GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I installed one of these IC's about a year ago, and as advertised it required some modification, but it performs extremely well. However, the one I have is 65 mm thick and that has caused some problems. Being so thick it pushes the radiator extremely close to the engine, a few months after install one of the coolant hoses was cut by rubbing against a plastic fin on the stock air box. I replaced th ehose and trimmed the fins. When I installed it I did slide the assembly as far forward as possible but still...
I also noticed that if I ever wanted to drain the radiator, the lower right side is so close to the engine now it cannot be removed without moving the entire radiator/IC assembly :(. Now after a year and over 15,000 miles of trouble free operation I just got another low coolant warning while out and about. After investigating I discovered one of the right side auxiliary radiator hoses has been cut by the alternator pulley :(.
That hose can be repositioned had I known it would be an issue, it is not touching but is about 1 cm away, so I imagine with engine movement it has been intermittent making contact and...
The IC I have is 65 mm thick, I just happened to look on Ebay and noticed the current Magic IC for this car shows it is 50 mm thick. I am tempted to buy this new thinner version, this older one does fit, but just barely. Long term this tight fit can cause issues, not to mention if you ever have to service the cooling system, good luck.
So my feed back is if you have this thicker IC like mine, you might want to reposition that hose that runs past the alternator pulley. Also if you are looking to install one of these, do yourself a favor and get one of these 50 mm thick IC's, 65-70 mm is just to thick to work well in this application. It works but... I can only imagine folks that shelled out a lot more for that Wagner IC are in a the same boat, I believe that one is 70 mm thick.
I imagine this has been discussed already somewhere in the massive thread but figured I would add my two cents. Looking at this thing I cannot see any good way to improve clearance with this thick IC, not without some serious fabrication work, but if anyone come up with something please let me know. I am thinking I may just need to bite the bullet and swap it with one of these new thinner IC's. I highly doubt I will notice a difference in performance and coolant system leaks are not fun.
Stock dogbone/never removed dogbone bolt?

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
I've been using the oem hoses on the IC and never had any issues. I've been running this IC for over 2 years now 😎🤘
To be fair I had an issue getting one on and I knew if there was a hose problem, it'd be that one. Surprise, it was. I spent a little more time getting it on properly and tightened it down more than I was able to before, I highly doubt it's going anywhere now. If it does, I'll just go back to the OEM hoses.
Stock dogbone/never removed dogbone bolt?
I'm not sure how thick the one I ordered is, but everything LOOKS to clear. I installed the IC and then before taking it off of the jack stands put the BFI stage 1 insert in at the same time. Anything I should know about that combo? It seems to run fine, my only concern has been clearance and making sure nothing is rubbing against something else, but it's too soon to tell now I think.

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
If you didn't get the dogbone bolt back into the upper it could be sitting in front of the threaded portion, pushing the whole motor forwards towards the core. Something to look into considering it was fine then rubbed a hole in the radiator. Seen this like 5 times now.

I will check that thanks. I have the Spullen insert and torqued all three bolts the last time I removed them. Would that be possible if I missed the holes?

Anyway this is what I ended up doing:
IC mount mod 1.jpg

IC mount mod 2.jpg

IC mount mod 3.jpg

IC mount mod 4.jpg

IC mount mod 6.jpg

I was a bit concerned that moving this forward would cause fitment issues with the bumper cover but it didn't seem to be an issue at all. The only thing I noticed was the bottom plastic tray screw holes were off by that 5-6 mm, but I just pulled on it (soft plastic) and screwed it in, not an issue. I am much more comfortable having that little bit extra clearance space. I am reasonably sure it will be fine now, but it is tight. No chance of upgrading the radiator with this IC, luckily the car does not seem to need it so...
I probably won't bother to swap it, but if I were to do it again, I still say i would go for the 50 mm version.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Getting hotter down here. Still monitoring temps?
This is my first post to this forum, so hello! I'm new to the MK7 GTi platform but just recently got a 17 GTi. In the last month I have upgraded a few things, one being the intercooler. I read through this thread multiple times from start to finish before purchasing an intercooler.

I ended up purchasing the Deepmotor Intercooler and wanted to post my findings.

Package came in quick. Was packaged extremely well for the price point. It had hard foam inserts on both sides of the intercooler that were cut out specifically for it. I doubt the intercooler could have moved much if any in transit because of how it was packaged. The pipe going in and out both had blue plastic caps on them to keep out debris. I blew out the intercooler but didn't see anything come out and was clean from the get go.

This intercooler is a tube and fin design, not a bar and plate. It does have a partition in the intake side to direct air to different portions of the intercooler. It came with the intercooler, hoses, and hose clamps.

I was worried about fitment after reading all the horror stories from others. To my amazement pretty much everything fit as it should. Didn't have to trim anything. The hoses are the correct size and a tight fit. The hose clamps however fit over the hoses fine before installing them. However, once they were over the pipes the included clamps were just big enough to wrestle with them to get them to work. In reality both sets of hose clamps could have been a good bit larger and still worked perfectly fine. Since they were so small it ended up taking more time to get the 4 hose clamps on and secure then it did actually installing the new intercooler in its bracket with the radiator and condenser.

The other slight issue I ran into is that the hose on the driver's side could have been about an inch longer. I was not able to push the hose down flush to both pipes before tightening them down. The pipes are ribbed so I was able to tighten the hoses down no problem. Just would have made me feel better to have had them pushed all the way down.

I paid $260 shipped and have been using it for a couple weeks now. No issues, no leaks, nothing bad to say at all.

At first I thought it wasn't cooling very well but then I realized with the A/C on and running with these cars that all you're doing is pulling tons of hot air from the condenser into the intercooler. Without the A/C on and ambient temps around 85F I'm seeing:

3rd gear pulls
2500 rpm when I start around 98F IAT
Drops to about 95F by 4000 rpm
Drops to 93F by 5000 rpm and holds to 6500 rpm

I have a JB4 and am running map 6 with a peak boost around 23 psi and tapering down to 17 psi for reference.

Being that the intercooler is huge it definitely has a lot of heat soak but cools down quickly. With the A/C running for a while before the pull I'd see around 115-120F to start and would drop to about 105F during the pull with the same ambient temp to start.

I've paid a heck of a lot more for a lot less with previous vehicles. IMO you can't beat if for the money. Is it the best out there, nope. Does it work for everything I'll need it for, yep. Packaging was better than expected, quality was better than expected, fitment was better than expected, and performance was better than expected.

Hope this helps someone looking at them!

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
Did anyone buy the bar and plate option? Seems it would be the better option for minimal cost
Yes, lots of us have the bar and plate version, it works great. Bar and plate is supposed to be better for flow, cooling, and durability. As I understand it most manufacturers use tube and fin for the same reason they use plastic end caps, because they are cheaper and lighter, but not necessarily better at air flow/reducing pressure drop or IAT. However, as big as these units are, I doubt it matters much, they should all work extremely well and be significantly better than the stock unit. Accept weight of course, they do add a lot of weight way out in front, exactly where you don't want it, but what can you do?

Leathersword

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
At the risk of continuing to beat a dead horse, has anyone tried the 51mm thick majesty intercooler? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tube-Inter...Golf-GTI-MK7-EA888-1-8T-2-0T-TSI/202760604976
I have been through this entire thread at least once and there is mostly talk of the 65mm intercooler. The 51 appears to be tube and fin and I am wondering if that combined with the reduced thickness impacts temperatures enough to make a difference. I am trying to avoid the issues of the thicker cooler pushing everything closer to the engine and causing problems.
If no one has tried this one out, I am thinking of doing it myself and reporting back, for science. Thoughts?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Anyone try running the MAGIC/CSK intercooler with the CSF radiator?