GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manifold boost tap plug?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A while back, I tapped the unused vacuum port on the manifold to install an APR boost tap for my P3 gauge. I got rid of the gauge some time ago, and left on the boost tap but capped it with the rubber vacuum cap it comes with. The tip of that rubber cap deteriorated and came off, causing a vacuum leak. I'd like to find a more permeant solution for capping off that port once and for all, but for whatever reason I can't find anything.

I found this tap which has little screws it can be plugged with, but are there any options for just a cap cap?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Man I’ve no idea where that location is. But I’m going to assume you’ll just want a new or used manifold that isn’t tapped.

I dunno anything about that one u linked. But it looks plastic.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Man I’ve no idea where that location is. But I’m going to assume you’ll just want a new or used manifold that isn’t tapped.

I dunno anything about that one u linked. But it looks plastic.

So the intake manifold has an unused vacuum port. Location is here:

1620009693677.png

I had bought an APR boost tap, which comes with a little metal punch tool. You warm up the engine, stick it in the hole, and give it a smack with a hammer to open it up. Then you can install the boost tap, and run a line for an analog boost gauge.

1620010062132.png

That circled plastic piece is a little rubber cap you can stick over the outlet of the boost tap to cap it off when done, which I did. But after a while, it deteriorated and broke. So now I'm looking for something more permeant. But not as permeant as going through the trouble of replacing the entire manifold lol.

The one I linked is another boost tap, but a bit differently built. It's a metal piece, and has screw holes you can screw the tap adapters into. Or, a set screw if you're not using the port. So a metal screw with some Loctite would be a bit more secure than a little rubber cap.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
So the intake manifold has an unused vacuum port. Location is here:

View attachment 212299

I had bought an APR boost tap, which comes with a little metal punch tool. You warm up the engine, stick it in the hole, and give it a smack with a hammer to open it up. Then you can install the boost tap, and run a line for an analog boost gauge.

View attachment 212305

That circled plastic piece is a little rubber cap you can stick over the outlet of the boost tap to cap it off when done, which I did. But after a while, it deteriorated and broke. So now I'm looking for something more permeant. But not as permeant as going through the trouble of replacing the entire manifold lol.

The one I linked is another boost tap, but a bit differently built. It's a metal piece, and has screw holes you can screw the tap adapters into. Or, a set screw if you're not using the port. So a metal screw with some Loctite would be a bit more secure than a little rubber cap.
I’d try the one u linked. Drench it in soapy water while someone revs the car a bit, monthly. Till you feel assured that the solution is permanent

otherwise, you’ll have to swap it

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
But I would still recommend using this to plug it, it’s been mated to my apr tap and hasn’t leaked. Lol

https://www.maperformance.com/produ...FWNRpjb0i52zp8a0G-LtmKKpgefsov7BoCgvQQAvD_BwE

300px-My_Goodness_What_an_Idea.jpg

This kind will at least not deteriorate anytime soon.

HPS 1/4" (6.5mm) Black High Temperature 3-ply Reinforced Silicone Coolant Cap Bypass Heater, 1-1/2" Length, 350F Max. Temp, 4mm Wall Thickness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083QJYCZZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_S2VF913MFAZEY9BRYHED

Good suggestion, that and a clamp should solve the problem.