j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Probably will not fit, it’s very tight.

bradbusa

Car(s)
17 gti
Hey guys, first post here. Recently joined the GTI fam and am looking to upgrade the intercooler on my car. I've read quite a bit on several threads about the stock replacement intercoolers, the front mount, and the twin intercooler setups.. So this thread is roughly 4 years old now.. is the stock replacement still considered the best one of the 3 versions? I'm not really concerned about difficulty of install but want to make sure i go for the right one. I have a 17 gti with DSG
I'm seeing so many options on ebay, and after 98 pages it's hard to keep up with. Which one is the best? Magic? Majesty? i'm not sure how to determine i'm getting the right one

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Hey guys, first post here. Recently joined the GTI fam and am looking to upgrade the intercooler on my car. I've read quite a bit on several threads about the stock replacement intercoolers, the front mount, and the twin intercooler setups.. So this thread is roughly 4 years old now.. is the stock replacement still considered the best one of the 3 versions? I'm not really concerned about difficulty of install but want to make sure i go for the right one. I have a 17 gti with DSG
I'm seeing so many options on ebay, and after 98 pages it's hard to keep up with. Which one is the best? Magic? Majesty? i'm not sure how to determine i'm getting the right one

Thanks,
Brad
With the lack of discounts on eBay now, I would prefer to get a proper intercooler from IE for example. Also MAGIC = Majesty.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

Thanks,
Brad
I hear the do88 is best as far as OEM location, but spendy. I'm stage 1 with the ebay Twintercooler setup, but you'll run into fitment issues if you have the forward-facing radar unit in your bumper grille. If you have that, do88 seems to be the route most folks like, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Do note that if you do the ebay 'twintercooler' route, you'll need some additional bits of hose to step from the factory FMIC inlet/outlet to the larger hoses used by the twintercooler, and likely need to bend some brackets out of the way to make it fit.

bradbusa

Car(s)
17 gti
I hear the do88 is best as far as OEM location, but spendy. I'm stage 1 with the ebay Twintercooler setup, but you'll run into fitment issues if you have the forward-facing radar unit in your bumper grille. If you have that, do88 seems to be the route most folks like, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Do note that if you do the ebay 'twintercooler' route, you'll need some additional bits of hose to step from the factory FMIC inlet/outlet to the larger hoses used by the twintercooler, and likely need to bend some brackets out of the way to make it fit.
Thanks for the reply guys. I would love to just order a do88 intercooler and forget about it, however I can't seem to justify the cost when it seems like some ebay options might perform as well or close to the same for less than half the price. :-/ It seems like a lot of members here have been running them for several years at this point with virtually no problems aside from having to massage them into place.
Mine is an SE w/ dsg. So no ACC sensors or anything behind the bumper, and the car is a daily driver located in southwest Florida. I dont need the absolute very best, just looking for an improvement in cooling to beat the summer heat, and complement the eqt stage 1 tune

Concerning the ebay products, does any one perform better than the other? (stock location, twintercooler, or front mount only)

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
The majesty delivers the same results as IEs. It is a quality unit without a name brand attached. A lot of people think it’s the same factory that manufactures wagners units. You will not see an issue with the stock turbo.

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
still running the Majest IC on my TPC38, running as cool as it can with almost no lag. 100% recommend. Just make sure you get new clips and a little modification required, just make sure you have a small file.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
For those interested, this is probably the best deal out there anywhere right now on a Magic/Majesty version. I matched dimension specs exactly, many other AliExpress ones are only 2" and not 2.5" thick like this/Majesty. They also claim a pretty speedy shipping time (2 weeks) and is $344 total including hoses. Honestly, if there were only a few left I wouldn't even share since I'm gonna order one, but there are 100+ available. :)

Black Intercooler + Pipe Kit For A3/S3 / VW Golf GTI R MK7 EA888 1.8T 2.0T TSI| | - AliExpress

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
CTS stock mount is on sale now for $639

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Honestly, it's just another Chinese made one that doesn't even perform as well as this one for $300 more.
dunno. it will depend on use. Data from mygolfmk7.com would suggest otherwise.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
For those interested, this is probably the best deal out there anywhere right now on a Magic/Majesty version. I matched dimension specs exactly, many other AliExpress ones are only 2" and not 2.5" thick like this/Majesty. They also claim a pretty speedy shipping time (2 weeks) and is $344 total including hoses. Honestly, if there were only a few left I wouldn't even share since I'm gonna order one, but there are 100+ available. :)

Black Intercooler + Pipe Kit For A3/S3 / VW Golf GTI R MK7 EA888 1.8T 2.0T TSI| | - AliExpress
This looks different and cheaper than my majesty. This also appears to be tube and fin and not bar and plate

Last edited:

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
dunno. it will depend on use. Data from mygolfmk7.com would suggest otherwise.
Not many models have actual IAC temp test results including the Majesty. To me, more volume and bar and plate vs. tube and fin along with anecdotal reports earlier in this thread show the CTS isn't as good. It's not bad at all, and fits better but this one actually performs even better.

Edit: I see what you mean, I think they are about the same... it's known to be better than Wagner but they didn't test the SMIC Majesty, so it may be worth it for easier install for some.

Last edited: