GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Made a seemingly minor code change and now my car is stupid.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
Posted this in random stupid questions thread but whatever.

Something really stupid happened and I'm not sure if it's because of me or some gross coincidence.

Yesterday, I used obdeleven to allow me to use central locking with remote while the engine is running. Today, after a few short trips, the car started dinging and displaying "attention: the engine is running" in the dash whenever the car was not moving. And then, I noticed that the driver's side mirror turn signal was not working, OR it would be actually lit up. And, the driver's side ambient lighting was fully bright, and the switch/handle illumination were both on, with the anti theft LEDs flashing as if the car was parked/locked.

I did a quick search while waiting at a train crossing and saw something about dying keyfob battery.

Anyway, I got to my destination and set the central locking while engine running back to OFF because I don't want to deal with this shit.

It seemed to do the trick for the most part. But now, my driver's side fog light does not work if I pull back on the switch to turn fogs on. It turns on for cornering/turn signals, etc. What the hell? Also, when I left the car in my garage, the driver's side door ambient lighting, etc. was still on for like 15 minutes. I checked on it and then went back inside to grab the other keyfob and when I got to the car the lights were off. Coincidence or not?

I'd imagine a dying keyfob battery would be simple enough to have the MFD display "change keyfob battery" or something... Did I break something with the stupid obdeleven test?

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
That sounds really odd. I have that enabled on mine and so far no issues. I manually change the codes through long coding partly because I was under the impression that the apps in OBDeleven were user created and I can't preview the coding changes before they happen. If you used an app, perhaps the coding changed more than the central locking function and changed other random settings? If you didn't use an app to apply this tweak then I would assume this is just a compatibility error.

I know you can verify and change the coding for the exterior lighting, but I forget which module and leuchte channel the fog lights are using. I believe that there is a mk7 to mk7.5 Euro Taillights oem retrofit thread that goes through each leuchte channel.

When the key battery gets low, the MFD notifies you of it before any performance issues occur.

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
Posted this in random stupid questions thread but whatever.

Something really stupid happened and I'm not sure if it's because of me or some gross coincidence.

Yesterday, I used obdeleven to allow me to use central locking with remote while the engine is running. Today, after a few short trips, the car started dinging and displaying "attention: the engine is running" in the dash whenever the car was not moving. And then, I noticed that the driver's side mirror turn signal was not working, OR it would be actually lit up. And, the driver's side ambient lighting was fully bright, and the switch/handle illumination were both on, with the anti theft LEDs flashing as if the car was parked/locked.

I did a quick search while waiting at a train crossing and saw something about dying keyfob battery.

Anyway, I got to my destination and set the central locking while engine running back to OFF because I don't want to deal with this shit.

It seemed to do the trick for the most part. But now, my driver's side fog light does not work if I pull back on the switch to turn fogs on. It turns on for cornering/turn signals, etc. What the hell? Also, when I left the car in my garage, the driver's side door ambient lighting, etc. was still on for like 15 minutes. I checked on it and then went back inside to grab the other keyfob and when I got to the car the lights were off. Coincidence or not?

I'd imagine a dying keyfob battery would be simple enough to have the MFD display "change keyfob battery" or something... Did I break something with the stupid obdeleven test?
I had a friend in high school with a beater diesel Rabbit. It did things like you turn on the radio and the wipers would activate.

I don't think the Germans have necessarily gotten better with electricity since.

Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
This is a change I'm always confused why people do it. Why do you need to use the fob while the car is on?

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
This is a change I'm always confused why people do it. Why do you need to use the fob while the car is on?
I often times make very short drives to a corner store or something before heading out on a longer trip. I'd rather leave my engine running while running into the store for a couple minutes to help the oil warm up as much as possible before jumping on the highway (I live a few minutes from the highway entrance).

But that's neither here nor there. Point is, something is messed up. Update:

Yesterday I learned that the driver's side door does not lock with the keyfob or touching the handle. All the other doors lock except for the driver's door. At that point, if I don't have the fob with me, I can open the driver's door but pressing the unlock button on the door does not unlock anything else. So, it's as if the car maybe thinks the door is open which could explain the strange mirror turn signal behavior, door light behavior, etc.? Today I found that if I close my door a bit harder, it has a higher chance of the car working as normal. Not always, but sometimes, it can help. But, I discovered that when brakes are on, a few of the LEDs in the tail lights flicker. This was not the case when first installed.