GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual clutch feel

sezmo

Passed Driver's Ed
What do people think of the standard manual clutch?
Even after 25,000km I still find the uptake very abrupt and quite high.
I struggle to shift smoothly in traffic unless I concentrate extremely hard and it feels like I'm being thumped in the back on every gear change when my partner drives it.

I still love manual though!!

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
+1 to this, give it some gas :)

Roop

I have a Manual MK5 Golf R32 with exactly the same problem. Annoying to the point of wanting to change it. Was looking to move to a mk7 GTI or R! Might go DSG now though!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I think it's just a matter of growing with it. Launching it is bit tricky, but I'll get it one day.

I've had all kinds of clutch feels from my RX-7 FC to Bullitt Mustang to Mazda 3 and Mk5 Rabbit. All were different. But every single one was a joy to drive.

sezmo

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't rev hard in traffic though! As you say it's a joy on the open road. I used to have a 1.4 tsi and a clutch bite halfway between this and the gti would be perfect

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I agree, friction point is bit early in the travel to what I'm used to and it causes me to bog slightly at launch. While waiting for an opening during a yield situation, I've almost stalled on a few occasions coz I'm too short/too far from my pedals while looking towards the back half of my side lol. I've moved my seat closer since...

I believe you can adjust friction point. Unsure how.