GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual parking brake button popped off

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
I know there are a few threads on this but no one ever mentioned what parts or assembly was required. I'm having a hard time tracking one down and the dealer won't fix my problem anymore without charging me a ton so I'd rather do it myself.

This is the second time it's happened and now I have to reach into the handle and grab the plunger manually to make it lock in place, and even then sometimes it loses its grip and disengages. Does anyone know the part number?

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
How is that happened? Just curious, since I have manual as well.

It just did one day. I'm not rough on it or anything, I just went to pull it up and the button flew off.

I wish I could find a guide on how to do this, I can't find anything online. Everyone just says the dealership fixed it for them.

ImMrMeeseeks

Ready to race!
It just did one day. I'm not rough on it or anything, I just went to pull it up and the button flew off.

I wish I could find a guide on how to do this, I can't find anything online. Everyone just says the dealership fixed it for them.
Have you tried a different dealer then?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Have you tried a different dealer then?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I'm not taking it to a dealership who will charge me an exorbitant fee for something I could do myself with any type of guide.

Last edited:

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I'm not taking it to a dealhip who will charge me an exorbitant fee for something I could do myself with any type of guide.

This should help:

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...Parking_Brake_Handle_Upgrade_Installation.pdf

Also, was just looking at that guide and looks like there is a little black locking tab piece in the actual handbrake itself (can see it on the bottom of page 8). If that's the piece that broke that may only come with the entire handbrake itself which would kind of suck though maybe you could rig something up. Looking at your button it looks like the button is okay, hard to tell but looks like the black clip that holds the button in may have broke.

Last edited:

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
This should help:

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...Parking_Brake_Handle_Upgrade_Installation.pdf

Also, was just looking at that guide and looks like there is a little black locking tab piece in the actual handbrake itself (can see it on the bottom of page 8). If that's the piece that broke that may only come with the entire handbrake itself which would kind of suck though maybe you could rig something up. Looking at your button it looks like the button is okay, hard to tell but looks like the black clip that holds the button in may have broke.

I don't have this issue - but I'm definitely filing that link away for future reference!

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Just got a quote from the dealer, $175 for parts and $500 for labor. What in the actual hell, that's a total joke and also a joke stupid shit like this that keeps happening isn't covered under the 6 year warranty.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Just got a quote from the dealer, $175 for parts and $500 for labor. What in the actual hell, that's a total joke and also a joke stupid shit like this that keeps happening isn't covered under the 6 year warranty.

Its time to talk to another dealer.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Its time to talk to another dealer.

Just emailed the one I usually go to, but I don't see how it will be drastically different dealership to dealership. I just think it should be covered, or there should be a TSB on it, there are a lot of people with the issue and it's happened twice to me now.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Just emailed the one I usually go to, but I don't see how it will be drastically different dealership to dealership.

At times, few dealerships handle warranty claims way better than the other ones. My service guy was the only reason why i drove 40 mns from home passing two other VW dealers on the way.