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
By rough, it could also be your transmission fluid. Different brands bring different properties, especially in colder weather if shifting into 1st and 2nd is difficult.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
It’s the aforementioned alignment. Get a 20D nail from Home Depot and put a bend in it. Take out your airbox and remove the shifter boot. It’s all very easy and takes under 10 minutes. Try doing that before the superpin mod to see if that helps.

Last edited:

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
1st and 2nd are smooth sometimes and then there’s days where its notchy and takes effort to get it into gear. It’s annoying

You aint the only one with notchy/rough 1-2 gears. I got the OEM short shifter with Torque solution bushings. I also recalibrated the shifter but that was a few months ago. If only it was buttery smooth. I’ve also noticed that the shifter being so hallow that I feel everything in my hand when shifting it sucks.

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
1st and 2nd are smooth sometimes and then there’s days where its notchy and takes effort to get it into gear. It’s annoying

You aint the only one with notchy/rough 1-2 gears. I got the OEM short shifter with Torque solution bushings. I also recalibrated the shifter but that was a few months ago. If only it was buttery smooth. I’ve also noticed that the shifter being so hallow that I feel everything in my hand when shifting it sucks.
I did the delay valve, Torque Solutions bushings, bled the clutch, put a weighted shift knob and did the alignment all very recently and still have to kinda slam it in 2nd sometimes; Particularly if I’m not feathering the let off from 1st and depressing clutch ALL the way in. I have an Audi TT clutch so I don’t use the clutch stop anymore as it engages low already. This only happens when hauling ass from a take off, not town or distracted driving. It’s frustrating because it seems to accentuate turbo lag.

For me the alignment did the biggest change in making progress to make 1-2 buttery. I have a pretty good lead that in my case it’s the stock transmission and engine mounts allowing the drivetrain to slop back too far from a standstill, thus making we wait for the inertia to balance.