GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Gearbox Launches with stock car

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
Hi, I am interested in learning how to safely and properly launch my 2016 golf R manual. I would like to hear any advice/experience from you all. Is this safe for the car? Is there a proper way to do it? any suggestions or preferences on launch rpms? etc.

I notice that the rev limiter kicks in around 3800 rpm and this can be deactivated by deactivating the tcs and esc. is 3800 the recommended launch mark?

I also have a clutch pedal bumper installed under the clutch pedal to reduce the amount of "dead space" in the pedal's travel.

Thanks!

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
You won't be able too no matter at what rpm you launch. You have to ride the clutch out and not release too aggressive otherwise the motor would just bog.

The only way to actually enable launch control is through a tune, Cobb, Eurodyne Maestro or United Motorsports.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, 1st gear is too tall on these cars. For me, I usually engage 1st gear only a tad more aggressive than usual and mash the gas once the car starts rolling and outside the bogging range.

...but my Golf-R is my weekend GT car so I only drive briskly mostly. I have AP on my car but haven't played with launch control nor FFS.

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
You won't be able too no matter at what rpm you launch. You have to ride the clutch out and not release too aggressive otherwise the motor would just bog.

The only way to actually enable launch control is through a tune, Cobb, Eurodyne Maestro or United Motorsports.
i dont have launch control because i dont have an automatic
but i do see what you're saying
the stock stuff is just too loose, right?

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
Yeah, 1st gear is too tall on these cars. For me, I usually engage 1st gear only a tad more aggressive than usual and mash the gas once the car starts rolling and outside the bogging range.

...but my Golf-R is my weekend GT car so I only drive briskly mostly. I have AP on my car but haven't played with launch control nor FFS.
I feel like 1st is over so fast, i may as well just wait for second haha

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, funny you mention that because when I get into my FiST I forget the thing is FWD (with major torque steer) and I floor that thing it has a nice torque band but wheel spins and I'm bouncing off the rev-limiter so I end up just shifting into 2nd after the first bounce. It's not at the ideal RPM in 2nd due to the fuel-cut, but it's going to spin its wheels again so might as well just wait for 2nd to build speed.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Hi, I am interested in learning how to safely and properly launch my 2016 golf R manual. I would like to hear any advice/experience from you all. Is this safe for the car? Is there a proper way to do it? any suggestions or preferences on launch rpms? etc.

I notice that the rev limiter kicks in around 3800 rpm and this can be deactivated by deactivating the tcs and esc. is 3800 the recommended launch mark?

I also have a clutch pedal bumper installed under the clutch pedal to reduce the amount of "dead space" in the pedal's travel.

Thanks!

I have UM's launch control but I've had success without using their launch control. You need to bounce the revs and catch them as they are ascending. You will also need so slip the clutch a bit. Practice but I think in the care is going to have to be around 4500 or above.

Many factors though as it's a skill you have to master. Ground surface, tires and what clutch you have all play a factor.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Yeah, 1st gear is too tall on these cars.

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
Yeah, funny you mention that because when I get into my FiST I forget the thing is FWD (with major torque steer) and I floor that thing it has a nice torque band but wheel spins and I'm bouncing off the rev-limiter so I end up just shifting into 2nd after the first bounce. It's not at the ideal RPM in 2nd due to the fuel-cut, but it's going to spin its wheels again so might as well just wait for 2nd to build speed.
[/QUOTE

right, i feel like i spend the same time shifting out of first and lurching around when i could have just let 2nd spool

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
I have UM's launch control but I've had success without using their launch control. You need to bounce the revs and catch them as they are ascending. You will also need so slip the clutch a bit. Practice but I think in the care is going to have to be around 4500 or above.

Many factors though as it's a skill you have to master. Ground surface, tires and what clutch you have all play a factor.

could you explain a little further what you mean?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Don't you mean 1st gear is too short?

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
you said "enable launch control"
what do you mean?
i thought launch control was only something automatic cars do?
or is there a tune that creates a manual version of launch control?

Correct, there are tunes that enable LC (for manual) and FFS (flat foot shifting / no lift shift (nls) ) , which is what I said in my original message.. Cobb, Eurodyne Maestro and Uniter Motorsports.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Maybe this will help you:

Basically, like the guy in the video concludes, you need to launch "gently" ...

Rev to around 2,500-3000 rpm, then drop the clutch fast to the bite point, ride it there for a fraction of a second.. let it roll slightly, once you are moving, drop the clutch and floor it....

If you just dump the clutch, it might not bog, but it will be rough... especially with a less aggressive low-end on the stock tune...