GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Major Oil Leak. Need help.

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
This morning after my wife drove away I noticed the large puddle of oil where the car had been parked. Fortunately, she didn’t drive far or hard. I met her and added over 2 quarts of oil to the car and drove home. No trouble codes were displayed which seems odd considering how much oil I added. I'm pretty sure the engine dumped the oil this morning on a cold start. I had driven it (lightly) last night and it was fine then.

oilleak1.jpg

With the car running I don't see anything visibly leaking. From the spray pattern it appears to be coming out under pressure. Is anyone aware of connection points or sensors in this area that are subject leaking?

oilleak2.jpg

Thank you

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Clean it all up, degreaser and the likes. Put the car up and turn it on, look for the source. You could even add some UV dye.

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, the cap was tight and it does not appear to be coming from the filter housing area. Here's a pick of the engine. Does this help?

oilleak3.jpg

LVE2DRV

Passed Driver's Ed
Oddly enough I have a same leak where the idler pulley is... from the same area as you but don't know whats there or what caused it

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
I found the leak...seems like the o-ring or filter housing failed. That is a stream of oil shooting out from the base of the filter. Fortunately this is an easy and cheap repair.

oilleak5.jpg

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
I changed the oil back back in May. One odd thing I noticed with my cap is that it has a groove molded into it. The failure must be with the o-ring since that is the only thing that seals the cap. The oil never should have reached the groove.
oilleak6.jpg