GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Macan Vs TTS callipers

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Test fitted some A6 Peelers I picked up tonight. They are 19x8.5 +48. Looked good with a 10mm Spacer and with a 5mm as well.

Attachments

• 9EB257AB-8BE7-4534-BB81-E358C6ABD4CD.jpeg
    9EB257AB-8BE7-4534-BB81-E358C6ABD4CD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 242
  • 64091FA1-9858-45E0-A42F-ABA6A6DC402B.jpeg
    64091FA1-9858-45E0-A42F-ABA6A6DC402B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 236
  • 4ED51427-B74F-4E13-8157-7A367FC937E4.jpeg
    4ED51427-B74F-4E13-8157-7A367FC937E4.jpeg
    893.9 KB · Views: 226

Csm_2016gti

Does anyone know if any of the rotors previously suggested have greater rotor hat thickness then the other?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on everything needed to do the Macan brake upgrade, and would like to get the tolerance right before hand, but also don't want to end up with wheel poke.

I have S3 wheels for my mk7 GTI (pretty similar to Pretoria's spec wise 19x8 et49) https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...double-5-spoke-wheel-priced-each/8v0601025ab/
Compared to stock Austin wheels, they sit 6.3mm further out, and most GTI wheel spacer flush kits are 15mm in the front. So I was thinking ideally a 10mm spacer.
When I test the template to the S3 wheels, it looks like a 10mm spacer is going to be alittle too close for comfort. So i'm wondering what to expect from the rotor hats.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No appreciable difference in rotor hats. From my experience, you're going to need a 15mm spacer with any VAG factory wheel that didn't come with 4 or 6 pots from the factory.

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
How is everyone going about bleeding them? I installed Macan calipers with new S3 rears. I’ve bled the system twice with a power bleeder while manually bleeding as well. The second time around there was no air. My pedal is terrible and feels like there’s still air. I have to pump the pedal to get full stiffness to brake while
Driving.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
How is everyone going about bleeding them? I installed Macan calipers with new S3 rears. I’ve bled the system twice with a power bleeder while manually bleeding as well. The second time around there was no air. My pedal is terrible and feels like there’s still air. I have to pump the pedal to get full stiffness to brake while
Driving.

What rotors?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
340x30

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Mine felt same way until I moved to 345 x 32. Can't explain why, but it's likely something to do with ABS calibration. Get the correct rotors and the brakes will feel normal.

They really are the right rotor for this upgrade. Fit much better and are a real upgrade.

In the meantime, I've heard threshold braking from 80 mph couple times will recalibtate abs.

Last edited:

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Mine felt same way until I moved to 345 x 32. Can't explain why, but it's likely something to do with ABS calibration. Get the correct rotors and the brakes will feel normal.

They really are the right rotor for this upgrade. Fit much better and are a real upgrade.

In the meantime, I've heard threshold braking from 80 mph couple times will recalibtate abs.
What 345mm rotor are you using? I see mk6 R as 30mm wide

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What 345mm rotor are you using? I see mk6 R as 30mm wide

Hmmmmm, I could have sworn mk6 R were 32mm wide. I uses Zimmerman. When I swapped in the new rotors, everything firmed up.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's entirely possible that just resetting the pistons and braking in pads reset the abs.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
2mm shouldn't make any difference at all with new pads. Calipers are all self adjusting, or your brakes would go to sh*t every time you wore your pads down 1mm each. The only time 2mm in width matters is towards the end of the very end of pad wear where you might push pistons out too far... but 1mm each side is NOT going to make a difference unless you do something stupid like take your pads down to bare metal.

Not to mention the Macan brake rotors are 30mm, as are the Q5s.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Hmmmmm, I could have sworn mk6 R were 32mm wide. I uses Zimmerman. When I swapped in the new rotors, everything firmed up.
I had the exact experience moving from the MK7R to MK6R Zimmerman rotors and it was noticable before bleeding.

I'm still not a big fan of the amount of pad deposits left by the Powerstop Z23 pads paired with the coated Zimmerman rotors. It's was enough to feel until I deburred the pads (no I do not condone reusing pads ??)

The Centric 104/StopTech 308 are going on next. They have been great in the past and it's just $30 for science!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
2mm shouldn't make any difference at all with new pads. Calipers are all self adjusting, or your brakes would go to sh*t every time you wore your pads down 1mm each. The only time 2mm in width matters is towards the end of the very end of pad wear where you might push pistons out too far... but 1mm each side is NOT going to make a difference unless you do something stupid like take your pads down to bare metal.

Not to mention the Macan brake rotors are 30mm, as are the Q5s.

I get what you're saying, but these cars have abs, brake boost, and tons of weird stuffi going on with the brake system.

You have two people that swapped rotors and had everything firm up. Why? I don't know.

Last edited: