GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual or DSG for strength

Mattnick

Car(s)
Golf GTD
Hi guys, im about to purchase a GTD and im torn between the DSG and the manual. I know the pros and cons to both, but was curious as to which one is the strongest.

Im tempted to have it remapped straight away, nothing too strenuous (between 210 and 220BHP will be fine as i understand these are the common figures when referred to a stage 1 map)

Which gear box and clutch would be most likely to take this extra power along with the increased torque?

Sorry if this has already been covered before.

In addition, can anyone tell me how much a 4th service costs approx? the golf im looking at currently is 6 months behind on its service and it happens to be the dreaded 4th service.

Kindest regards, Matt :)

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
DSG can handle huge amounts of extra power.

The Manual might hold stage 1 power, but depending on your driving style it, might not.

Last edited:

Mattnick

Car(s)
Golf GTD

The Manual might hold stage 1 power, but depending on your driving style it might not.
That's fair enough.. i was looking more down the line for a manual but may rethink it now and look at the DSG.. i did drive a DSG one the other day and was fairly impressed with the gear changes, mainly the speed of the changes. only thing i did notice was when using the paddles to change it didn't seem instant, seemed to be a slight lag between the changes. but not to much of an issue. only other thing that played on my mind was that the DSG is slightly worse on fuel and also more to tax. but i will still be saving on fuel compared to my current car which is the main aim and so DSG may not be that bad of a shout :)

Mattnick

Car(s)
Golf GTD
Thanks coniglio, good write up regarding the DSG transmission.

Going from what JC_451 said about the DSG being able to take more power than the manual etc, Has anyone had their GTD mapped to between 210/220 BHP with a manual gearbox and so had any issues or points they can add to my query?

Thanks all :)

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

The Manual might hold stage 1 power, but depending on your driving style it, might not.
Diesel clutches are not the same as the gas ones from factory. I had a stage 2 TDi on a stock clutch (same pwoer levels of torque as stage 2 gti), without any problems.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I haven't heard of the manual transmission exploding from power - it's usually just the clutch slipping, right? Just replace the clutch and enjoy driving a manual.

If you're talking shifting speed, can't beat the DSG.

Heathy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
I'd like to know if anyone has had a manual GTD remapped with stock clutch as I have been toying with the idea ever since I bought it 3.5 years ago but a one off clutch issue out the blue in 2019 made me hold off, it was like the clutch slipped and stuck to the floor of the car. Towed it to the garage and they said it was fine and it's been fine ever since so now thinking of the remap at some point again but now done about 25k miles since then and now at 80k so bit paranoid about the clutch under more power.

Haven't even driven a DSG GTD but my manual is great really, gear changes are smooth, anyone who's driven it likes the feel of it. I drove a DSG R briefly which was nice to drive but guess it depends on your driving style. I drive more like Lewis Hamilton so you can really throw the manual about when you want to. I always find Automatics more chilled, in the city at least, but on the motorway or country roads they are nice and smooth, but saying that I do lots of motorway driving too and the manual is great at that, once your in 6th gear you can plough through.

If you can do I'd go and test drive both and see which you like and try them in city and on a faster road and then think which one would suit your driving style and the type of driving you do most.

Datboireal

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTD
I'd like to know if anyone has had a manual GTD remapped with stock clutch as I have been toying with the idea ever since I bought it 3.5 years ago but a one off clutch issue out the blue in 2019 made me hold off, it was like the clutch slipped and stuck to the floor of the car. Towed it to the garage and they said it was fine and it's been fine ever since so now thinking of the remap at some point again but now done about 25k miles since then and now at 80k so bit paranoid about the clutch under more power.

Haven't even driven a DSG GTD but my manual is great really, gear changes are smooth, anyone who's driven it likes the feel of it. I drove a DSG R briefly which was nice to drive but guess it depends on your driving style. I drive more like Lewis Hamilton so you can really throw the manual about when you want to. I always find Automatics more chilled, in the city at least, but on the motorway or country roads they are nice and smooth, but saying that I do lots of motorway driving too and the manual is great at that, once your in 6th gear you can plough through.

If you can do I'd go and test drive both and see which you like and try them in city and on a faster road and then think which one would suit your driving style and the type of driving you do most.
I've got a 64 plate manual GTD remapped to stage 1. I've had the map on for about 12k miles and also installed a racechips xlr pedal box for the last 2k miles. I brought the car with 19k miles on the clock and I got the remap at 72k miles and I haven't had any clutch slip or issues. I don't really do any racey starts or drive like a nutter. Just a bit of spirited driving and i appreciate the extra power in gear on country roads and motorways.
Hope this helps answer the queries you have. For one I'm glad I've added these mods as its brought the car to life.

Last edited:

Heathy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
I've got a 64 plate manual GTD remapped to stage 1. I've had the map on for about 12k miles and also installed a racechips xlr pedal box for the last 2k miles. I brought the car with 19k miles on the clock and I got the remap at 72k miles and I haven't had any clutch slip or issues. I don't really do any racey starts or drive like a nutter. Just a bit of spirited driving and i appreciate the extra power in gear on country roads and motorways.
Hope this helps answer the queries you have. For one I'm glad I've added these mods as its brought the car to life.
Cheers, I reckon I will get it done eventually