GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Macan Vs TTS callipers

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
@Clem604 I know you did the OBD11 mod, is your car and R or Gti? What OBD11 mods did you do, all of them or just some of them?
My car is a GTI and I changed 2 adaptations in the Brake Module (03)
I changed the "Brake Booster" setting from 4 to 1
I changed the "Hydraulic Brake Assistant" from Normal to Not Activated

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
View attachment 187233View attachment 187234
So as per my last post, the TTS callipers are now fitted along with the Club Sport rotors. I decided to paint the hubs black and I think that they look pretty good.
The brakes will need to bed in and Tarox (I've fitted Tarox Strada pads) recommend gentle braking for the first couple of hundred miles. The brake pedal feels really quite good atm but I'm interested in seeing what the OBD11 mod would be like.
@Clem604 I know you did the OBD11 mod, is your car and R or Gti? What OBD11 mods did you do, all of them or just some of them?
@VAG Parts Bin did you ever do the OBD11 mod or have you left everything as standard?

Looks good!

I did the OBD11 mods.

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Looks good!

I did the OBD11 mods.

Thanks. I have a DPB R the same
as you I think.
You have an R right?
How were your brakes before and and after the OBD11 mods?
Are they easy to do as I’ve only ever used the Apps?
Are they reversible of you don’t like them?

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
My car is a GTI and I changed 2 adaptations in the Brake Module (03)
I changed the "Brake Booster" setting from 4 to 1
I changed the "Hydraulic Brake Assistant" from Normal to Not Activated
Did you need to use the security codes as per page one on the Macan thread?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Did you need to use the security codes as per page one on the Macan thread?
Yes the codes are needed. To answer your other 2 questions these brake adaptations are almost as easy to so as using the app and the changes are saved in the history should you want to reverse it. It's nice to do the coding yourself as you can see exactly where the changes were made.

Last edited:

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Just a quick blurb to note that both 17x8 ET45 and 17x7.5 ET45 wheels fit with a spacer. I am guessing a 6mm spacer would do fine although the spoke would most likely only clear by a razor thin margin. The smallest spacer I had on hand to test was a 10mm and that provided ample clearance.

Here is a pic of the 17x8 test mounted. I didn't think to take one of the 17x7.5

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Is that a Costco Jack?
If it is, how did you get it under the inner mounting point to fit the axle stand on the outer pinch mounting point?
I'm having to use 2 jacks to get the axle stands on the pinch mounting points.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Is that a Costco Jack?
If it is, how did you get it under the inner mounting point to fit the axle stand on the outer pinch mounting point?
I'm having to use 2 jacks to get the axle stands on the pinch mounting points.

It's a Pittsburgh Automotive jack sold at Harbor Freight.

I don't see my exact model listed anymore, but I believe this is the same item with a different pn:

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...n-heavy-duty-rapid-pump-floor-jack-64260.html

The stands are 30 year old Craftsman stands I got a Sears not long after I got out of high school. While I have a set of shorty ESCO stands, I prefer using the old Sears ones as they don't have as large of a footprint as the ESCO ones and fit better on the pinch points with the jack on the Audi jacking pad.

These look almost identical to my 30 year old stands other than the color:

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-ton-high-lift-jack-stands/p-00950159000P

Here are the excellent (albeit too wide for this use) ESCO stands:
https://www.amazon.com/Esco-10499-Adjustable-Shorty-Profile/dp/B07Y2BRPC5

Last edited:

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
My stands are obviously too wide.
I have to jack the car up with a small trolley jack on the pinch point, I then have to use the larger trolley (low profile) Cosco jack under the subframe bolt. That then takes the weight for me to remove the small jack and replace it with my axle stand. Its a bit of a ball ache but it works

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
How's the initial engagement for the TTS? I know the Macan calipers seem to be high retraction which makes for long throw before engagement. Is the TTS similar or does it yield a hard, high pedal?

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Mine seems fine. It's been a few months since I did the conversion, and not driving anywhere near as much as I used to, I don't have fresh memories of exactly how they used to feel. I do know that when the install was first done that the pedal had to go WAY down to engage, and doing the OBD11 mods fixed that right up. I really have no complaints with the conversion, other than my brake squeal when cold that I posted about in another thread but I don't think that the calipers have anything to do with that.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Same with me, no difference in engagement VS PP brakes after I did the OBD11 mods. I drove without the OBD 11 mods for a while when I first installed them and the brakes felt kinda weird.

Last edited:

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
I wanted to mention my issue when I swapped from 19" wheels to 17" wheels for winter so others can be aware.

I bought a set of 17x8 ET45 Bremmer Kraft BR16's on closeout from Tire Rack to replace my 17x7.5 ET45 winter-mode Replika R195's as I wanted to change things up a bit. Test fitment went well (see photo in post 351) however once I had the tires mounted and put them onto the car, I ran into an issue with the RF wheel as I was hearing a rotational rub/tap when in motion. I found that the tap went away when I swapped wheels, so it was an issue with the one particular wheel. I then swapped the "bad" wheel back on and held it in place with my hands and slowly rotated it until I heard the rubbing. Turns out that as the wheel weights passed over the caliper they would make ever so slight impact with the top edge. The wheel in question had a strip of 7 wheel weights in a row that somehow affected the clearance of the curvature enough to cause impact. The wheel that was swapped over that didn't rub had only had 3 weights in a row and it cleared the caliper fine.

Here is a shot of where the wheel weights were rubbing the caliper:

Just be aware that if you have too many weights in a row then the above may happen. It will probably come down to the particular wheel.

The guys at Discount Tire were very cool about it and re-balanced the tire and relocated them a little more inboard to be safe.

Last edited: