GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Macan Vs TTS callipers

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes I am tracking on road courses. My now damaged 986 Boxster Brembos saw 7 track weekends this year and the top loading design was key to making early morning pad changes almost enjoyable.
I specifically want the Macan calipers for the top loading design. 10% unswept inside area with the Power Stop pads is perfectly functional. I plan to run the same size pads for street and race compounds so I can reuse rotors. But if a full swept pad exists it would make this the perfect OEM+ mod

I'm hoping the Power Stop pads cover better. I'll know by next weekend. Holding them up to the rotor, they almost cover the entire braking surface, so it's come down to how placement is with Macan calipers.

I'm also trying to find an old set of mk6 rotors to test fit too. Maybe the RS3 pads would provide more coverage and we could increase the size of the rotor too. I'm going to play around until I figure it out. I've been ordering pads on amazon so I can test fit and return if they don't work. Thanks Jeff Bezos.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mustang with Brembo and 355mm rotors list the same Power Stop part number too. hmmmmmm. No fronts listed for RS3. I'll have to search Pagid .

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Does anybody have a stock pads lying around that could take basic measurements of the actual brake pad material? I'm wondering how much more pad coverage you actually get with these compared to stock.

Even better if you can place pads on a scanner (contact patch down - even better if you have pads for Macan calipers too), I can take area measurements for comparison.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Does anybody have a stock pads lying around that could take basic measurements of the actual brake pad material? I'm wondering how much more pad coverage you actually get with these compared to stock.

Even better if you can place pads on a scanner (contact patch down - even better if you have pads for Macan calipers too), I can take area measurements for comparison.
I don't think these or the Macan pads have more surface area than stock, though I could be wrong. All you're gaining is adding lightness, looks cool, and for track rats, ease of swapping back and forth between street and track pads up front.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I don't think these or the Macan pads have more surface area than stock, though I could be wrong. All you're gaining is adding lightness, looks cool, and for track rats, ease of swapping back and forth between street and track pads up front.

A 4pot caliper should also lead to better pedal feel and consistency. "Should" being the operative word!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'll let you all know.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The 77.5 is probably just manufacturing tolerances. The 60mm is definitely a functional difference though. Here's brembo's drawing of our calipers:

View attachment 160604
67mm is the disc surface height. Assuming 3mm at the outside edge, that's 4mm on the inside edge which isn't bad.

For reference, the Macan disc is 65.5mm. the Genesis is 62.5.
Can you find the brembo drawing for mk6 R?

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
curious but did the macan calipers eyelets ( mounting the caliper to the splindle) have to be reduced to fit our 12mm bolts properly

Did you mean 21mm bolts? The calipers should bolt directly to the aluminum knuckles with the same OEM bolts that hold the stock caliper carriers

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
ok, so a 14mm bolt passes through the knuckle hole them?
i think i had this backwards. i had it in my head that the knuckle is threaded and the bolt passes through the caliper eyelets

The bolt is 21mm, and the knuckle gets sandwiched between the bolt head and the Macan caliper (imagine the calipers are the carriers in the DAP video).

There should be no modification required on the bolt, caliper, or knuckle for a Golf R or GTI AFAIK

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Looking at both mk6 R and mk7 PP rotors indicate that the 66mm pad height of the Power Stop pads will provide perfect coverage of the braking surface of the rotor as long as the pad is able to be positioned correctly over the rotor.

nono0044, can you measure the pad height of you STI pads and see if the material is in fact 55mm or 60mm like mine. Also, is there some overhang of your pads on the outer diameter of the rotor? If so, how much? If you can't, I'll be test fitting this weekend.

Last edited:

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Looking at both mk6 R and mk7 PP rotors indicate that the 66mm pad height of the Power Stop pads will provide perfect coverage of the braking surface of the rotor as long as the pad is able to be positioned correctly over the rotor.

nono0044, can you measure the pad height of you STI pads and see if the material is in fact 55mm or 60mm like mine. Also, is there some overhang of your pads on the outer diameter of the rotor? If so, how much? If you can't, I'll be test fitting this weekend.

Just measured my Endless pads: 60mm

Uh I'll have to remove the Centric pads to measure the height and double check if theres an overhand or not. But visually looking, the pads are dead on to the edge of the rotor

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just measured my Endless pads: 60mm

Uh I'll have to remove the Centric pads to measure the height and double check if theres an overhand or not. But visually looking, the pads are dead on to the edge of the rotor

That's interesting. The pads are 60mm in height and the swept area height is 67mm for PP and 66.5 for the mk6 R then we'll always have significant unswept area. I'll measure PP pad height this weekend.

Last edited: