GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Golf R - Top Row Gears are Popping out

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
I have a stage 3 Southbend Daily clutch and it's been ok for 4 months or so but just recently Im having issues where the top row of gears (R,1,3) are popping out and making a horrible grinding noise. I assume I just have to do a shifter alignment or is it possible it's something worse?

How bad is it to drive like this? I can get going in first by holding the stick in place with my hand and taking off as gently as possible but even then it grinds a bit.

Oh and good thing my shifter locking pin is broken...

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie
Personally never. I assume the shop would have when installing the aftermarket clutch?
I doubt it. I've never paid a shop for a clutch job (DIY 4 lyfe!🙃), but replacing a clutch doesn't involve the transmission gear oil at all.

When does the transmission grind? Only when you're going into/out of gear, or just all the time when you're driving and in those gears?
You could try changing the gear oil, but if it's grinding and you still have oil in the trans - I would lean more towards it being something serious and bad (synchronizers, shift collars, etc).