GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Macan Vs TTS callipers

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I get what you're saying, but these cars have abs, brake boost, and tons of weird stuffi going on with the brake system.

You have two people that swapped rotors and had everything firm up. Why? I don't know.

Swapping rotors requires removing the calipers which means you're moving things around. Very possible these are prone to bubbles being trapped somewhere in the caliper, and by changing the angle of the caliper you freed the bubble, which allowed it to travel back to the reservoir.

There's a lot of stuff going on but there's no way that width is going to make a difference except the first 5-10 times you pump the pedal until the calipers adjust to the rotor thickness.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Swapping rotors requires removing the calipers which means you're moving things around. Very possible these are prone to bubbles being trapped somewhere in the caliper, and by changing the angle of the caliper you freed the bubble, which allowed it to travel back to the reservoir.

There's a lot of stuff going on but there's no way that width is going to make a difference except the first 5-10 times you pump the pedal until the calipers adjust to the rotor thickness.

Totally possible.

All I know is there were spongy, I swappes rotors, sponginess went away. Maybe even just the act of speaking the pistons got somw trapped air out of there.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
So, I bed in the brakes pads while the pedal pressure was shit and drove around for a bit yesterday. I rebled the brakes this morning manually and there was a ton of air coming out the rear calipers. Everything is perfect now.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think I figured out why the brakes are so weird feeling. Even after I got them to firm up, they never really felt like I'm used to in my old STI or 911. I bought OBD11 to make some changes for track and had an ah ha moment.

The last change to make was for hydraulic brake assist, but I couldn't get it to work in OBD11 because I didn't have the correct security code. Took a couple of days to find it, but in the meantime, I drove around with the other changes and brakes felt the same. I finally found the code and deactivated Hydraulic brake assistance in the 03 module and they brakes actually work like a normal car now. Holy cow, night and day difference.

Here are some of the changes, but hydraulic brake assist is the only one your notice in everyday driving.

03 braking module security code 25757 worked for straight ahead brake stabilization. Turned it off and it'll allow trail braking into a corner without the abs fighting you.
03 braking module security code11966 worked for hydraulic brake assist. Removes the computer controlled brake boost that smooths out your braking and boosts braking pressure in panic stops. Gives you 100% control of brake pressure. Pedal felt amazing after turning off.
32 locking electronic module security code 20103 worked for Expanded differential locking. Set to increase traction and it will increase the pressure to the VAQ and lock the diff quicker and with more force. It might increase pump noise, but that's about it.

These will work on any PP whether you have Brembos or the stock PP brakes.

Enjoy.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
03 braking module security code11966 worked for hydraulic brake assist. Removes the computer controlled brake boost that smooths out your braking and boosts braking pressure in panic stops. Gives you 100% control of brake pressure. Pedal felt amazing after turning off.
Thanks for this bit of info, just made the change on my car with the TTS brakes and drove around. Pedal feel is much improved, it has a more linear pedal feel just like the Brembo's I had on my old MK5.

Last edited:

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Brake assist has been off on my car yet I felt it on the 340mm rotors but it could have been bubbles. There are a couple other good brake and steering mods in that thread ?

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
I think I figured out why the brakes are so weird feeling. Even after I got them to firm up, they never really felt like I'm used to in my old STI or 911. I bought OBD11 to make some changes for track and had an ah ha moment.

The last change to make was for hydraulic brake assist, but I couldn't get it to work in OBD11 because I didn't have the correct security code. Took a couple of days to find it, but in the meantime, I drove around with the other changes and brakes felt the same. I finally found the code and deactivated Hydraulic brake assistance in the 03 module and they brakes actually work like a normal car now. Holy cow, night and day difference.

Here are some of the changes, but hydraulic brake assist is the only one your notice in everyday driving.

03 braking module security code 25757 worked for straight ahead brake stabilization. Turned it off and it'll allow trail braking into a corner without the abs fighting you.
32 locking electronic module security code 20103 worked for Expanded differential locking. Set to increase traction and it will increase the pressure to the VAQ and lock the diff quicker and with more force. It might increase pump noise, but that's about it.

These will work on any PP whether you have Brembos or the stock PP brakes.

Enjoy.

Hmm, I'm curious to try this on my car. With the TTRS brakes I got the pedal rock hard when bleeding it with the car off, but once you turn it on things feel quite different. I figured it was due to the various computer controlled systems but didn't realize I could mess with those in OBD11. Thanks for posting the info! (y)

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
07D45238-79D1-4765-B9C8-80D75072D880.jpeg

I keep getting this error for the two brake mods. I’ve used the security codes too.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
View attachment 163753
I keep getting this error for the two brake mods. I’ve used the security codes too.

Are you doing that on your GTI or Alltrack? It seems that different models have different codes and even face lift GTI might be different than pre face lift.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
In addition to turning off the "Hydraulic Brake Assist" I also changed the values of the "Brake Booster" adaptation and the brake pedal feels even further improved than before. The pedal feel is awesome and it is what I was looking for when swapped my PP brakes for the TT-S. From factory the "Brake Booster" value is set at 4 and I changed it to 1, I highly recommend it!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know what the Fill/bleed brake system does in Basic settings? I'm wondering if this is how you bleed air out of the abs pump?

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Does anyone know what the Fill/bleed brake system does in Basic settings? I'm wondering if this is how you bleed air out of the abs pump?

Probably a better idea to ask the more OBD11/VDCS focused thread on this. I'd like to know as well.

2016 A3. Was your car running when you did this?

I think it was the Hydraulic Brake Assist that I had to do it with the car on, but engine off. The Brake Booster setting I was able to change with the engine on this morning

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Yeah. Nothing is working. Weird.