GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Gearbox Launches with stock car

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
could you explain a little further what you mean?

Say, keeps the revs bouncing between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm and then you start to slip as the revs are going towards 5k. Car and Driver said they did this but ascending to 6k rpm and got .2 with a DSG from the 1/4 mile.

wow! i didnt know you could do that in a manual!
Yep, here is a video of my car using United Motorsport's software:

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
Maybe this will help you:

Basically, like the guy in the video concludes, you need to launch "gently" ...

Rev to around 2,500-3000 rpm, then drop the clutch fast to the bite point, ride it there for a fraction of a second.. let it roll slightly, once you are moving, drop the clutch and floor it....

If you just dump the clutch, it might not bog, but it will be rough... especially with a less aggressive low-end on the stock tune...
that video was interesting. he start off at lower revs than where the limiter would be. and he also says its better to launch it slowly. what do you think he means by that?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
that video was interesting. he start off at lower revs than where the limiter would be. and he also says its better to launch it slowly. what do you think he means by that?

As you could see from his times he got the best times not using launch control. When he had the revs up at launch he was getting front wheel hop slowing his times.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
You can't drop the clutch to launch the car, as stated earlier, you have to slip the clutch in.

Also, start saving up for a new clutch, since the clutch slips are not exactly good on the clutch wear aspect.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT

He had no launch control / limiter, its a normal 6spd with APR stage 2...

The launch would be pretty much the same in a stock tune, the tune only gives you a little more power in the low-end...

... I explained on the original post:

Basically, like the guy in the video concludes, you need to launch "gently" ...

Rev to around 2,500-3000 rpm, then drop the clutch fast to the bite point, ride it there (on the bite point) for a fraction of a second.. let it roll slightly, once you are moving (its only a fraction of a second), drop the clutch and floor it....

If you just dump the clutch, it might not bog, but it will be rough... especially with a less aggressive low-end on the stock tune...

You just need to practice... its better that you ride the clutch's bite point the least as possible first and then get more aggressive with the transition... be very careful, you could easily kill a clutch.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I have UM's launch control but I've had success without using their launch control. You need to bounce the revs and catch them as they are ascending. You will also need so slip the clutch a bit. Practice but I think in the care is going to have to be around 4500 or above.

Many factors though as it's a skill you have to master. Ground surface, tires and what clutch you have all play a factor.

Actually, I am pretty sure this is the best way because it builds a bit of boost, gets the turbo spinning and ready to go. I don't think I let it go past 3,000 RPM though and I started the launch as if the car was idle during the drop if I remember correctly.

I found this by accident too. My wife was out with her mom who was visiting, shopping for furniture, and I pulled up beside her coming home from the grocery store. She started revving her engine like she wanted to race to annoy her mom, so I gave in. When I launched, it took off like a bat out of hell (maybe not the best saying during COVID), and left me shaking out of shock. Her mom even commented how ridiculously fast the car took off which was just as shocking.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Actually, I am pretty sure this is the best way because it builds a bit of boost, gets the turbo spinning and ready to go. I don't think I let it go past 3,000 RPM though and I started the launch as if the car was idle during the drop if I remember correctly.

I found this by accident too. My wife was out with her mom who was visiting, shopping for furniture, and I pulled up beside her coming home from the grocery store. She started revving her engine like she wanted to race to annoy her mom, so I gave in. When I launched, it took off like a bat out of hell (maybe not the best saying during COVID), and left me shaking out of shock. Her mom even commented how ridiculously fast the car took off which was just as shocking.

Cool family.