GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual mode turns off automatically while in D and upshifts

GTI RobG

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
I went out for a nice drive and was using manual shifting while in D and it would just switch off automatically after about 20-30 seconds. I tried it multiple times and tried turning it on and off in different gears. No matter the RPM it would just go back to D and upshift. When I moved the gear selector to the left, this did not happen however. I have never noticed this happening before.

It’s a 2018 SE, EQT stage 1 ECU and TCU tune, Cobb launch and traction control. Not sure if this makes any difference. It’s been tuned since November and no issues.

No lights and no codes, scanned it with my OBDEleven when I got home.

Has anyone else had this happen?

GTI RobG

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
But how long should it take before it switches off? Mine switched off today after 8 seconds and does it make any difference what gear and rpm you are at?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
~8 seconds sounds about right for what I the transmission does on my TSI at least. Quick little tip, you can actually flick back on the gear selector (like you were going into sport mode) to preemptively swap back to automatic control of the gearbox without having to wait for the automatic changeover.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
But how long should it take before it switches off? Mine switched off today after 8 seconds and does it make any difference what gear and rpm you are at?
It's some algorithm that probably takes into account throttle position, current speed, time since last manual shift, etc. and, once the parameters to revert to automatic control are met, it does so. It does seem to take different amounts of time here and there so I can only guess it's just using different mappings to decide what to do and when.

I'll be in auto mode and at some speed in some gear and I notice the RPMs holding steady at some stupid number like 3000 or so and I'm thinking "Uh, shift? Shift now? Uh, now?" and I'll just flick the right paddle and it shifts up. Then, 8-10 seconds later the damned thing downshifts. So I'm in some sweet spot where it's not yet ready to upshift even though I am and, once I do, it's in another sweet spot where it is not satisfied and decides to downshift when I don't want to.

It can be a bit annoying but that's programming for you.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
That sounds awful.
It's #&(@%^ annoying. Been driving a stick my whole life and was in whatever gear I wanted to be in and when I wanted to. The DSG is not bad but it's also not great either. So I cope with it as best as I can. Still miss the C6 Corvette.....

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Just push the shifter to the right and you dont have to worry about it....

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Any easy way to disable Auto Up-Shift and Kick-Down? I know it's an option in the EQT DSG tune.