GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual parking brake button popped off

PhonzGTI

I know there are a few threads on this but no one ever mentioned what parts or assembly was required. I'm having a hard time tracking one down and the dealer won't fix my problem anymore without charging me a ton so I'd rather do it myself.

This is the second time it's happened and now I have to reach into the handle and grab the plunger manually to make it lock in place, and even then sometimes it loses its grip and disengages. Does anyone know the part number?

You mention that this is the second time this has happened and that the dealer won't fix "anymore." If they fixed it once and it broke again, you may have leverage.

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I'd be curious to see the rate at which this issue happens on DSG vs manual cars. This isn't the first time I've seen this happen.

I'm sure some DSG people don't actually use the parking brake (though not good practice), versus people with manual will always likely use the handbrake.

Just did a search and all the posts I've seen that reference this happening are from cars that are 6MT.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37751
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25442
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43238
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26479

Perhaps some DSG owners have some explaining to do on why they are not using their parking brake like they should...? :p

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
Perhaps some DSG owners have some explaining to do on why they are not using their parking brake like they should...? :p
DSG here, I use my parking brake literally every time I park the car ... although after seeing the effort and/or cost to replace such a seemingly-simple part, I may re-think that routine :eek: It's not as though I'm parking on steep hills here in N Texas.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
DSG here, I use my parking brake literally every time I park the car ... although after seeing the effort and/or cost to replace such a seemingly-simple part, I may re-think that routine :eek: It's not as though I'm parking on steep hills here in N Texas.

I always use my parking brake even if it's a flat surface. I noticed the GTI tends to lurch forward in P without the parking brake, even on flat surfaces.

Wagoon2.7TT

This just happened to me last night on my 2016 6MT. I can get the brake to sketchily engage by raising the lever with one hand and pulling up on the dowel piece with the other.

As someone noted, it appears that there is a microscopic plastic tab on the end of the dowel that slots in to the button and keeps the button and spring where they're supposed to be. This little tab is part of the brake assembly itself, and not an easily accessible/replaceable piece from what I can see. The tab is still there on mine, but it looks like it's sort-of broken to the point where there is no longer and tension to keep it properly engaged with the slot in the button.

I might take a gamble and just try to apply some glue to the parts of the dowel that come in to contact with the button while being careful to get any in the rest of the mechanism... The nearest VW dealer to me is over 80 miles away, so I would love to avoid that method.

Ray1340

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Having the same issue right now, the little tab is there but no it won't go back into the silver button. I'll call the dealer tomorrow, the car is under warranty, will they try to charge me anyway??? Will see.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Any updates with your experience? I just went to get my car inspected and they failed it because of this, I still haven't gotten it taken care of and just learned to pull the plastic dowel out with my other hand it lock it in place. I was quoted $950 this time and will be calling all over to get more pricing.

Tornado18GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 GTI MT 12 GLI
$950?! for what!? My local VW dealer charges $125 an hour... so that equals what 7 hours of labor? To fix a button on a parking brake? Thats insane. Pull that shit off yourself and upgrade that thing to a billet one from ECS. Good lord these dealers have some balls trying to charge that...

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
$950?! for what!? My local VW dealer charges $125 an hour... so that equals what 7 hours of labor? To fix a button on a parking brake? Thats insane. Pull that shit off yourself and upgrade that thing to a billet one from ECS. Good lord these dealers have some balls trying to charge that...

$165/hr and 4.4 hours of work. I may look into the upgraded one, is it also stronger or just looks better? Are there guides anywhere for replacing the entire assembly like what's required?

Tornado18GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 GTI MT 12 GLI
This should help:

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...Parking_Brake_Handle_Upgrade_Installation.pdf

Also, was just looking at that guide and looks like there is a little black locking tab piece in the actual handbrake itself (can see it on the bottom of page 8). If that's the piece that broke that may only come with the entire handbrake itself which would kind of suck though maybe you could rig something up. Looking at your button it looks like the button is okay, hard to tell but looks like the black clip that holds the button in may have broke.
$165/hr and 4.4 hours of work. I may look into the upgraded one, is it also stronger or just looks better? Are there guides anywhere for replacing the entire assembly like what's required?

It looks like those are pretty easy instructions to follow and pull that thing off... I mean again to pay even for 4.4 hours of work is absurd. Just looking at those instructions for that ECS one, what an hour max? Maybe a little longer if you have a tough time getting it apart? Man I'd take my chances screwing around and breaking something before I paid the dealer that kind of money. Just my 2 cents.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
It looks like those are pretty easy instructions to follow and pull that thing off... I mean again to pay even for 4.4 hours of work is absurd. Just looking at those instructions for that ECS one, what an hour max? Maybe a little longer if you have a tough time getting it apart? Man I'd take my chances screwing around and breaking something before I paid the dealer that kind of money. Just my 2 cents.

Totally forgot that was posted here... My problem is the part that's inside the handle is broken, it's not just replaced the handle, but the plastic part inside that keeps the button on is broken. It doesn't look like the ECS does anything with that, I need the whole inside replaced as well.

Tornado18GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 GTI MT 12 GLI
Totally forgot that was posted here... My problem is the part that's inside the handle is broken, it's not just replaced the handle, but the plastic part inside that keeps the button on is broken. It doesn't look like the ECS does anything with that, I need the whole inside replaced as well.

Looks like that link the whole assembly can be had for $89. Another option rather than $950. Hell even if you got the whole assembly and got the ECS one it's still cheaper than the stealership.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Yeah, I would rather just buy the assembly and do it myself. Problem is I can't find actual instructions for replacing this, just adjusting the parking brake cables. Maybe if I get in there it would make sense but I don't like diving into things without knowing exactly what I'm doing.