GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
DSG sure when i install it i will update

The competition ic is a copy of the wagner ic they even copied the description from their website and they just deleted the word wagner. I wanted to know how it performs if it has similar IATS like the wagner
Oh, well, that is what this entire thread is about, the "70mm competition" one you ordered is the Magic/Majesty one the subject of this entire thread. :)
And yeah, it performs really well, at the expense of a bit of fitment issues.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
weigh it when you get it. Wagner is an outlier in terms of weight (much lighter than most aftermarket bar and plate).

I thought someone DID weigh it, here or on another thread, and it turned out to be in the mid-20s, significantly more than Wagner.

edit: see post 41 of this thread. If comment is accurate, this is not the same intercooler as the Wagner made for our cars.

Last edited:

Hymk7

Car(s)
Mk7
Oh, well, that is what this entire thread is about, the "70mm competition" one you ordered is the Magic/Majesty one the subject of this entire thread. :)
And yeah, it performs really well, at the expense of a bit of fitment issues.
Actually i read almost all the thread everyone was talking about the bar and plate i didnt see them talk about the tube and fin thats why i asked thanks by the way bud
weigh it when you get it. Wagner is an outlier in terms of weight (much lighter than most aftermarket bar and plate).

I thought someone DID weigh it, here or on another thread, and it turned out to be in the mid-20s, significantly more than Wagner.

edit: see post 41 of this thread. If comment is accurate, this is not the same intercooler as the Wagner made for our cars.
I saw a post somewhere that someone weighed it it was very close almost the same as wagner

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Actually i read almost all the thread everyone was talking about the bar and plate i didnt see them talk about the tube and fin thats why i asked thanks by the way bud

I saw a post somewhere that someone weighed it it was very close almost the same as wagner
you will find out for sure when it arrives.

edit: here's what Wagner claims for theirs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121-115725.png
    Screenshot_20220121-115725.png
    361.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would be more concerned with fitment then the few degrees that one runs cooler than another. In the grand scheme of things a few degrees isn't significant but ease of installation is.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI

But again, I see both a thinner model and the "70mm" one both listed and only the thinner one is advertised as fin and tube. So isn't the "70mm" the original bar and plate model discussed in this thread or is that one no longer available? Although identical in size to the original, is the "70mm" is now fin and tube now also or are there 3 Magic/Majesty options now? Just trying to figure this all out along with you apparently, lol... In any case, fin and tube is lighter and actually preferred by many, although it does heat up faster than bar and plate it does cool off faster as well. It was explained by intercooler manufacturers that bar and plate is actually much easier to make so the clones were originally mostly bar and plate but as time has gone on, fin and tube are more popular as the more intensive manufacturing of them has become cheaper/easier.

Hymk7

Car(s)
Mk7
But again, I see both a thinner model and the "70mm" one both listed and only the thinner one is advertised as fin and tube. So isn't the "70mm" the original bar and plate model discussed in this thread or is that one no longer available? Although identical in size to the original, is the "70mm" is now fin and tube now also or are there 3 Magic/Majesty options now? Just trying to figure this all out along with you apparently, lol... In any case, fin and tube is lighter and actually preferred by many, although it does heat up faster than bar and plate it does cool off faster as well. It was explained by intercooler manufacturers that bar and plate is actually much easier to make so the clones were originally mostly bar and plate but as time has gone on, fin and tube are more popular as the more intensive manufacturing of them has become cheaper/easier.
You can still find bar and plate majesty but not as much as tube and fin and the one i got is the same size as the wagner ic even the description says tube and fin competition u can also find tube and fin in smaller sizes but my biggest concern is if people recommend it if anyone has tried it every thread i read and every post people recommend majesty but i didnt see anyone that tried the competition at last i ordered and fingers crossed

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
You can still find bar and plate majesty but not as much as tube and fin and the one i got is the same size as the wagner ic even the description says tube and fin competition u can also find tube and fin in smaller sizes but my biggest concern is if people recommend it if anyone has tried it every thread i read and every post people recommend majesty but i didnt see anyone that tried the competition at last i ordered and fingers crossed
Got ya, so there *are* 3 different versions out there, this I did not realize... I'm hopeful this newer (?) fin and tube version of the original works well and perhaps even fits better, so please let us know how it turns out, I'm looking for stock mount location upgrade by the summer.

Hymk7

Car(s)
Mk7
Got ya, so there *are* 3 different versions out there, this I did not realize... I'm hopeful this newer (?) fin and tube version of the original works well and perhaps even fits better, so please let us know how it turns out, I'm looking for stock mount location upgrade by the summer.
Sure i'll update

Sergiomr

Car(s)
A3 8v 2.0 190cv
Hello good morning, I am writing to you from Spain, my English may not be very high. Excuse me. I wanted to find out about this intercooler, the first thing I didn't understand is what you all mean when you talk about the tube and fin version or the bar and plate version. What does this mean exactly? My car is an Audi A3 8V year 2017 engine code CZPB 2.0 190cv quattro S tronic. I am following this ad € 338.03 10% DISCOUNT | Racing Intercooler fit for MK7 GTI Golf R VAG 1.8T 2.0T 8V A3 S3 70MM Inlets
Screenshot_2022-01-26-09-16-04-175_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

https://a.aliexpress.com/_uJ030q thank you very much mates!!

Hymk7

Car(s)
Mk7
For those who asked for the weight i saw a post someone weighed it thats the "70MM competition" wagner clone its the same weight as the wagner

Attachments

• 125F9990-5397-4E25-9CD4-E3D308B3ED74.png
    125F9990-5397-4E25-9CD4-E3D308B3ED74.png
    7 MB · Views: 98

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Hello good morning, I am writing to you from Spain, my English may not be very high. Excuse me. I wanted to find out about this intercooler, the first thing I didn't understand is what you all mean when you talk about the tube and fin version or the bar and plate version. What does this mean exactly? My car is an Audi A3 8V year 2017 engine code CZPB 2.0 190cv quattro S tronic. I am following this ad € 338.03 10% DISCOUNT | Racing Intercooler fit for MK7 GTI Golf R VAG 1.8T 2.0T 8V A3 S3 70MM InletsView attachment 236957
They are two visible differences in how the core is constructed. In this post, I pasted some replies I got from manufacturers about the differences.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Hello good morning, I am writing to you from Spain, my English may not be very high. Excuse me. I wanted to find out about this intercooler, the first thing I didn't understand is what you all mean when you talk about the tube and fin version or the bar and plate version. What does this mean exactly? My car is an Audi A3 8V year 2017 engine code CZPB 2.0 190cv quattro S tronic. I am following this ad € 338.03 10% DISCOUNT | Racing Intercooler fit for MK7 GTI Golf R VAG 1.8T 2.0T 8V A3 S3 70MM InletsView attachment 236957
A lot of it comes from the old school knowledge of Tube and fin being better for Air to fluid cooling, and Bar and plate being better for Air to Air cooling. So your radiator and AC condensor will probably be tube and fin, as they have a liquid medium going through them to be cooled by air.

https://www.bestcarsessex.com/bar-and-plate-vs-tube-and-fin-intercooler